Sign in to follow this  
Deep-Dish

Aquarium Chat Thread

HOLD UP!!

That marine source skimmer is incredible.. BUT wait.. what size tank have you got? Wait didnt you buy that 4ft tank you told me about?

So confused dude..

So what have you purchased so far?

hey guys, just after some advice,

i got a load of 20 neon tetras to add to my tank on the weekend and noticed they have white spot, (yes silly me for not quarantining them first)

so my plan is to up the temp to 30 degrees and was going to add 2grams per litre of salt.

Will this be effective or am i better off buying white spot medication?

other fish in the tank include, pakistani loaches, zebra dainos, and redfin sharks,

will all my fish handle the salt and temp increase?

watch the salt with your loaches. fairly sensitive buggers, having no scales and all. white spot lurvs loaches

Alright awesome, so 4ft tank plus say 3ft sump.. That will nearly be 650L... So your skimmer should be able to handle double the volume..

So i recommend a skimmer rated up to 1500L.

So Octopus Vortex 1500L as suggested before. The marine source one on guppies site is overkill for your needs.

In terms of light, i guess that metal halide will do the job great since its 3*150watt. Does it have internal timer by anychance?

Speak to ya online anywyas..

Hi,

I have a 2.5ft cube tank for sale.. Includes stand and sump and all piping work!!

Price: $300 or nearest offer.

Reason for sale: Was going to use it as quarantine tank, but realized its overkill..

Extra info: Tank has center weir..It comes with all plumbing and piping work required to get this all working :) No leaks at all!!

Pictures:

IMG_9013.jpg

Kuroshio Sea - 2nd largest aquarium tank in the world

hey guys, just after some advice,

i got a load of 20 neon tetras to add to my tank on the weekend and noticed they have white spot, (yes silly me for not quarantining them first)

so my plan is to up the temp to 30 degrees and was going to add 2grams per litre of salt.

Will this be effective or am i better off buying white spot medication?

other fish in the tank include, pakistani loaches, zebra dainos, and redfin sharks,

will all my fish handle the salt and temp increase?

watch the salt with your loaches. fairly sensitive buggers, having no scales and all. white spot lurvs loaches

well the end result is, 22 neon tetras dead and all other fish survived. Im guessing the salt must have killed the tetras as there natural environment is rainwater pools etc. maybe i shoulda have just tried protoizin and not added the salt, meh all about experience i guess!

far out.. i would hate to have 22 fish dead :(

i no it was crazy, i expected a few to die but every single tetra!

made me think it must have been the salt and not the white spot infection because all the other species of fish survived

hey all of my tetras died from my white spot treatment too :) i only had 8 though. they're not very resilient hey?!

BFG is now spotless though ^_^

I had about 13 fish die on me in a matter of 3-4 days. No idea what killed them

any background info on this? id love to see the behind the scenes stuff on this, how they introduced such sizely fish etc

how long did you have the tank for?

any background info on this? id love to see the behind the scenes stuff on this, how they introduced such sizely fish etc

Some info:

It holds a staggering 7,500 tonnes of water - roughly equal to three Olympic-sized swimming pools.

Eighty species live in the Kuroshio Sea tank, including yellow-fin tuna, bonito (a type of large mackerel) and manta rays.

But the daddy of them all is the world's biggest fish, the whale shark - which can grow to be 12 metres long and needs a quarter of a tonne of food every week.

Only three aquariums in the world have tanks large enough to house these giant creatures.

The four whale sharks at Churaumi move around comfortably - swimming diagonally past each other and feeding with their long tails touching the plethora of colourful corals at the bottom of the tank.

Rather than hand-pick fish from around the world and force them to mix in unfamiliar waters, the emphasis in the Kuroshio Sea tank is placed on local sea life.

All the species housed here can be found thriving around Okinawa - and even the water itself is pumped in from 300 metres offshore.

It is no surprise, then, that this titanic space requires an equally large observation panel.

I will see if i can find some behind the scene stuff..

This reminds me of the guy in america who tired to build a massive fish tank!! You should have seen the size of his skimmer :o

This is the guy in america who was building a massive fish tank in his backyard.. It nearly got completed.. Dont know what happened to him..

There was a massive 60 page thread about it.. but got locked :(

IMG_7039.jpg

i cant see any coral in there lol?

how long did you have the tank for?

Umm good question....2 months? I started off with a fighter fish and then added neons and guppies later on..about a weekl after i added the guppies all my neons and fighter fish died...the next day a few of my guppies died

sounds like a case of too many fish in tank how big was the tank

speedy180(and everyone) - surely neons are cold water fish and cranking the temperature to anything warm never mind 30degrees wouldn't be good for em?

speedy180(and everyone) - surely neons are cold water fish and cranking the temperature to anything warm never mind 30degrees wouldn't be good for em?

true, i think the temp increase and salt probably killed them more that the white spot treatment, but i wanted to make sure i got rid of that white spot for good.

The white spot probably already made them weak and vunerable to big changes in temperature

i cant see any coral in there lol?

hahahh not yet!!

But imgaine what it would have looked like when completed.

Brunettebeautys tank was big enough for the fish she had. I think it might have needed the water to be changed more often.

So i have been consistently dosing calcium into my tank to increase it from a constant 400 to around 440ish now.

Due to this i have seen a big increase in growth and colour in all my corals.

Here are some pics to show you what i mean :)

- Close up shot of my finger leather corals. You can see how fury it is now. Its also grown twice as big!!

IMG_9015.jpg

- My elegance coral is looking very healthy now. Colours are really popping :) I think it prefers it on the sand than on the rocks too..

IMG_9023_resize.jpg

- My duncan corals have grown a lot too

IMG_8831reisze1.jpg

- This is what my tank looks like now:

IMG_9027_resize.jpg

aw i thought you ment coral in the worlds second biggest tank lol

but yours is looking sweet man

i wouldnt mind having a big aquarium at my joint. only thing is dont have enough money,

crazy tank dude!

Thanks man :)

aw i thought you ment coral in the worlds second biggest tank lol

but yours is looking sweet man

heheh that thing doesnt even need corals..

i wouldnt mind having a big aquarium at my joint. only thing is dont have enough money,

Just start off with something small :)

I just found one of my peppermint shrimps today!! I bought it a long time a go, to eat my aiptasias. But the next day they just disappeared. So this whole time im thinking my 6line ate it.. I only spotted one of the shrimps.. So no idea where the other 3 are!!

Heres a pic of them on day1:

shrimp.jpg

nononono neons are a tropical fish. please do your research before keeping pets. they suffer badly in cold water. they like it round 25deg. anything much over that is bad too.

that massive aquarium is amazing, but how do they expect to keep 4 of the the worlds largest fish, things used to crossing oceans in pissy 3 swimming pools worth of water? not to mention the mantas and tuna, which are also long distance species