Sign in to follow this  
Bub's S13

SAFETY IN DRIFTING !

Been thinking recently...

WHEN IS SAFETY IN DRIFTING GOING TO BE INFORCED..... ???

When are cages going to be MANDATORY ???

Full race suit, boots, gloves etc etc ???

considering the way drift is heading, how long before all of the above is mandatory to drift....

Id be interested to no:

How many people are running CAMS approved roll cages AND wear full suits etc !!!

If you dont why not?? is it cause of the cost etc

if it was inforced, would you have to pull out due to the cost etc

Hope that all makes sense...

You might be over reacting a little bit. There is already a degree of safety Enforced in drifting (helmets, no limbs out of windows, clothing head to toe, etc).

Take a look at some other motorsport and what is required. If there was a drifting class or level system, maybe different safety requirements could be set?

It's your life and you should take responsibility for your own safety.

Been thinking recently...

WHEN IS SAFETY IN DRIFTING GOING TO BE INFORCED..... ???

When are cages going to be MANDATORY ???

Full race suit, boots, gloves etc etc ???

considering the way drift is heading, how long before all of the above is mandatory to drift....

Id be interested to no:

How many people are running CAMS approved roll cages AND wear full suits etc !!!

If you dont why not?? is it cause of the cost etc

if it was inforced, would you have to pull out due to the cost etc

Hope that all makes sense...

Thursday in two years :rolleyes:

It like any form of motorsport there usually is a "point" at which they will enforce it.

They do enforce the laws at comps (CAMS do).

Same with any Motorsport, Drag Racing for example - once you hit the 10's, they wont let you run without a cage.

Not sure if it's need - what do we need gloves for anyway???

IMO CAMS cages and race suits is all a bit of a wank – Perhaps on a DA scale as TV viewers don't like watching people die and it makes it look official, but everywhere else it should be optional..

Reason why, Aussie tracks are pretty safe due to 1,000 tossers suing previously... If we need to change anything it is our culture, so we all understand that drifting is dangerous and if you do it, you might die, and the track owners have nothing to do with that. If we all understood this, we wouldn’t sue after crashing into a wall, resulting in lower insurance premiums for the track owner, cheaper track days for us and probably new tracks opening up as well.

Using Meihan in Japan for example - you can't get much more dangerous than this yet helmets aren't enforced - if you crash an die it’s your own fault. The drivers understand this and some use helmets, have cages, while others don’t.. Keeping it optional and relaxed means more fun for everyone 

post45431243248196.jpg

that and in cams eyes its a non speed event so its not needed. also you look like a dick wearing a race suit.

u do it at your own risk? they shouldnt enfource to heavy unless its something like Da ...........but they seem all good from the footage on tv ,youtube etc

that and in cams eyes its a non speed event so its not needed. also you look like a dick wearing a race suit.

its classed as a non speed event due to that results arent achieved by having a faster time than someone else and that it is a "judged" event...

word from local cams delegates is that it will change at some point...unsure when and to what extent...but alot of ppl within cams itself are surprised we've been classed as "non speed" for this long lol

they will enforce it when (God forbid) there is a big enough accident, it is always the way...

considering the way drift is heading
Just wondering where drift is heading? I think it has peaked and is in decline as a "sport" so if anything the regulations are likely to become more relaxed.

Just wondering where drift is heading? I think it has peaked and is in decline as a "sport" so if anything the regulations are likely to become more relaxed.

+1 i unfortunatly would have to agree... i would say since toyo pulled out this year the hype of the sport has def died down... hopefully next year there is nation wide series again to put the hype back into the sport...

p.s i only have a race suit atm, cant quite afford the cage as yet... :)

The most important point is to retain circuits that allow drifting as a hobby, the safety issue is probably secondary to keeping track owners happy, things like not chopping up grass, no burnouts in pitlane and other retarded things like that.

True true, but since you were last in Oz L, there is a new HD TV station that is 24 hours of sports and they are televising the Formula D rounds (plus constant re-runs). From this, I think the hype has had a kick start.

The yanks are good at putting on a show as I am now often asked about drifting at work from what they have seen on TV, and this is in a boring accounting firm, so perhaps the wank will get a tad bigger yet????

True true, but since you were last in Oz L, there is a new HD TV station that is 24 hours of sports and they are televising the Formula D rounds (plus constant re-runs). From this, I think the hype has had a kick start.

The yanks are good at putting on a show as I am now often asked about drifting at work from what they have seen on TV, and this is in a boring accounting firm, so perhaps the wank will get a tad bigger yet????

Sounds like there is some life in the old girl yet then. Hopefully the new promotors can avoid the trap making it soulless pro-racing

Do you see the baby chilling on the wall, regulations......where?

ebisupart2_2.jpg

Got it all on film head over to my blog to check it out.

when all that stuff is enforced it will just go back to the streets

yeh but then we will get defected haha

helmet is quite sufficient for drift because you wash of a bit of speed before the corner due to hand braking

suit is a lil bit over the top and gloves and shoes should and always should be personal choice

I reckon a cage or half cage, helmet and pull length natural fibres and thats it. Whats the point of a full race suit. Your not really gonna be stuck in the car that long if there is a fire. Its not like we are going 300km/hr where you could be knock unconcious from hitting a wall. But a cage is a good idea, should be mandatory as the likelihood you getting f**ked up if the car rolls is quite high.

if drifting changes and makes it compalsury to have a race suit and cage i wont be drifting legaly anymore

1. because i hav a road car and wont be putting a cage in

2. i cant afford to get a race suit and a cams approved cage

3. because drifting is a hobby to me an if its costing me everything then i will just stop

if drifting changes and makes it compalsury to have a race suit and cage i wont be drifting legaly anymore

3. because drifting is a hobby to me an if its costing me everything then i will just stop

1.get a half cage?

2.race suit is only bout 200 (hlaf cage is 900 cams approved)

3.drifting is a hobby for 99% of people

Whats the point of a full race suit. Your not really gonna be stuck in the car that long if there is a fire.

Car rolls.

Car catches fire isntantly.

Your stuck for 10-15 seconds undoing seatbelts and trying to get out.

In the meantime, your left leg is on fire because fuel has dripped onto your jeans.

That's 10-15 seconds of skin and tissue that you could have spared if you had bothered to purchase a $100, single layer race suit.

1.get a half cage?

2.race suit is only bout 200 (hlaf cage is 900 cams approved)

3.drifting is a hobby for 99% of people

dude its a road car the interiour is mint im not pulling it apart to put a cage in and most of my mates feel the same

and im not getting a race suit im not into it that much i would just stop if its gonna cost shit loads and i feel full clothes are fine

and as in hobby i mean i hardly spend anything i just do it for fun an when it starts costing heaps and heaps thats when i will stop

pretty much drifting is a budget sport and when you start doing safty on a budget its not cool

Let's face it, it's Australia... Nothing will change until someone is either killed or seriously injured.

Guys,

The safety level is about the same as it is for a Supersprint. The two events have vehicles going at about the same speeds, and race licences are not required.

Straight line speeds are as high as in supersprints as they are in drift, but obviously you can't drift a corner as fast as you can drive around. There are cars travelling in close proximity, but under drift big car-to-car impacts are less likely, and the historical data bears this out. I have been Clerk of COurse at about 100 drift events, and my own experience also bears this out.

No, CAMS (I was a commissioner until last yr) is not waiting for an accident to happen or anything like that. If you want to race, where there are number of cars and the chance of car-to-car contact is a lot higher obviously, then cages, suits, etc are of course mandatory.

Safety is always the highest priority, If you want to compete in a road car you can do sprints, motorkhana, drift, or off street drags. If these "safer" events required full race set-up then no one could afford to compete.

The reason the system works is that there are a variety of events for a variety of competitors. Mind you, you can have a ball racing an $8000 HQ race car that has a full cage an all the bits, you just won't go as fast.

I'm all for keeping it optional and relaxed but in Australia for the last 7 years I have ripped up thousands of insurers dollars, and of our own company's dollars on settling lawsuits with injured people's families. I can assure you the legal landscape in japan is way different.

In response to the above posts, no the rules are not likely to be changed soon, since drift fits into the CAMS system like every other event does, Summo is spot on with his explanation of why a race suit is a good idea, the safety level of tracks in Japan is amazingly low, but the legislative and court system is quite different to Australia, and sorry Laurence, but as a track operator I can categorically say you are dead wrong, and safety is never a higher priority than chopping up the grass. Enforcing no burnouts in pit lane is not retarded when there are officials in pit lane, and it is silly to say so. The drifting as a hobby thing is not quite right either. CAMS rules are the same regardless of the track. Non CAMS competitions may do their own thing, but that's a risk they and their competitors and spectators are prepared to take. It isn't a risk Oran Park and some other tracks are prepared to take.

I hope that clears it up.

i dont have a weld in cams cage but i agree to a certain point we need to up the saftey, if it means alot of ppl walk away form the sport it may be a good thing beacuse it just means they werent that serious and just taking up track time, if it came to it and i needed a weld in cage i would get 1 but i still think my 8 point bolt in will be quite sufficient for drift

i really think ppl need to look at drift alot more seriously

safety is never a higher priority than chopping up the grass
:huh:

Well there you go, straight from the horses mouth. As for the rest, maybe try reading my post again champ.

I think jeff summed it up perfectley.

And it comes down to personal choice with safety to, what price do you put on your head?

i think before we start having a go at people for not having cages we should look at the unset up falcons and rollas going out to the practice days

that arnt even drifting. i think having thm on the track is more dangerous than having a 180 with coilovers and a fair bit of suspension work but no cage cause its still road regoed that is actually drifting

probably on a fast track where your actually drifting in excess of 200km/h for longer than 2 seconds.

so not in oz.

^_^

safety is never a higher priority than chopping up the grass

reminds me of the night drifting at calder, where the would set up water filled barriers around the corners as to encourage people not to go off track...