Sign in to follow this  
tai_180sx

The R31 RB25/30 Skyline Project

Hmm i don't like either of those pictures... I think my idea is going to be a little more subtle than them...

My plan is to keep the standard styling as much as possible and unfortunately the skyline is a very boxy sort of car... I really don't think a rounded widebody style kit would look good on what is essentially a sqaure car.

What I may do is make the doors just as wide as the rest of the guards, that way the whole car will be wider and it won't really look much different.

just use flares even chuncky round ones would look better then lego style lol

Well my new wheels have arrived.... well my new wheel, anyway. 3 of the wheels have been misplaced, so when i whent to the depo to pick them up today i could only get one.

The wheel i have now is the 19x9.5" + 25

I have to say that these are the best looking wheels I have ever seen. I'm in love with these. They are similar to the drift tek's and to the D1R wheels that were really popular in the fact that they are a 5 spoke dished wheel... I think these are soo much nicer though.

I have the option of the polished stainless steel lip with or without the rainbow effect, the stainless steel lip will mean that its much harder to damage than if it were just a polished alloy lip. The lip is also seperate to the wheel, so that it can be removed if need be.. i.e you need to replace a damaged lip.

The dish of the 9.5" wheel is 11cm. The only let-down is what they weigh. I'm not sure what normal race or light weight wheels weight, but these 19" wheel weigh a little over 10kg's each... Not sure how they rates against other wheels, but they do seem a little on the heavy side. Fine for show wheels, but for race wheels they could be lighter..

Have a look and tell me what you think..

post-2246-1243323170_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1243323174_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1243323180_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1243323185_thumb.jpg

i reckon all titanium lipped rims look shit (not just yours Tai :) ), ruins a good rim

lol, yeah i thought the rainbow lip would look shit, but it actually doesn't look too bad. Does suit the wheel.

Unfortunately when i ordered the wheels, the only ones that had available had the rainbow lip, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it either.

I reckon the wheels are awesome, the rainbow lip can be removed ( i'm just not sure what it looks like underneath.)

i'll be interested to see how they look once on the car - i'm not convinced skinny spokes in a star pattern look good on a larger diameter rim so hanging out to see if these look the goods or not

yeah, i suppose i'm sort of the opposite. I like being able to see through the wheel and don't like big solid wheels. These wheels are exactly what i've been looking for, 5 spoke, dish and wide...

I'm not sure how they'll look on the R31, I don't think it will be the best car to complement the wheels. We'll see how it looks...

At least you'll be happy to know what i'm doing with the car. Once its finished the first thing it will be doing is going to a track.. Although I want to see how it handles round a track, not necessarily how it goes sideways..lol

tell me when your going, cause im up for anougher couple laps around wakefield

what colour is it going to be?

what colour is it going to be?

yeah, i suppose i'm sort of the opposite. I like being able to see through the wheel and don't like big solid wheels. These wheels are exactly what i've been looking for, 5 spoke, dish and wide...

I'm not sure how they'll look on the R31, I don't think it will be the best car to complement the wheels. We'll see how it looks...

At least you'll be happy to know what i'm doing with the car. Once its finished the first thing it will be doing is going to a track.. Although I want to see how it handles round a track, not necessarily how it goes sideways..lol

grip or drift, tough street car or a sleeper - i don't really mind what it is used for, as long as it's not making a good sports car handle worse than a VH commo in the wet and putting 20" trashtastic rims and gay-pride walls on it.

hahah, yeah Sol I might put white walls on too...hahahaha

Should handle really well, i'm really keen to test it all out once its finished.

Not sure what colour it will be, I haven't really looked into it yet.

And sol, i did a quick pic up for ya...hahahahaha

post-2246-1243336855_thumb.jpg

Edited by tai_180sx

i'm after the series 2 tail lights actually.

Edited by tai_180sx

The rest of the wheels showed up today, including the rear 19x10.5 + 25 wheels. These suckers have 14cm's of dish....

Attached are the pics.

post-2246-1243387228_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1243387231_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1243387234_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1243387241_thumb.jpg

They aren't a brand name wheel. I bought them directly from the factory in Taiwan and imported them privately. The same as what is written on the centercaps is also written on the boxes, (Ti)

They still cost me around $1500 without tyres..

I picked up tyres for them today. 2nd hand tyres for $600. 295/30/19's Pirelli's on the back and 255/35/19's Michellines on the front, probably round 30% tread left.

post-2246-1243395186_thumb.jpg

post-2246-1243395191_thumb.jpg

now thats a foot print nice man!!!!!

I really wanted 305's, but they only had 295's in stock... The front wheels need to be 275's or at least 265's. The 255's are stretched a little and the rim protector on the tyre doesn't exactly protect the rim...lol

I wanted to get these suckers fitted this weekend, but i'm still missing the rear 5 stud conversion.... I'm gonna go with some R32 GTR front and rear brakes, or maybe R34 GTT whatever is easier to come by, so i'll wait until they arrive before doing the full 5 stud conversion, upgraded brakes, fitting the wheels and of course the widebody.. I want to get it all done in 1 weekend.... that should be fun.

On a good note, the Mini spool turned up today (attached pic), that will essentially lock my diff. I'll pick up the RB25det gearbox later this week, the clutch kit will turn up next week and then all i'll need is a tailshaft to be made up. Probably go with a 4" 1 piece tail shaft. I will also be modifying my dash to use a 5" tacho and 5" speedo (autometer ones) and then i will have a fuel level guage, 30psi boost guage, water temp and oil pressure guages mounted into the dash...

This is my plan..

This weekend, install the minispool

Next weekend, 5 stud conversion, wheels, brakes and widebody

The weekend after, RB25 gearbox, clutch kit, speedo/tacho, guages

Then maybe the wekend after that i'll either do some tidy up work to the car, make sure everythings running, fix any issues i've had..

The weekend after that i'll fit the engine and get it tuned...

Then paint will be after all that... I'm thinking about keeping the two tone and going silver underneath and a darker blue on top... Will have to really think about what i want to do though..

Thats the plan anyway, things always change, money runs out, shit happens..... But i want to have this thing up and running within 6 to 8 weeks.

post-2246-1243403516_thumb.jpg

Then paint will be after all that... I'm thinking about keeping the two tone and going silver underneath and a darker blue on top...

like mine.....

nice nice id go black at the bottom with then the bark brue up top. even though i cant think of what colour my sil is going to be. but cant think about that until the motor is in and running and i have everything i want done to it.

I dont' think i want 2 colours that will blend... i.e Black and dark blue... I may even go completely one colour, I'm really not sure.. I'll start looking at colours one day.. I want something thats not too bright, something that blends in but still looks nice and clean.

o also a mini spool with 295 or 305 tyres !!!!!!!!! i think a machanial 1.5way would be a much smarter option

Its not an LSD diff.... One day down the track I wouldn't mind looking into a Ford 9" diff being fitted or something just as big/strong... Until then I will just have to see how many axles I go through...

hmm, on second thoughts I might just go one full colour... The 2 tone might not look as good as i first thought.

And thats one huge hedge in the background...lol

Edited by tai_180sx

what did you poste up that peice of shit for? lol

nice choice in tyres! a good side wall always looks better then these 20 profile stretched things that everyone loves *shudders* you need to join the 300 club though ;)

nice choice in tyres! a good side wall always looks better then these 20 profile stretched things that everyone loves *shudders* you need to join the 300 club though ;)

I actually wanted 305's, they just didn't have any in stock. Once these are worn out 305's will be going on.