Sign in to follow this  
tai_180sx

The R31 RB25/30 Skyline Project

Ok, well you all would have seen my other post that i've just bought my new turbo. As of today the project has pretty much started. I'm sourcing the last of the parts and its nearly ready to go.

I will keep updating this post as i work on the car.

For now, most of the pics will be the same as what was in the other topic. I've included a few pics of the R31 beast with (thanks to Will) the white door.

Ok so basically the project starts as an R31 skyline, RB30E Auto. The plan is to creat a powerfull track/street sleeper. Essentially the outside of the car won't chance much. A few little things here and there, but other than the huge widebody guards to fit the 19x9.5" and 19x10.5" wheels and slightly lowered, the car will essentially look stock.

As stated in the other topic, the turbo is losely based on a GT42, but has smaller compressor wheels and should come on boost a lot quicker. I'm aiming for 300 to 400rwkw.

I am doing a full 5 stud conversion and running S13 coilover suspension.

Not sure on brakes yet, but I may go something huge, or I may go R32 GTR brakes, not entirely sure yet, it will depend on how much money I have left.

I am running a greddy style intake manifold, 90mm throttle body and 770cc injectors. On the exahust side a stainless steel top mount manifold, 38mm external wastegate and a custom 3" mild steel exahust with a twin 3" tip muffler.

Everything will controlled via the EMS 8860 ECU.

For now the motor will be running standard pistons with new rings and bearings and then once I have it all running I will start to build up a new motor with forged pistons, rods and maybe a stroked crank.... The head will have new Non VCT cams with adjustable cam gears, heavy duty valve springs and I will leave the standard size valves...for now.

post-2246-1242891374.jpg

post-2246-1242891377_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1242891380_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1242891384_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1242891390_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1242891396_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1242891400_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1242891404_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1242891408_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1242891412_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1242891416_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1242891421_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1242891425_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1242891429_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1242891434_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1242891438_thumb.jpg

Edited by tai_180sx

this thing we call a bonnet.... u plan to close it how?

:P

Essentially the outside of the car won't chance much.... other than the huge widebody guards..

ROR... Raff Out Roud :P

Tai youre a psycho...

ror.jpg

lol.... The pic of the turbo is sitting on top of the manifold. The manifold will have to be modified to fit the new (bigger) flange so the turbo will bolt on...

have a look at this pic http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.p...t&id=223218 you can see that the flange of the turbo is 1/2 as much bigger again than the T3 flange...

So basically the turbo will sit about 1" lower than where it is now. And the Rb25's have always been a fairly short motor, with the RB30 block and that big turbo...hmm bonnnet may go close... nothing and angle grinder wont fix :P

Nah, should fit fine.

man sozz to say but can think of a better cars for this motor to go in , good luck with it anyway

man i love it when you get pissy lmao man sozz never been a fan of the r31 skylines should have put it in a sil or 180

i suppose your always gonna get single minded people like you on a Silvia forum and i'm sure a lot of people would prefer to see me put this in a silvia or 180... putting this in a silvia would not make it a sleeper, i'd prefer to put this in a datto or something old and unlikely to have a good motor in it, the R31 is perfect.

I'm sick of owning cars that can't be driven everywhere and you have to worry about them being scratched/stolen in car parks... I always want power over looks as i love a fast car and there are soo many options for the old R31 skyline... including all S13 suspension. So essentially i'm gonna have a fast car that will (hopefully) handle well and I wont' have to worry about where its parked, no ones gonna want to steal it and the cops will probably leave me alone too... Plus I won't get losers in slow cars trying to race me at the lights..

What I am considering doing is taking it to the track after different modifications to see what advantages each mod does for the car in terms of track times.. Would be interesting but I think i'll modify it too quickly to be able to get it to the track between mods.

Edited by tai_180sx

i have a datto 1600 rally car if you want to change your mind lol but sleeper wise you are better off in the r31

lol, i'd love a 1600 rally car, although if i had one i'd be putting in an sr20det.

i was going to put the old sr20de in it till it broke now my old man (half mine half his) is thinking of selling it to focus more on the 928 and hilman (dont get me started on the hilman)

what kind of Hillman is it Stu, Imp?

hunter i think he got it after i moved out and used to rally one back in the day (before i was around) and was one of his fave cars (dont know why) plans are to at this point paint it hemi orange and a motor hasnt been decided on as of yet.

Can I please get some honest opinions on how to build my widebody panels...

Basically I have a few idea's but its hard to see what they'll look like without actually building it.. So i've made a couple out of paper and masking tape. The third idea I had was to build the rear door into the widebody, its hard to explain and even harder to build out of paper, but i'll see if i can find any pics of similar setups... Would appreciate it if anyone is good at photoshop to build a few pics for me.....

EDIT: I've found a pic of a 4 door 34 with a widebody similar to what i mean.

post-2246-1243133145_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1243133149_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1243133152_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1243133155_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1243133762_thumb.jpg

Edited by tai_180sx

Put the engine in a ef falcon. Like one of those excabs with the yellow paint and grey bumpers, now that would be a sleeper.

i couldn't bring myself to drive an ef falcon, even if it was the ultimate sleeper...

i couldn't bring myself to drive an ef falcon, even if it was the ultimate sleeper...

Put it in a Supra :P

I would start by gluing foam to the car, then cutting and sanding it back, then layer it with clay for a more detailed and a smooth surface, then layer on the fibre glass. You will need some gigs clamped to the car to keep you angles aligned and straight

i think square pumped guards is a better look then anything rounded, this should suit the car. Something similar to the R34 would looked good.

I also suggest you wait for the rims to arrive before you start this work, the offset will determine a lot of other measurements, im sure you judged and measured it closely. I would still wait.

from what ive seen, basiclly exactly the same as whats done to the 34 you have posted and start the flare at the front of the back door but it is hard to get a side skirt to fit after doing this(dont know if youll run them or not). and there is the problem of getting a ef to handle!!!!!!!!!!

Will, there is no way i'm stupid enough to start this until the wheels are here...lol

Also i'm not gonna build the widebody the way you want me to.. I'll show you what i'm gonna do when your around next..

Stew, not gonna run side skirts... as seen in my pics, i'm gonna flare out the sill panels to suit the widebody front and rear panels, then the car will be lowered a bit.. no fibreglass bodykit to get broken then...

I will be building a custom front and rear bars, won't be low though and will be more because i think the widebody will look crap without some styling to the front and rear.

My favourites are definately the big square pumped rear guards and the R34 style..

I was driving a R31 for quite a while... it handled way better than I thought it was going to.. I think it is the perfect sleeper!

yeah they are supprisingly comfotable and this is the silhouette version too, so all electrical options...

The thing i like about using a cheap car ($200) you can easily source parts but i'm happy to cut up parts, custom make parts and basically do whatever I want to the car and not have to worry about wrecking something that is actually worth money.

for the love of god do not create one of these j-racing style lego piece wide body kits!! they look like square sections of foam that have been stuck on and ruin all lines of the car...

sif J-Racing do shit work... i cant imagine handing over thousands and thousands and getting shit quality.. doesnt sound like them at all!!!

sif J-Racing do shit work... i cant imagine handing over thousands and thousands and getting shit quality.. doesnt sound like them at all!!!

no... not at all :lol: