Sign in to follow this  
Deep-Dish

Aquarium Chat Thread

Ive got a 8x2x2 in my lounge room. it has 10 monoculus and 20 metyniss in it. i also have a 5x2x2 a 6x2x2 and 2 4x2x2's ive alwats kept fish.

here is a link to some older videos of my 8x2x2. im hoping to sell it and get a 10x4x3 for the lounge room by years end.

watch in HQ :)

This is why i love marine over freshwater:

Just incredible!! must see!!

------------

im hoping to sell it and get a 10x4x3 for the lounge room by years end

Crazy!!! the depth is gonna be so hard to maintain.. 4ft depth :o CRAZY MAN!!

Sidd get back to me bro, selling my two tanks and starting fresh, cant fit either of my large ass tanks in my share house so im getting a 80LTR.

Just want to check what coral and fish go together

cheers bro

Endlss - get back to you about what sorry?? did i miss something??

about what to do tank wize lol? you are the same siddr20 from ns.com arnt you? i have you on msn lol

aww fark this is ns.com, i thought i was on skylinesaustralia.com baha yeah dude i was talking to you a while ago about marine tanks, and just wanted some more advice lol

AHAHAHHAHA yea man i know you got me on msn..

Ok will check sau now. actually can you post the link here?? saves me searching lol

or pm me again with what you would like to know.. ta

i have a 1 metre by 60cm approx. tank at home. Im into australian native fish and i currently have a purple spotted gudgeon.. which is a few years old. :)

went to osaka aquarium.. absolutely awesome.. epic big tank too =)

Was bored, so found a little fish tank for free, bought filter for $30 from pet shop, started building a light for it, going to add more soon (pics shortly).

Sid - WOW just WOW!, had no idea home setups got so complicated and expensive lol. Your stuff is insane crazy and looks awesome!!! :hypo:

Has actually got me intrigued now, have a few questions - can you explain how the whole sump tank/weir/durso,syphon,return pipes, etc, thing works, what the skimmer does (is it 'the filter' or something else?), yeah yeah yeah I want to know more!

Also, where do you buy all this stuff from??! I've never been to a pet store with salt water fish, coral, or anything like that! :huh:

^ awesome start dude :) I started off with a little tank with two clown fish and live rocks. But im guessing you going with freshwater?

A lots changed since the pic i posted on the last page. This is what it looks like now:

You can see how much everything has grown.

IMG_8233_resize.jpg

Has actually got me intrigued now, have a few questions - can you explain how the whole sump tank/weir/durso,syphon,return pipes, etc, thing works, what the skimmer does (is it 'the filter' or something else?), yeah yeah yeah I want to know more!

So basically the weir in my tank is located far back left of the tank (you can have the weir at any location if you wish). The water flows into this chamber (weir), and flows down into the sump. There are three pipes in there. Two of which allows the water to flow down into the sump (60/40 ratio). One of them is just a backup pipe incase the other fails. Plus last thing you want is such a massive force of water gushing down into the sump. The protien skimmer is like a filter. It picks up all the gunk and strips the water of any undesirable waste. It traps the airbubles and filters it. Its quite amazing how it works, by just circulating water in the chamber of the skimmer. Its something to do with surface tension. All the return pump does it pump the water back into the tank. So its like a cycle.

I would only put a weir/skimmer in if you have a large tank or stock a lot of corals/fish.

Also adding a sump adds extra water. The more volume of water the more stable the tank can become.

The above is just a simple setup. It can get very complicated too when people add refugiums in the sump to calcium reactors to automatic dosing pumps etc etc..

But once you get the hang of it, its so easy to take care off. I hardly do any water changes now. The tank is very stable and everything is thriving!!

Also, where do you buy all this stuff from??

There are many aquariums that sell saltwater setups, from fish to corals to tanks and equipement. Also just like ns.com, there are fish forums. Im member on MASA forums. Probably one of the best forums for salt water setups.

Hope i have helped in some way. If you have any questions ask away :)

Yep! Ok next question, is the weird/sump setup only for saltwater tanks or good to do with any tank that is just large i.e. I imagine it makes water changes shit loads easier etc.

Also what's the 3rd pipe, you mentioned called the syphon one?

No idea if people do that for fresh water setups. Im sure someone here whos into freshwater can answer that question. Sorry dude i know nothing about freshwater.. heck i probably wont even know how to look after one lol..

The idea of a weir also is for safety reasons. You dont want pipes hanging out the back of the tank etc.. last thing you want is a pipe falling off and flooding your whole place. Also the setup looks a lot neater.

This is my setup:

IMG_7395small.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

skimmer.jpg

^ looks a lot neater now.. yea i designed my sump wrong. The baffle in the middle should have been a lot lower. Too late now to change it :(

Ok so there is syphon(backup), durso, and the return pipe.

The syphon has the big valve in it to control the amount of water coming down. This pipe is a lot lower than the durso.

I will draw a diagram for you:

t.jpg

Hey sidd check this

meet marvin

IMG_0522.jpg

FTS

IMG_0550.jpg

close up

IMG_0549.jpg

right hand side

(view from my bed)

IMG_0551.jpg

excuse bad photos there off my iphone

so i have a leather coral, a green hammer, orange zoo's, a red morph and small collection of purple morphs, a daisy coral and a good size collection of violet star polyps that have an awesome green center.

my blue damsel

marvin the coral banded shrimp

2 snails

1 hermit named zoidberg

im waiting on a very small elegance coral and an ocean caught orange clownfish

aswell as some green morphs, some zoo frags, hopefully a blue acro and a purple acro and thats just about it

Also waiting to see if LFS can get me a purple firefish (not sure if this would be over populating tho)

Wish i had a smaller leather :( but i still love it! just take up alot of viewing space and almost my whole sand bed...

and waiting on elagance and some aqua putty before i reaquascape, have a really neet place for the elegance and also the rock with purple morphs (wait and see)

my tank is contantly

zero nitrate

zero nitrite

zero amonia

but have a little trouble keeping the hardness above 110, keep dosing it to get up around the 140ppm mark where i like it.

as soon as i et this tank to where i want it i will be upgrading to a 3 foot (possibly 2 foot... not 100% yet) but im going to make a custom tank that remains all in one, just like this build thread tank

http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=209869&sid=e2aba655fd0f7da5019d48a36ba9728e

thanks for looking :)

JUST INCREDIBLE!!! About time you posted some pics.. AND OMG that leather coral looks amazing. Nice variety of corals in there.

Loving your shrimp. I always wanted one, but afraid they might eat my peppermint shrimps. But now that my shrimps are dead, i might just get one hehe.

Also waiting to see if LFS can get me a purple firefish (not sure if this would be over populating tho)

I always wanted one too. Was so close to buying one few months back. I had a normal one in my tank last year, but kept getting bullied by my sixline.

Im actually surprised that leather coral isnt attached to any rocks??

In regards to the hardness you referring to alkalinity? If so, i dose bi-carb soda into my tank. It costs 1.95 from wollies. Get the mckenzies brand.

the leather is on a small rock, buried under the sand bed, cause he stands up so straight i dont have a problem with him falling over or anything.

definently get one dude, the biggest one you can find haha there amazing, there was one the size of a 20c coin at my lfs, but it had a yellow chest and was twice the price! i was WTF :(

yeah purple firefish are hard to get apparantly? oh yeah also my leather is too tall and stands out of the water if i put him on a rock haha.

yeah alkalinity, i already have a big tub of aquasonic carbonic generator that i does my water changes with :) spewing i didnt know that earlier haha.

also thanks for the kind words sidd, after all it was soley you that convinced me to start a saltwater tank, and 90% of my advice came from you :)

noob question, with these coral, can they sting you or bite or anything like that? and how do you handle them when installing into tank, just with hands or gloves or?

Here is my small fish tank (going to shop to get rest of stuff today :P),

28-4-10_1.jpg

Here is my bowl that will have one fighter in it,

28-4-10_2.jpg

the dice in fighter tank is a sweet idea :) keep the pics coming today

the leather is on a small rock, buried under the sand bed, cause he stands up so straight i dont have a problem with him falling over or anything.

definently get one dude, the biggest one you can find haha there amazing, there was one the size of a 20c coin at my lfs, but it had a yellow chest and was twice the price! i was WTF :(

yeah purple firefish are hard to get apparantly? oh yeah also my leather is too tall and stands out of the water if i put him on a rock haha.

yeah alkalinity, i already have a big tub of aquasonic carbonic generator that i does my water changes with :) spewing i didnt know that earlier haha.

also thanks for the kind words sidd, after all it was soley you that convinced me to start a saltwater tank, and 90% of my advice came from you :)

heheh i got a different leather coral. Mine is the finger leather coral. its smack bang in the middle of the tank. I reckon its a foot wide and tall!! Its seirously huge!!

But i love leather corals!!

Yup purple firefish are hard to get. But if you order it will be fine. Might go into kims aquarium and see if they got one. Also going to get peppermint shrimps soon. My Aiptasias are coming back :(

Man happy to help you out anytime. Its good to see that your tank is doing really well. Just dont do any sudden changes, and it will be stable as a rock!! Keep updating those pics :)

noob question, with these coral, can they sting you or bite or anything like that? and how do you handle them when installing into tank, just with hands or gloves or?

Yes they can. My elegance coral (bottom left of the tank), can sting you and leave your hand numb. I use those pick up tool thingy to handle that coral. Otherwise just use my hands. Yes corals can sting each other and get killed. So best to leave a big of gap betweeen corals.

Here is my small fish tank (going to shop to get rest of stuff today :P),

Here is my bowl that will have one fighter in it,

Awesome dude :) So what else you buying?? and what fish you going to stock? Keep updating those pics.

Speaking of pics..

Some more of my corals etc:

IMG_8239_resize.jpg

IMG_8246_resize.jpg

IMG_5681_resize.jpg

my little frags:

IMG_5690_resize.jpg

my awesome star fish:

starfish.jpg

my fav fish: yellow tang

IMG_5063.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

Yep! Ok next question, is the weird/sump setup only for saltwater tanks or good to do with any tank that is just large i.e. I imagine it makes water changes shit loads easier etc

Sumps can be used on both freshwater and marine aquariums. But morso seen on saltwater or larger freshwater aquariums, where a canister filter on its own is inadequate.

Their are a fair few advantages having a sump system eg.

*Being able to store all your loose bit of hardware ie. Thermometers, heaters, calcium reactors, automatic dosers, protein skimmers, airators etc. inside your cabinet in the sub tank, obviously instead of cluttering the main tank.

*Depending on your sump setup and the amount of chambers, you can accommodate a refugium* or mangrove plant, thus helping keep the nitrates at a more controllable level.

*Sumps are pretty much like an open canister filter. They still use different grades of filter wool/matting, bio-balls and baffles for debris filtration, Aiding the storing of good bacteria, to maintain stable water parameters.

*Another advantage of having a sump is that the main tank wont show signs of evaporation, so that the water always meets the top of the overflow wall. So you just top the sump up with RO or salt water to keep the sump topped up.

*Medications can also be dosed through the sump instead of the main tank to insure no spikes on fish or corals, and to make sure the the medication disperses thoroughly.

Gota run, lunch breaks over. Any questions, ask.

Cheers for info DeepDish.

Ok well got the rest of the stuff for my tank, fell into the trap of buying too much though cos a few years ago I had a 150L tank and forgot how small mine is now :lol: :lol:

It's a bit crowded but I'm not throwing stuff away so meh lol:

Tank.jpg

^ Will be getting some fish for it tmoro.

I got one male fighter fish for the bowl. Didn't plan on having anything else but the dice but had so much plant left over thought may as well stick it in. Pretty croweded but spose it stimulates the fish a bit more as apposed to an empty jar lol.

Bowl.jpg

I like the setup in the big tank.. Looks cool :)

oh and dude, theres like no room for the fish to swim in that little bowl!! I would take the plants out.

hey sidd and endlss. quick question, sorry if it's been answered before, but how much would a set up like yours cost all up?

if you have the time to break down the cost that would be great otherwise a rough overall figure?

tanks look great. i'm thinking about getting one just by looking at those pics!

hey vozdra thanks, i cant speak for sidd's setup but my tank owes me aprox $800 (pretty sure its a fair bit less)

thank tank is an all in one design so i have the sump in the back of the tank instead of the front, its commonly called a nano tank. i payed aprox $300 for the tank and everything i needed to set it up (test kits, salt, heater, thermoniter, salinity tester etc) so i consider that great value and your local fish shop (who deals in marine setups) could probly put a kit together for you.

Unfortunatly i only have one lfs in about a 3 hour radius that does marine stuff so im forced to pay a penalty tax for this and all my stock is more expensive. ie my coral and live rock plus my fish

just as a breakdown

leather coral - $65

green hammer coral - $90

orange zoo's - $45

Purple morphs - $65

Star polyps - $35

damsel - $18

Coral banded shrimp - $85

hermit - $14

2 snails - $24

a random 20L sealed container to store pre made saltwater was about $30

and some food cost me about $15 all up for two different types (flakes and a premade mix of gook)

rough calc is about $650-$700 there?

my ocean caugt clown is about $85, my elagance is gonna be about $80 i think

Also sidd what do you think of that link i posted about a custom 2 foot all in one? im thinking of doing the same thing, with possibly a 3foot, but maybe a 2 foot. i could set it up however i want really? use a higher powered return pump and plumb it so that it returns water at both ends of the tank? and i guess id still have to run a powerhead? unless i use a pretty big return pump... but would i have flow issues then? ie: not enough water being able to get into the rear chambers?

need to have a big talk dude cause my tank is too small, but i dont have enough room in my share house to run a sump setup :(

This hobby can be done on a reasonable budget. It all depends on what size tank you want and what you want out of it. I started off with a small 75L tank with two clown fish and live rocks. This setup cost me 200 all up. I learnt as much as i could about maintaining a saltwater tank and after a year i then upgraded to a 4ft tank (approx 500L with sump).

Before i go into price break down, join masa forums and purchase a 2nd hand setup. You will save a lot of money this way.

If you buying brand new:

- 4*2*2ft tank with weir plus sump with baffles - maybe 600-750 new?? guessing here i got no idea. I know my sump (the most basic design) alone was about 200. These prices also depends on how thick you choose your glass to be.

- then bulkheads, plumbing bits, misc stuff - $150-200

- Stand - cost me about $150 to make. I made my own stand :) - cheaper!!

- Lights - I orginally had metal halides (acradia series 3 which retails at $2000). Bought mine 2nd hand for 1k. I then sold it and bought LED lights for about $600..

- powerhead - $60 bucks each (got 2)

- heater - $30

- Skimmer - $300

- Chiller - $500 2nd hand

- Return pump - $100

- Test kits/other measuring equipments - $100-200??.. This is like a once off purchase. Will last for ever.

- Other things i maybe have forgotten - $100 plus

- RO/DI unit - $350-400 - VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE!!! ACTUALLY ITS A MUST for salt water tanks. Offcourse you dont have to spend as much as i did (well all depends on your tank size)

- Stand for my lights - $100 - made it myself, cheaper once again..

Fish, snails and other things - maybe $500 all up in my tank. I got yellow tang, two clown fish, sixline, hermit crabs, 4 chromis, blue star fish etc etc..

Coral - Oh i cant tell you how much its worth. Maybe $500 all up

Clam - I can easily fetch close to $700-1k mark. But you can buy baby ones starting at $200-250.

Once again, you dont have to have all these items in your tank. Look at 2nd hand tanks and save some money. This is what i did :)

This is what my tank looked like when i first got it: A bit of a clean and it will look like new :)

IMG_1313.jpg

Making my stand:

IMG_7215resize.jpg

etc etc..

If you new to this, perhaps just get live rocks in your tank with a few fish. Dont get corals till you get the hang of maintainning the tank.

Endlss - yes we gotta have a talk. Now before you setup that design, make sure you leave enough room to fit the skimmer, pumps etc in the sump. But we will talk more about this soon. Its an awesome idea tho!! DO IT!!