Sign in to follow this  
Softy

Fishing spots in Adelaide

but we got 10x the better fisherman :)

IMO no need to spool mono on first on a light rod, you wont be casting out that far. Just run a leader.

Did you not read my explaination? :P braid can and will spin on your spool, it doesnt stretch so it doesnt get the same grip mono can get when wound on.

Crazy Yak talk.

"i run a 20lb mono shock leader, when using lures. or 30lb flurocarbon/shock when bait fishing."

You run that heavy on your 6'6"-7' "lighter" rod?

i bought a new Shimano Starlo Stix in the 9' range, suited specifically to lure casting in the surf. this is the rod i run my 30lb braid on.

i'm now in the market for a Shimano 7' T-Curve around the 2-6lb weight. one of the highest sought after rods going, will cost about $250, but money well spent i reckon

i have a Starlo stix 9ft too ha ha have had it for bout 6 months beautiful rod casts like a dream i have a Shimano Spheros 8000 on my one with 20lb Fins Braid best surf outfit i have had so far

i am also getting a T-Curve for my next flick stick they are an awesome rod my brother has the Flight series of the T-curve with the titanium nickel eyelets that you can bend down to the blank so they are virtually indestructible. I have a T-curve Tyrnos Heavy 15 - 24kg game rod with a Shimano Tyrnos 30 on it spooled with 850m of 30lb mono haha i have yet to catch something that gives me a run for my money lol

IMO no need to spool mono on first on a light rod, you wont be casting out that far. Just run a leader.

Did you not read my explaination? :P braid can and will spin on your spool, it doesnt stretch so it doesnt get the same grip mono can get when wound on.

Crazy Yak talk.

yea your right you shouldnt bother, you probably not gonna catch anything :P

Crazy Yak talk.

DR JOSH is right a bit of mono on the bottom of the spool helps the the braid settle and prevents the braid from spinning on the spool this and fluro carbon leader are both very important when using braid

also to prevent wind knots and birds nests when casting light weights after every 20 or so casts wind the line on the the reel with a bit of preasure the reason these knots form is because of loose line on the spool ^_^

Crazy Yak talk.

DR JOSH is right a bit of mono on the bottom of the spool helps the the braid settle and prevents the braid from spinning on the spool this and fluro carbon leader are both very important when using braid

also to prevent wind knots and birds nests when casting light weights after every 20 or so casts wind the line on the the reel with a bit of preasure the reason these knots form is because of loose line on the spool ^_^

yeah def do that. its something im strong on.

currently trying to change over from right hand crank to left hand crank.. but finding applying pressure to the line with a left hand crank is a lot harder then right, due to the direction of line when reeling in.

I tried left hand crank for a bit, absolutely hated it. Felt way too unco

i can see the benefits of it.. but its a hard change over.. i should really set them all up to Left hand again.. and force myself to use it.

in the mangroves the other day.. i could see a huge benefit..

Well just to shut you guys up :lol:

Just spooled my new reel, mono first then braid then fluro as a leader... swear to good if this f**ks up ill hunt you guys down :lol:

Well just to shut you guys up :lol:

Just spooled my new reel, mono first then braid then fluro as a leader... swear to good if this f**ks up ill hunt you guys down :lol:

LOL...

Yea, you have to make sure that the knot where joining mono to braid is absolutely spot on... otherwise... EPIC Failure

i use an albright or double uni knot for this application

Yep i went the double uni... come up well for a first time.

Braid will also dig in if not pre-spooled with mono.

Days like today make me want to go fishing. :(

Braid will also dig in if not pre-spooled with mono.

Days like today make me want to go fishing. :(

I believe braid digs into the spool when it's not tension right, regardless of mono being pre-spooled.

If the braid is not wound on tight enough, it will dig in when the drag is run hard (ie. big fish)

Any of you going to port augusta for kingys this year?

I just got back but no fish:( 80 hours on the water over 5 days but live baiting gars and squid didnt seem to be working this year. Salmon would of been the best bait but couldnt find them until the last morning and once we found them we couldnt land the f**kers.

King fish are hard to get up that way, unless you live up that way, its probably not worth going there just to fish for a kingy.

Im gonna try West lakes for a Mulloway tonight at around 6:30 for a couple of hours or so. Have never really tried for them there

f**k WestLakes... didn't even get a strike when i was there 2 weeks ago. :lol:

King fish are hard to get up that way, unless you live up that way, its probably not worth going there just to fish for a kingy.

it's most definently worth going to pt.augusta for a kingy, people come from all over aust to try for them, just like the fabled coffin bay kingy's

theres a little thing called a blood worm run which would be finished by now ;)

it's most definently worth going to pt.augusta for a kingy, people come from all over aust to try for them, just like the fabled coffin bay kingy's

I hear of so many people tying Port Augusta with little results, If i really wanted a kingy i would rather go out to Pt Lincoln around neptune island or wedge island at the bottom of Yorks.

Yeah if you went two weeks ago mate you would have been lucky to catch a shoe.

I havnt even bothered fishing metro for the past 2 weeks, even now things would only just be getting back to normal

Still im not expecting to get anything, just wanna sit back with and have a couple a bevies with mates in comfort.

Might give my new rod/reel a work out this weekend maybe.

I hear of so many people tying Port Augusta with little results, If i really wanted a kingy i would rather go out to Pt Lincoln around neptune island or wedge island at the bottom of Yorks.

Yeah if you went two weeks ago mate you would have been lucky to catch a shoe.

I havnt even bothered fishing metro for the past 2 weeks, even now things would only just be getting back to normal

Yea I think the main draw to pt.augusta is that it is so close to Adelaide, and can be targetted in a small boat, unlike wedge, neptune, greenly which is all big big boat territory. Also just the huge size that they get there regularly yopu rarely see elsewhere.

Although I honestly reckon once you hook into a 45- 50kg fish your previous 5 uneventful visits would be instantly forgotten about and you would be back for more ASAP :lol:

Might give my new rod/reel a work out this weekend maybe.

dont break it sex fingers

well

i can acutally stand up and move a bit now. took the van for a bit of a drive today. was good

thinking i might hit porties jetty tonight or tomorrow morning. better than sitting around here at home doing nothing again. :P

well

i can acutally stand up and move a bit now. took the van for a bit of a drive today. was good

thinking i might hit porties jetty tonight or tomorrow morning. better than sitting around here at home doing nothing again. :P

Get rid of that tree trunk rod yet? :lol:

Tenticles and squid tube is what we use..

Never actually thought about buying squid from the supermarket as bait.

Not saying its a bad option, i have just never tried it/ thought about it

pilchard cat food cans? :lol: 89c a can for bilo brand, I use it for berley at times, you could probably make some type of bait out of it your that much of a tight ass.

yea i know.

i mite buy sum and head to porties tmoz ST's will probs take it

when u goin to porties i am keen 2 go on sunday?

Tomorrow is prob better. was having a look around before. high tide along the locals about 17:50 and not much wind.