Sign in to follow this  
SIR ASHMAN

The current state of affairs in Korea

the UN is a joke

Soldier: Sir, Hans Blix is here from the United Nations.

Kim: Hans Brix? Aww no! Oh, herro. Great to see you again, Hans.

Hans Blix: Mr. Il, I was supposed to be allowed to inspect your palace today, and your guards won't let me in to certain areas.

Kim: Hans Hans Hans, we've been trew this a dozen time! I don't have any weapons of mass destruction, okay Hans?

Blix: I'm sorry, but the UN must be firm with you! Let me see your whole palace, or else!

Kim: Or erse, what?

Blix: Or else we will be very, very angry with you, and we will write you a letter telling you how angry we are.

geothermal would also work VERY well in aus.

IIRC, we're one of the leaders in this technology, right here in SA?

Chernobyl is a completely useless example when arguing against nuclear power. New power reactors are designed with "passive safety" - such that they slow the nuclear reaction when things go wrong, not accelerate it. The plant at Chernobyl was badly designed, horribly understaffed and the staff they did have was underqualified. It was an disaster waiting to happen, and was simply a matter of time.

^^^How do you know that?

Because I am Obama's son

Australia has a LOUD population of anti-nuclear hippies, so loud in fact that when John Howard was thinking about it several states gave in to the un-educated and vocal minority and passed laws banning nuclear power. Thats the reason we do not have nuclear power, it was because of stupid bitching hippies, crying about Chynobil(sp?), and ignoring the thousands of other nuclear reactors around the world, that have never had any problems at all.

Fixed :)

Good fixing, very true. Its funny cause we have like the best country in the world to dump nuclear waste in the middle of nowhere and yet people still have a cry

geothermal would also work VERY well in aus.

IIRC, we're one of the leaders in this technology, right here in SA?

New power reactors are designed with "passive safety" - such that they slow the nuclear reaction when things go wrong, not accelerate it.

yup and amen

^^ USA don't dictate the terms of nuclear proliferation. You might be thinking of the UN.

No, the UN is a joke, international law is based on mere conjecture and is largely unenforceable. The UN also opposes Israeli expansions (the US does not.)

Notice how Israel are free to act?

The US acts to protect its interests, clearly, a Nuclear Iran/NK presents a threat.

A nuclear Israel on the other hand is seen as a positive.

Blatant double standards. So again, it is good to see Iran and North Korea off-setting the current balance of power in a new direction.

So a theocracy guided by a book with passages such as "Fight those who believe not in Allah or the Last Day" and a third world nation ruled by a family with an inferiority complex are trying to get their hands on nuclear weapons.

No problem there at all.

lol, ignorance is bliss.

Quoting religious scriptures out of context merely elucidates your lack of knowledge regarding the Iranian regime. Further, your logic is flawed, Pakistan is also an Islamic country (and already in possession of nuclear weapons.) We aren't dead are we?

You fear, because you are taught to fear, you do not know why. A little research will reveal to you that Iran at least, is no real threat (despite what the pro-Israeli media will have you believe.)

^^^How do you know that?

Because I am Obama's son

Nice contribution to the internets, no wonder why people can't believe everything you hear.

Im sure America has the resources and the know how to do so but currently they have nill amounts of mass destructive nuclear bombs.

Im sure America has the resources and the know how to do so but currently they have nill amounts of mass destructive nuclear bombs.

Come again?

^^ USA don't dictate the terms of nuclear proliferation. You might be thinking of the UN.

No, the UN is a joke, international law is based on mere conjecture and is largely unenforceable. The UN also opposes Israeli expansions (the US does not.)

The US acts to protect its interests, clearly, a Nuclear Iran/NK presents a threat.

Blatant double standards. So again, it is good to see Iran and North Korea off-setting the current balance of power in a new direction.

So a theocracy guided by a book with passages such as "Fight those who believe not in Allah or the Last Day" and a third world nation ruled by a family with an inferiority complex are trying to get their hands on nuclear weapons.

No problem there at all.

lol, ignorance is bliss.

Quoting religious scriptures out of context merely elucidates your lack of knowledge regarding the Iranian regime. Further, your logic is flawed, Pakistan is also an Islamic country (and already in possession of nuclear weapons.) We aren't dead are we?

You fear, because you are taught to fear, you do not know why. A little research will reveal to you that Iran at least, is no real threat (despite what the pro-Israeli media will have you believe.)

Great, how did religion get involved in this?? lol

What makes you all think that just because Korea is showing their muscle that they deribletly want to go to war with other countries? History has shown that if it's not some sort of money or power gain they wont. It would be very foolish if Korea wanted to confront the world and wouldn't make sense anyway.

Come again?

I was not referring to war heads.

Stop the shitfights already...

There are reports that the North is moving another long-range missile to the pad (similar to the one they shot over Japan in April).

but war, war never changes.

Personally i don't care if north korea have nukes i'd have one if they were cheap enough.

Personally i don't care if north korea have nukes i'd have one if they were cheap enough.

I care.

Once a country starts arming itself with bigger weapons, then other countries will do the same as a 'defence'. This will go back and forth for years, with defense budgets growing expedentially until someone pulls the trigger.

Yeah i don't think they will. Who doesn't anyone here have a big sook about all the other countries having nukes?

Yeah i don't think they will. Who doesn't anyone here have a big sook about all the other countries having nukes?

cause the USA are allies, and Russia can't afford to fire a nuclear missile :lol:

You clearly can't grasp the concept of a rogue state.

A rogue state, which is very keen on the idea of exerting authority in the region.

Thats very subjective though isn't it? Who's to say who's rogue and who isn't? maybe we are in the wrong. Heck our allies invade and rape countries. I don't see them getting in trouble for that.

There is an easy disctinction to be made here, terrorists and us.

When the western nations invade a country, it is to fight terrorism, when an asian country invades somebody, it is hostile.

Don't any of you watch CNN? :huh:

and IMO nuclear bombs are old now, there are many better alternatives.

Better, you say?

Third world dictatorships which consistently fail to feed their population have no place as a nuclear power.

The US isn't far behind....

Owning nuclear weapons is the biggest pissing contest..

Well thats probably the mentality North Korea is thinking about the USA.

But its always OK for USA to have these things for 'defence'. If someone like G.W. Bush, with his decision making abilities can become president of the USA, I think the USA should be stripped of such things... haha, but who would and could tell the USA to disarm themselves because they are almost as trigger happy as the 'terrorists'.

I care.

Once a country starts arming itself with bigger weapons, then other countries will do the same as a 'defence'. This will go back and forth for years, with defense budgets growing expedentially until someone pulls the trigger.

I care.

The worry isn't that someone will pull the trigger.

The worry is the massive amounts of money that is being spent on these black holes.

When it could be spent on improving the country...

Its about time someone knocked some sense into North Korea. They're like that stupid little whiny bitch kid in primary school. Nobody likes him, but you have to be nice to him or he'll go psycho and bite and scratch you, giving you rabies.

:lol: :lol:

perfect analogy

Ignore my posts, some moron was using my account.

ur too modest.

lol, "im gonna hack into LAZY's account and discuss political issues"

The DPRK are just doing their bit in the war against US Imperialist Aggressors and their South Korean puppet army.

You shouldn't believe everything you see in the media. DPRK are just exercising their rights as a sovereign nation

http://www.kcna.co.jp/index-e.htm

Yes I'm being sarcastic

I bloody hope N Korea dont launch a nuke at Japan until at least after the weekend as that's when I leave!

No problem there at all.

lol, ignorance is bliss.

Caustic pointed out in his initial post that Iran was a theocracy, Pakistan is not. And Pakistan developed Nuclear Weapons because India had them.

If Iran gets nuclear weapons it will start an arms race in the region. A region that, historically is the most unstable place on the planet. With several governments rising and falling every century. So you have a mix of nuclear weapons, regional instability and a grudge against the west. Not a good thing.

By JAE-SOON CHANG

The Associated Press

Tuesday, June 2, 2009 9:19 AM

SEOUL, South Korea -- North Korea's Kim Jong Il has anointed his 26-year-old son _ said to be competitive, proficient in English and a heavy drinker _ as the next leader of the communist state, news reports said Tuesday.

Two major South Korean newspapers said Tuesday that North Korea's military, party and government officials were informed that Kim Jong Un, the youngest of three, is in line to take the world's first communist dynasty into a third generation.

The announcement was made in the days after North Korea's provocative May 25 nuclear test, the Hankook Ilbo newspaper reported, citing unnamed South Korean lawmakers briefed by the spy agency.

The son already is being hailed as "Commander Kim," and North Koreans are learning the lyrics to a new song praising him as the next leader, the Dong-a Ilbo newspaper said. South Korean lawmaker Park Jie-won told a radio show Tuesday that the regime already is "pledging its allegiance to Kim Jong Un." He said he was briefed by South Korea's spy agency.

The National Intelligence Service would not confirm the reports.

The apparent anointment comes at a time of mounting tensions over North Korea's April 5 rocket launch and last week's nuclear test. The North also appears to be preparing to test-fire an array of medium- and long-range missiles, reports said. Global powers are discussing how to rein in Pyongyang for its nuclear defiance.

Analysts say the saber-rattling is part of a campaign to build unity and support for a successor to Kim Jong Il, who reportedly suffered a stroke last August. Kim has three sons but had not publicly named an heir to lead the nation of 24 million.

Kim, once pudgy and renowned for his love of cognac and gourmet meals, made his first state appearance since the reported stroke at the opening session of the new parliament April 12. He was grayer, considerably thinner and limping slightly.

He is believed to want to name a successor by 2012 _ the centenary of the birth of his father, North Korea's founder Kim Il Sung _ and the regime undertook a massive campaign last year to gear the country up for the 100th anniversary celebrations.

The regime called the April 5 launch of a satellite into space part of the campaign to show off the country's scientific advancements. The U.S., Japan and others called it a cover for a test of long-range missile technology.

Last month, the regime stepped up the pace and launched a "150-day battle" urging North Koreans to work harder to build the country's economy.

"Before 2012, North Korea must convince the army and the public that Jong Un is the best successor," said Atsuhito Isozaki, assistant professor of North Korean politics at Tokyo's private Keio University. "To pave the way for Jong Un's leadership, it is highly likely that North Korea will turn recent nuclear and missile tests into his achievements."

Analyst Cheong Seong-chang of the Sejong Institute, a South Korean security think tank, noted that the "politically driven" 150-day campaign is set to culminate in early October, about the time of the anniversary of the founding of the ruling Workers' Party. He said North Korea could hold a national convention then _ its first in nearly 30 years _ to formally announce Kim's successor.

Cheong said that in the 1970s, Kim Il Sung, known as the "Great Leader," arranged for his son to take credit for a "70-day battle" before he was tapped as his father's successor. Kim Jong Il _ the "Dear Leader" _ formally assumed leadership upon his father's death in 1994.

"Since Kim had a stroke last year, North Korea appears to be in a hurry in naming his successor," Isozaki said.

Many believe Jong Un might lead with the backing and guidance of his uncle, Jang Song Thaek, a member of the all-powerful National Defense Commission who has strong military and political connections.

Little is known about Jong Un, the second son of former dancer Ko Yong Hi, who died of cancer in 2004.

He studied at the International School in Bern, Switzerland, in the 1990s. The Swiss weekly news magazine L'Hebdo reported that he used the pseudonym Pak Chol and learned to speak English, German and French.

A classmate recalled him as timid and introverted but an avid skier and basketball player who was a big fan of the NBA star Michael Jordan and action film star Jean-Claude Van Damme. He was humble and friendly with the children of American diplomats and often helped break up fights between classmates, a former school director said.

A car arrived every day after school to pick him up, the report said; classmates and school officials thought he was the driver's son.

The eldest son, Jong Nam, 38, was considered the favorite to succeed his father until he was caught trying to enter Japan on a fake passport in 2001. He reportedly told Japanese officials he wanted to visit Tokyo's Disney resort.

Kim considers the middle son, Jong Chol, too effeminate for the job, according to his former sushi chef.

Source

The story of a guy who escaped from North Korea in 1998. If you've read 1984 you'll spot the similarities.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/...-dead-land.html

Executions were a frequent occurrence in our small city, but the inhabitants never tired of them. Primary and secondary school pupils skipped classes to join the audience, which always consisted of hundreds, even thousands, of people. Posters went up in the city several days before. When the time came, the condemned man was displayed in the streets before being led to the place of execution, where he was made to sit on the ground, head bowed, so everyone could get a good look at him. He was dressed in a garment designed by army scientists for public executions, a greyish one-piece suit made of very thick, fleece-lined cotton. That way, when the bullets are fired, the blood doesn't spurt out but is absorbed by this fabric, which turns red. The body is thrown on a cart and then abandoned in the mountains for the dogs to eat.

We were fortunate as we also had a TV. As we were close to the Chinese border, we were able to pick up the Beijing channels. That was forbidden, so we did it at night, with the curtains drawn. Chinese television gave us an incredible view of the world. There were cars everywhere, rich people who ate all the time, lovely homes piled with household appliances. That said, we were suspicious of these pictures, because North Korean television also produced pseudo-documentaries that showed us as prosperous and happy, which we certainly weren't.

and IMO nuclear bombs are old now, there are many better alternatives.

Better, you say?

Yes. Other highly explosive weapons that don't leave nasty radiation everywhere.

Russia used a Thermobaric bomb weighing ~6000 kilograms to level a city block - this is known as the Father of All Bombs. Apparently this had more force than a small nuclear bomb.

_44111852_russian_bomb_inf416.gif

America is currently developing a monster Thermobaric bomb as well - except this one is twice the size of the Father of All Bombs.

Known as a type of BunkerBuster, but good enough to level a small city, regardless.

Not another arms race.

With the spirit of free market capitalism, it's never ended.