Sign in to follow this  
Ecstasy

Clutch Master Cylinder Problems - Assistance Please!

So we tried to bleed the system... From what I can tell it's mostly bleed and done, as in no more bubbles.

But now.. There is a lot less travel on the pedal with a bit of free play up top! ..The friction point is about mid-way on the pedal travel with it not self-returning completely (free play) and it doesn't appear to fully disengaged until close to the firewall!

Almost seems like the push rod is a lot shorter than the original even though I'm pretty sure it's not!

To this effect, the clutch pedal is no longer lining up with the brake and accelerator pedal. :S

I think the whole pedal/push rod needs adjusting, but can't quite work out how-to exactly.. I have searched, but any advice/pointers/tips?

EDIT 1: Well, the good news is - The car drives again!

EDIT 2: Hmm now I'm even more confussed! - http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread/289612

EDIT 3: Well this looks simple enough - http://www.miata.net/garage/adjust_clutch/index.html

Alright took another look, still can't work out what's wrong.. and I'm doubting that the system has been bleed properly as I can hear 'squeaks' coming from within the master cylinder when I push against the pedal ...Thinking that it might be an air pocket?

I've tried adjusting the push rod and shaft, but it seems the more I adjust it, the further away it becomes from being lined up with the other pedals. :S

Not even sure if pushing the pedal all the way to the firewall is disengaging the clutch 100% either! ..Wouldn't like to think that it's wearing away at my clutch in the mean time.

If not tomorrow.. Then is anyone available Saturday morning to take a peek and guide me to where might the problem be? ..Woden area. :unsure:

EDIT 1: Hmm sort of what's happening with my situation - http://nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?s...h+pedal+problem

EDIT 2: I'm going to check and see if the original push rod fork is longer than the replacement, perhaps that's part of the problem as to why the pedal is no longer in-line with the other pedals... CHECKED: Damn, looks to be the same! :(

Alright got it fixed $$$ today... Apparently I was correct in thinking that the push rod on the replacement cylinder is slightly shorter. :S

Otherwise, at least the system is bleed properly now too, feels much better.. Will need to start thinking about replacing the slave cylinder sometime in the future aswell. :(

Thanks for the advice guys! :thumb:

slaves are only about $50, so not much out of your pocket there...

$50 is probably a retail price, they can be picked up much cheaper you just need to do a little research first. Go to a "DECENT" auto shop and ask to see their clutch book.... Make sure you go in with the dimensions you need or bring your slave cylinder with you. Have a look through the book until you can find one that will be close enough to do the job. I've done this many many times, you usually pick up one off the shelf for around $20