Sign in to follow this  
Ecstasy

Clutch Master Cylinder Problems - Assistance Please!

Hey all,

As some of you have noticed, I've been out of the scene for the past ~8 months or so chasing after the ladies instead of the cars. :P

Anyway hoping that you lads, ladette, gents and mistresses can help/assist me with a recent problem - I think my Clutch Master Cylinder has farked it.

Firstly, I don't drive my S13 much.. Probably about once a week ...Noticed last night while I was coming home that my clutch wouldn't disengage properly, the clutch pedal felt rather awkward both upon depress and self-release/return. Depress felt too free and slighty clumsy, while the return was cumbersome requiring me to manually put my foot under the pedal to return it fully sometimes. Closer inspection today reveals an empty Clutch Master Cylinder Reservoir, slight dampness below and around the clutch pedal area and visible leakage from the push rod?.

From what I can gather, I'm either up for a new replacement Clutch Master Cylinder or to rebuild my current one (probably not).

So I guess what I'm after, is supporting comments either for or against my conclusion and some further advice... I presume this means that I'll have to bleed the system? Anyone willing to offer their some of their time please? (I'm still a noob)

If someone could kindy offer their expertise, then I'll not only express my gratitude but will pay in case of something and hugs... If I was queer, then perhaps a kiss or two. :yes:

Cheers.

- Richard

Hey all,

As some of you have noticed, I've been out of the scene for the past ~8 months or so chasing after the ladies instead of the cars. :P

Anyway hoping that you lads, ladette, gents and mistresses can help/assist me with a recent problem - I think my Clutch Master Cylinder has farked it.

Firstly, I don't drive my S13 much.. Probably about once a week ...Noticed last night while I was coming home that my clutch wouldn't disengage properly, the clutch pedal felt rather awkward both upon depress and self-release/return. Depress felt too free and slighty clumsy, while the return was cumbersome requiring me to manually put my foot under the pedal to return it fully sometimes. Closer inspection today reveals an empty Clutch Master Cylinder Reservoir, slight dampness below and around the clutch pedal area and visible leakage from the push rod?.

From what I can gather, I'm either up for a new replacement Clutch Master Cylinder or to rebuild my current one (probably not).

So I guess what I'm after, is supporting comments either for or against my conclusion and some further advice... I presume this means that I'll have to bleed the system? Anyone willing to offer their some of their time please? (I'm still a noob)

If someone could kindy offer their expertise, then I'll not only express my gratitude but will pay in case of something and hugs... If I was queer, then perhaps a kiss or two. :yes:

Cheers.

- Richard

Your conclusion is correct. New or rebuild is up to you, just as good as each other. I would be able to give you a hand to bleed it only if the kisses are involved ;)

deff get brand new mate, cost alot more to get rebuilt. i paid $100ish for a genuine nissan one the other day

same happened to me. replaced both the master and the slave. except they used the wrong slave so it leaked again..... ended up replacing it myself and has been fine since.

Hey all,

Cheers.

- Richard

Your conclusion is correct. New or rebuild is up to you, just as good as each other. I would be able to give you a hand to bleed it only if the kisses are involved ;)

i'll remember that next time I'm doing a clutch bleed. I hate them. I've always found that pressure bleeding is best for S13 clutch's. I can never seem to get all the air out of them from a manual bleed.

I've beend getting into my RB20 conversion over the weekend and only have the wiring left now.... and to bleed the clutch.. ;)

Damn too bad i'm not a queer then! :lol: ...Haha cheers!

Actually.. What is involved in bleeding the system?

As looking at this thread here - http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/346562

...The draining from the dampener block, looks pretty straight forward, but then how do you fill it all back up again?

...Do you connect everything back up, fill the reservoir, then start pumping it? (the clutch pedal that is...)

deff get brand new mate, cost alot more to get rebuilt. i paid $100ish for a genuine nissan one the other day

Yeah, thinking that I might buy a new one, then either rebuild and/or sell the old one.. Might think about it more when I go into Nissan tomorrow and check out the $$$ prices on either option. :P

same happened to me. replaced both the master and the slave. except they used the wrong slave so it leaked again..... ended up replacing it myself and has been fine since.

I would probably prefer to replace the slave too.. But how much extra effort is involved in doing so?

...But then there isn't anything wrong with my current one yet...

i'll remember that next time I'm doing a clutch bleed. I hate them. I've always found that pressure bleeding is best for S13 clutch's. I can never seem to get all the air out of them from a manual bleed.

I've beend getting into my RB20 conversion over the weekend and only have the wiring left now.... and to bleed the clutch.. ;)

I presume that a 'manual' bleed is done by depressing the cluch pedal repeatedly? ...How do you 'pressure' bleed?

it was $214 for both all up at australian brake sleeving in qbn but wont go there again. so wasnt too bad.

really if your not sure get help... I'm more than happy to help as i'm sure most people are.

On s13's you have a master cylinder, a slave cylinder and a block in the middle... all 3 need to be bled.

To bleed the system you need to remove all the trapped air.

What you need to do is install the whole system, make sure everything is tight. fill the system with brake fluid (yes brake and clutch fluid are the same thing, and bleeding brakes is the same process)

The master cylinder will bleed itself when you fill it with fluid as the air will obviously bubble to the top of the resovior...

the block in the middle is designed to trap air bubbles so you need to get a 10m spanner and crack open the bleeder nipple, only loosen it enough so that a little brake fluid starts leaking out. Get someone to push down on the clutch pedeal and hold it to the floor while you are under the car. You will see the fluid squirt out and spit bubbles out. While the clutch pedal is on the floor you need to tighten the bleeder nipple back up. Once it is tight the person in the car will have to pull the clutch pedal back up off the floor. Do you let the clutch pedal up while the bleeder nipple is not tight, this will suck air back into the system....

You will need to do this process up to 5 times.... Keep going until when the clutch pedal is depressed there is a constant stream of brake/clutch fluid coming from the brake nipple and no air bubbles left in the system.

You will need to then do the same process for the clutch slave cylinder. You will find the bleeder nipple is always located at the top of the cylinder/brake calipers as this is where the air gets trapped...

With pressure bleeding you basically connect a pump to the master cylinder and use a pump to force all the brake fluid into the lines at pressure. This will force any air that is locked in the lines to be pushed out and hence pressure bleeds the system..

Whatever you do, don't let the resovior run out of fluid, keep it topped up otherwise you will push more air back in the system...

what he said lol and if you need a hand give me yell and ill swing by and see if i can help out but dont now anything sbout pressure bleeding ill leave that one to tai

EXCELLENT INFORMATION! - THANK YOU TAI! :thumbsup:

At the moment, I'm planning to do this tomorrow ..Mostly by myself with dad's assistance, unless someone else is available for an hour or so?

can you get the parts tomorrow? manually bleeding it is easy. just follow the instructions and youll be fine. do it many times.

Going to go down to Lennock Motors / Nissan tomorrow and see if I can get a new Clutch Master Cylinder - If not, then I'll ring around Canberra ...Will also need to get DOT 3 brake fluid from what I understand, and may consider getting a pressure pump to assist with the bleeding procedure.

why are random parts of your posts in bold?

What makes you think they're random?! ...They've been bold'd strategically. :ph34r:

..And because I can :P

arh the old clutch shaggers itself trick... oldy but a pain in the ass goody..

how did u go?

as for the ladies... be careful of the power of the fury magnet.. the force is strong with them and easily influences the weak and hungry... dont fall for "i'm on the pill - AKA i need another kid, centrelink pays more for 7... be careful of visible warning signs, such as mongrel child 1 alpha... more of concern and to be carefully listened out for are the audible warning signs such as, "so how much do you earn", my (insert object) just broke, can i borrow etc... and un seen mongrel children, as they may living with 1 of any number of possible donors/fathers - poor blokes who fell for "i'm on the pill...

be strong now . . .

Ahaha cheers for the advice there Greg! ..But I'm not going to comment! :P

Right.. Off to do some shopping this morning..

EDIT: DAMNIT! ...No Clutch Master Cylinder ...yet. - Does anyone have one they can sell me? ...Otherwise I'm going to start ringing around..

So far.. Got a quote for a rebuild, ~$100+

OMG! ...New one for $63 ...Although "some bending of lines required" :blink:

OKAY! ...So plan is, try and get part (Clutch Master Cylinder) today > Install tomorrow ...Still after some companionship too :wub:

Hey all,

Cheers.

- Richard

Check your clutch pedal inside the car as well.

When my master shat itself i ended up with the fluid running down my clutch pedal, then dripping onto the floor.

Brake fluid eats away at stuff if its there long enough.

get one off my old work, i got a brand new master, slave, and hose :)

was cheap too.

move your car so it doesnt get hit on the street

Check your clutch pedal inside the car as well.

When my master shat itself i ended up with the fluid running down my clutch pedal, then dripping onto the floor.

Brake fluid eats away at stuff if its there long enough.

Ahhh cheers for the advice! Will do! :thumbsup:

get one off my old work, i got a brand new master, slave, and hose :)

was cheap too.

Which is your old work? ...Too late now anyway, got a new Clutch Master Cylinder for $63 today! :D

move your car so it doesnt get hit on the street

Uhhhh yeah... got a plan for that... lol :ph34r:

Ah yeah, went there... Didn't have them in stock and would be a fair delay to get them in.

DAMNIT! .. I think I'm going to need a trolley jack which I don't have! ...GRRRR I'll probably have to do this tomorrow then *if* I can acquire one tonight. :(

Are you still in callam Richard? You can borrow my jack if you want? ill bring it to work tomorrow. Give me a call on my ext.

screw it ill call you.

edit: OK youre not listed. call me.

Thanks Simon! :lol:

:wub::hug:

Soo..

Car is up on ramps.

System drained of brake fluid (mostly).

Old Clutch Master Cylinder removed.

New Clutch Master Cylinder installed and screwed in.

Hydraulic line "bent" to accommodate new Clutch Master Cylinder and screwed in.

Push rod reconnected to clutch pedal.

Then for tomorrow...

Figure out how the F()@$K! the push rod can be adjusted on the clutch pedal! :cursing:

Bleed the system. - Still might need someones assistance with this please?!

Test run.

adjusted? what did you buy? it shouldn't be adjustable unless you bought a universal one and in that case it will either come with an assortment of rods or the rod will screw in/screw out.

Where did you say you live? I can probably help over the weekend. i'm a bit busy before then.

The Clutch Master Cylinder looks almost exactly like this one -

3061004f60.jpg

Pretty much a standard replacement except that the outlet nozzle attaches from below rather that the side on the factory unit.

The push rod has a screw thread at the end, where there is a single nut and fork that joins the pedal by a clevis pin.

Just not having much room to work with makes this FKN annoying as I'm not sure how I can adjust it so the pedal has more travel - Rather than taking eveything off again and attempting to refit. ...I think part of the problem/difficulty is in the actual push rod itself rotating... I think I need to loosen the nut..

Live in the Woden area.. Pretty much going to try and get this sorted out tomorrow as much as I can one way or another.

man if some one runs into the back of you give me your guards and front bar and mybe your head lights as well hahaha wasthat your aim for leaving your car parked where it was?

Shhh Stuart ...I made sure to wear a high-visibility jacket. - Safety first :yes:

EDIT: Here we go this is the part that I'm talking about... But I actually need to release it more as mine is too deep -

dscf0041h.jpg

Right.. Figured it out! ...I think... A little unsure to the amount of pedal travel though, seems a lot less than what it was before removing the old one. :S

..Might help if I bleed the system then try adjusting it again... <_>

Right.. Figured it out! ...I think... A little unsure to the amount of pedal travel though, seems a lot less than what it was before removing the old one. :S

..Might help if I bleed the system then try adjusting it again... <_>

My pedal wasn't the same again either. Its really soft at the top and the usual heavyness when you get down to the friction point.

I couldn't be bothered resolving this as the clutch works anyway.