Sign in to follow this  
Deep-Dish

Aquarium Chat Thread

f**k thats no good man, stop pushing so hard when you take dumps! And on the serious note hope everything is alright.

Post some pics up of the tank mate, i would be interested to see how it is.

cyno will go away easily with water changes, battled it for ages. Water changes, 50% every 2-3 days will drop the nitrates.

Heres some pics of my build atm.

The stand i built a long time ago, just reinforced it lately to accommodate a few extra Kg's.

The main tank is 10mm glass, rimless and brace-less 500*400*500, but not starphire, the overflow box is perspex and running a 25mm drain to sump.

The sump is 3 stages, first is a inlet and skimmer stage, followed by a refugium, a bubble trap and then a return stage and heater housing, into a 20mm return pipe into the tank.

Lighting:

I am currently making my LED set up, i am aiming at a full spectrum array( red, RB, B, CW, NW and UV) but we will see how it handles. All running off a dual channel set up the meanwell 48D's and a typhoon controller.

IMAG0009.jpgIMAG0010.jpgIMAG0011.jpgIMAG0014.jpgIMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

Oh man that sucks big time :( Hopefully once you fully recover you can re do your tank.

How are you fish though?

SPudnic - Cool little setup you got there. Look forward seeing the progress of your tank :)

Made my first ever video today while having dinner. Yes lots to improve on.

Just used Imovie. Just a short clip of a few corals moving.

Ignore the sand blowing around everywhere.. I purchased two new powerheads so sand hasn't settled yet.

Love how the corals are browned out LOL looks very average colour too :/

12x T5's ouch on power

not a great deal of tank for the price :/

Probably go the aquaone over it TBH.

Yeah I wouldn't use those lights. But they have improved a lot over the older models.

Im sure you could just make/design your own tank for a lot less. But for those who want a plug and play unit this will be good (thats if you have the cash).

Actually had a good look at the new rsm. I like the tank itself, nice thick starfire front panel, not much else. It's going to be a very power hungry setup and the sump is a weird design. Plus lfs said it took 5-6 hours just to put the stand together no plumbing or anything else done yet

I just saw the video. Haven't read any reviews etc on it yet.

Recent pics from my tank:

FishSept--001_resize.jpg

My Gf's coral is coming back to life. The fluro green bits is what has grown in my tank. Looks amazing in person.

She had to move recently so she shut down her tank and I kept most of her corals.

FishSept--002_resize.jpg

Close up of my elegance coral:

FishSept--003_resize.jpg

FishSept--004_resize.jpg

FishSept--005_resize.jpg

Does anyone know the name of this coral? My neighbour gave it to me about 1.5 years ago. Been growing like crazy in my tank!!

FishSept--006_resize.jpg

This use to be a tiny coral when I purchased it from Itzmatty ages ago. Grown so much!!

FishSept--008_resize.jpg

FishSept--010_resize.jpg

FishSept--018_resize.jpg

Different photo if you noticed :P

That is some amazing photography!

Can someone tell me why Im finding what appears to be "maggots" in my tank? I Clean my tank regularly and had my water tested 1month ago.

http://youtu.be/uGT6kZBONEk

hmmmm looks like a bristle worm to me, not exactly dangerous or harmful, if you can get it out it won't do any harm, but watch out if you get stung by their bristles, it can hurt. But i don't think they are that much of a issue, i have a few in my tank that are around 15cm long.

They are good clean up crew for the tank, good things to have.

Their bristles do hurt, grabbed a big one out of my tank with bare hands and had 2 fingers covered in them :(

Just minuets after posting that, my lawnmower blenny ate it. But there's another one i seen under the one of rocks.

How do they grow? Or is it common to get this?

Thanks

They breed like crazy and can get out of control. But yeah dont touch them.

FishSept--016_resize.jpg

FishSept--015_resize.jpg

FishSept--014_resize.jpg

FishSept--019_resize.jpg

Well been slowly moving my LPS to a new 6ft tank and keeping this going. Mate came over with a better lens so we took some pics.

IMG_4571.jpg

IMG_4577.jpg

IMG_4581.jpg

IMG_4583.jpg

IMG_4592.jpg

IMG_4594.jpg

IMG_4563.jpg

IMG_4595.jpg

IMG_4559.jpg

IMG_4551.jpg

IMG_4549.jpg

IMG_4543.jpg

IMG_4539.jpg

IMG_4536.jpg

IMG_4535.jpg

IMG_4534.jpg

IMG_4532.jpg

IMG_4530.jpg

IMG_4529.jpg

IMG_4520.jpg

IMG_4518.jpg

IMG_4516.jpg

IMG_4511.jpg

IMG_4502.jpg

IMG_4496.jpg

IMG_4495.jpg

IMG_4487.jpg

IMG_4486.jpg

IMG_4478.jpg

IMG_4476.jpg

IMG_4474.jpg

IMG_4578.jpg

IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4575.jpg

FTS

IMG_4569.jpg

That tank looks amazing!

this one page has def re inspired me to setup a marine tank, every time i get keen i talk my way out of it somehow.

Get back into it man :) Its very rewarding once its all setup and running well.

Just scared of the maintance and initial cost! My fw tank has been going so long it runs itself basically. (until recent hair algea explosion)

same with saltwater, it takes care of itself, only reason mine has gone downhill was a stint of 2 weeks my parents had to look after it, they overfed the tank. Until it bombed i hadn't done a water change in over 6 months, and this is only a 150L tank..... probably half the issue but still......

My 75L nano is minimal maintenance, daily top ups with some bi-carb mixed in with it and fortnightly 20l water changes and everything is going awesomely

IMG_4454.jpg

This making a come back from having a heater shit itself and water temps drop to 13 degrees for a couple of days while wasn't home, almost everything died. This was it before on the same maintenance schedule. Way more Lps back then

SAM_0952.jpg

Thinking about changing to marine, Can anyone give me any pointers?

Par from a skimmer and some of that salt stuff what else do I need to get?

Can I reuse my filters?

It will fish only first till I get the hang of marine then I'll intro some corals.

My 75L nano is minimal maintenance, daily top ups with some bi-carb mixed in with it and fortnightly 20l water changes and everything is going awesomely

IMG_4454.jpg

This making a come back from having a heater shit itself and water temps drop to 13 degrees for a couple of days while wasn't home, almost everything died. This was it before on the same maintenance schedule. Way more Lps back then

SAM_0952.jpg

That looks unreal. And so easy

Do you use tap water or one of those RO contraptions?

those marine set ups look schmick!

I've just brought a 4x2x2 off my brother for my girls 5th birthday. It's got pretty much everything that's needed - will be fresh water, won't be too drastic is something fails - id hate the thought of losing all that coin in a marine set up on a first tank.

i didnt use a RO/DI filter for my top up water for about a year and a half, so its not necessary for it at the beginning. Only reason i went one was when i heavily stocked corals.

Always use rodi for everything.

My new 4x2x2 got finished today, couple more weeks till I get it wet though

20120922_115513_zpsb912fd3c.jpg

20120922_115530_zpse12174b2.jpg

so for my birthday my mate got me a aqua ray multi controller for my LED lights, it will simulate day and night with a gradual shift from blue to white to moonlight and also has a storm function that can simulate lightning, you need to be a rocket scientist to work it out its so complicated... still have to mount the controllers to my cupboard, then figure out how to work it all.... then start re stocking with more coral.

New 4x2x2 is looking great dude :)

Whats the the 4th hole in the weir for?

Im selling my 4x2x2 if anyone is keen?

Rudi - Nice man. Great birthday present. I purchased a ecotech Radion led unit yesterday. Cant wait for that o arrive.

It's for a bean animal, which is probably a bit unnecessary as between the bracing and weir comb nothing can make it in there. Also running the return up through the weir and out of the comb