Sign in to follow this  
SIR ASHMAN

The current state of affairs in Korea

North Koreans are crazy, lets not forget that.

They have ~23,000,000 people... with a 900,000 strong Armed forces...

Australia has a population of ~21,000,000 and a standing armed forces of less than 100,000....

Id put my money on our own military forces. Numbers mean nothing.

Its hard to compare a country that has actually been in war within its own borders and has been in a state of armed readiness for over 50 years to Australia.

.. Also, they have ICBM's and we dont

nothing will happen, the world is too scared off nukes.

OT but kinda off, have you seen those guns that protect the SK border? Samsung made em ha ha, autonomous sentrys, can pinpoint a human from 500m in the dark.

if korea did go to war, they have potential allies in Russia (despite thier condemnation), and china. south korea has an ally in the USA. war breaks out, it will most likely be South Korea, USA, Japan vs North Korea & (maybe) china.

the unit ratio would still be uncomfortable

I'm going to the NK/SK border tomorrow and chucking firecrackers over the fence......f**kin yeah boi. NS.com makes a REAL difference.

I'm going to the NK/SK border tomorrow and chucking firecrackers over the fence......f**kin yeah boi. NS.com makes a REAL difference.

having actually been there.

its not that special.

lots of ppl with guns and one really boring looking village on the north side.

there was a lovely little bridge there thou.

North Korea doesn't have the resources to stage an attack, it would be short lived at that with the US instantly jumping in and blowing the absolute shit out of them. They're technologically retarded by about 50 years, they've only just now been able to start nuclear testing, the USA did that in the 40's which was over 60 years ago. And let's not forget the superior missiles, tanks, better trained and equiped soldiers, stealth planes, etc the USA have at their disposal. China won't interfere because the USA is one of it's largest trading partners, it's economic suicide to piss them off.

The threats are increasing...

But most South Koreans citizens (from who I have spoke too) seem to not think much of the North flexing is muscles, its nothing new to them and happens all the time.

As unlikely as it is to happen, if a war did break out in Korea, it would become an International war. Not good for anyone.

I doubt China or Russia would side with North Korea, in reality, what does each nation have to gain from being North Koreas allies, compared to what they have to lose?

And I agree, until Kim Jong Il dies, there is no real chance for progress...

I am Korean blooded btw, if there are any other Koreans on NS I'd really like to hear your point of view.

Lots of countries have nuclear arms. I think it's wrong in general that a country have the power to blow up cities but aren't we seeing a whole lot of hypocrisy? f**k America for sticking their nose in and telling other countries what to do, especially given that they used this as an excuse when they pwned Iraq. I hope North Korea nukes the State of Texas.

North Korea is crazy :lol:

Wouldn't suprise me if they nuke the US.

lols, they can barely create a "real" nuke yet anyways. current tests could be considered failures with todays standards. NK nuke tests were around .5 to 1kt, not very impressive but still fking dangerous. The first nuke dropped on japan by comparison was 13kt.

The biggest fusion weapon ever detonated was 57mt (megatons) or 57,000kt.

On the bright side, NK cant launch there weapons any decent distances, however still far enough to target SK and possibly Japan.

Personally i think NK is pushing it's luck, it would never win a war, i fail to see the point in all the aggression. However, if they go down that path, the amount of deaths would be huge, even if SK and the west win.

Russia may side with them, china knows it can't (hell they have a better system to win the world over anyway and thats via money and trade C&C generals was right on that note) but i think the main telling point was in the paper up here yestureday, 2 pics one of the NK side of the border with a soldier on a seat an ak and a pair of glasses (binocs) and then the south side up in massive fort like thing with masses of people and those sort of telescopes you get at viewing platforms

The world has been waiting for Kim Jong-Il to die (since his stroke last year)

ahhh but is he even alive?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/08/2358528.htm

On one of my trips to Japan I met this girl who told me that in her small sea side hometown people don't go out at night,

and never unlock their doors after dark and used to get suspicious knocking on them late at night.

It seemd a little far fetched to me I guess till this happened in 2003...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/sep/18/japan.northkorea

lols, they can barely create a "real" nuke yet anyways. current tests could be considered failures with todays standards. NK nuke tests were around .5 to 1kt, not very impressive but still fking dangerous. The first nuke dropped on japan by comparison was 13kt.

You're comparing fission bombs with fusion bombs there... not really a fair comparision.

and IMO nuclear bombs are old now, there are many better alternatives.

See this i dont get. The US is allowed to be doing this shit every f*ken day of the week and perform nuclear tests that none of us even hear about yet when some one else does it they get comdenmed?? Good on North Korea, let them give those Americans abit of sh*t in their diapers..

We're all f**ked if his brother-in-law takes over.

Don't for a minute think that if Kim dies North Korea will become a better place.

You're comparing fission bombs with fusion bombs there... not really a fair comparision.

if you notice, i implied the first bomb dropped on japan is a normal fission bomb. I just referenced the largest denotation for extra comparison.

See this i dont get. The US is allowed to be doing this shit every f*ken day of the week and perform nuclear tests that none of us even hear about yet when some one else does it they get comdenmed?? Good on North Korea, let them give those Americans abit of sh*t in their diapers..

pfft

The United States has not conducted any tests since 1992, though they have conducted a number of sub-critical tests (which do not involve a chain reaction).

The last Soviet test took place on October 24, 1990. After the dissolution of the USSR in 1992, Russia inherited their former nuclear stockpile, but has not conducted any nuclear tests.

not only that, but the US has greatly reduced their nuclear stockpile since the cold war. also russia, that has the world's largest stockpile, hasn't done any recent testing.

I don't know about you, but I would rather the US and it's allies to have the nukes then NK and it's allies.

:rolleyes: Source please

North Korea doesn't have the resources to stage an attack, it would be short lived at that with the US instantly jumping in and blowing the absolute shit out of them. They're technologically retarded by about 50 years, they've only just now been able to start nuclear testing, the USA did that in the 40's which was over 60 years ago. And let's not forget the superior missiles, tanks, better trained and equiped soldiers, stealth planes, etc the USA have at their disposal. China won't interfere because the USA is one of it's largest trading partners, it's economic suicide to piss them off.

You do realise that if they built their own nukes they obviously have to test them out. So if Australia doesn't have any nukes we are technologically retarded are we? Australia doesn't even have nuclear powerplants we still use coal, we are more technologically retarded than they are.

North Korea also have an arsenal of chemical weapons

:rolleyes: Source please

The tests are that secret :ph34r:

You don't read the news much do you?

Third world dictatorships which consistently fail to feed their population have no place as a nuclear power.

if you notice, i implied the first bomb dropped on japan is a normal fission bomb. I just referenced the largest denotation for extra comparison.

Its not really hard for them to make their explosions bigger. The main thing stopping them from nuking the f**k out of someone is because they know they'll get exactly the same treatment, except worse, back.

Also I doubt they've got the technology to convert their nuclear explosions into the payload of a missile, or at least not yet. Its one thing to be able blow some shit up underground with god knows how many tonnes of equipment, but its quite another to be able to put it on a missile in a way that can withstand the huge acceleration and speeds that an ICBM would cause.

Not to mention that all of their tests of such missiles have failed to launch properly.

It is quite unlikely that this situation will escalate.

Given that the US is struggling in both Iraq/Afghanistan, another front is not feasbile given the current poor economic state

the Americans currently find themselves in.

I say good on North Korea who are the USA to dictate the terms of nuclear proliferation. They condemn North Korea and Iran while simultaneously ignoring Israel. Good to see neither state fears the embattled USA, a former superpower at best.

^^ USA don't dictate the terms of nuclear proliferation. You might be thinking of the UN.

^^ USA don't dictate the terms of nuclear proliferation. You might be thinking of the UN.

No, the UN is a joke, international law is based on mere conjecture and is largely unenforceable. The UN also opposes Israeli expansions (the US does not.)

Notice how Israel are free to act?

The US acts to protect its interests, clearly, a Nuclear Iran/NK presents a threat.

A nuclear Israel on the other hand is seen as a positive.

Blatant double standards. So again, it is good to see Iran and North Korea off-setting the current balance of power in a new direction.

The north doesn't have much to worry about

never in the history of the world has a country been invaded that has WMDs (Weapons of Mass Distruction) as it is just plain suicide.

Hence Iraq was invated (they knew all along they didn't have the bomb). But look as it appears the North have the bomb. So the US and UN aint gonna do shit.

It would be a great thing if they could but who is going to stick their neck out? and actually do something about.

You do realise that if they built their own nukes they obviously have to test them out. So if Australia doesn't have any nukes we are technologically retarded are we? Australia doesn't even have nuclear powerplants we still use coal, we are more technologically retarded than they are.

North Korea also have an arsenal of chemical weapons

Look into SILEX, which is basically an Australian company using Australian talent to enrich uranium for the US. So we have the know how.

We also have the OPAL reactor, so, on short notice we could start enriching uranium if we so chose too. So we have the capability.

Australia has a STRONG anti-nuclear movement, so strong in fact that when John Howard was thinking about it several states passed laws banning nuclear power. Thats the reason we do not have nuclear power, it was a choice.

North Korea doesn't have the resources to stage an attack, it would be short lived at that with the US instantly jumping in and smashing them like a proverbial box. They're mentally and physically retarded by about 50 years of inbreeding, they've only just now been able to start nuclear testing, the USA did that in the 40's which was over 60 years ago. And let's not forget the superior missiles, tanks, better trained and equiped soldiers, stealth planes, etc the USA have at their disposal. China won't interfere because the USA is one of it's largest trading partners, it's economic suicide to piss them off.

Fixed.

Australia has a LOUD population of anti-nuclear hippies, so loud in fact that when John Howard was thinking about it several states gave in to the un-educated and vocal minority and passed laws banning nuclear power. Thats the reason we do not have nuclear power, it was because of stupid bitching hippies, crying about Chynobil(sp?), and ignoring the thousands of other nuclear reactors around the world, that have never had any problems at all.

Fixed :)

Australia has a LOUD population of anti-nuclear hippies, so loud in fact that when John Howard was thinking about it several states gave in to the un-educated and vocal minority and passed laws banning nuclear power. Thats the reason we do not have nuclear power, it was because of stupid bitching hippies, crying about Chynobil(sp?), and ignoring the thousands of other nuclear reactors around the world, that have never had any problems at all.

Fixed :)

+1

nuclear power here would be good.

wonder if people remember we had the UK do nuclear tests on our main land.

It is quite unlikely that this situation will escalate.

Given that the US is struggling in both Iraq/Afghanistan, another front is not feasbile given the current poor economic state

the Americans currently find themselves in.

I say good on North Korea who are the USA to dictate the terms of nuclear proliferation. They condemn North Korea and Iran while simultaneously ignoring Israel. Good to see neither state fears the embattled USA, a former superpower at best.

we should all be working together against more nuclear weapons, it's strongly in the worlds best interests.

if we don't care, the technology could just be sold to Africa nations, im sure they wont respect such conservative policies when it comes to the use of nuclear weapons. More nuclear weapons just creates more arms races, which solve nothing.

No, the UN is a joke, international law is based on mere conjecture and is largely unenforceable. The UN also opposes Israeli expansions (the US does not.)

Notice how Israel are free to act?

The US acts to protect its interests, clearly, a Nuclear Iran/NK presents a threat.

A nuclear Israel on the other hand is seen as a positive.

Blatant double standards. So again, it is good to see Iran and North Korea off-setting the current balance of power in a new direction.

So a theocracy guided by a book with passages such as "Fight those who believe not in Allah or the Last Day" and a third world nation ruled by a family with an inferiority complex are trying to get their hands on nuclear weapons.

No problem there at all.

Read up on Lovelock, a respected Brit who says nuclear is the only cure for our current climate issues... geothermal would also work VERY well in aus.