Sign in to follow this  
Deep-Dish

Aquarium Chat Thread

Rudi - Nice man. Great birthday present. I purchased a ecotech Radion led unit yesterday. Cant wait for that o arrive.

yeah i got it working, except the storm function... which i believe what it does is randomly over a half hour period it dims and greys the lights and pulses white to imitate lightning! Supposedly it actually helps some breed of fish to spawn which only do it when there is a thunder storm?

Its pretty sick actually, i can do a test run mode, which does the whole light cycle in 1 minute, ill have to take a video and upload it for you guys, however:

1. Tank looks crap and bare now ive lost like 4 euphyllias

2. My green goni died :cry: and i blame my clownfish, but it did last 1 year

3. im going to the Philippines in 2 weeks with Jackie for 1 month, and i don't want to spend another $300 on coral, only for the old's to overfeed the tank and have it bomb again and loose even more money.

So once i get back ill re stock.

OOhhhhh my mate also bought me a something? ummm its a disk of coral that sits on the floor bed, doesn't do much except absorb water and fatten up, looks like a single fluffy corallimorph flower, apparently they usually are only brown, this one is fluro orange, so mate said he got it.

MMM ill take some photo and a vid maybe tomorrow after work.

I'm dying for some advice, I've for a 40gal that has been fresh water forever, I want to convert to FOWLR, but can't find anything definitive on it.

All the different threads kinda just say make sure you don't forget to take the fish out before you confer across.

And what hardware is nesscory?

All my nano runs is skimmer, heater and flow pump.

I also have a phosban reactor running rowaphos but that is more for coral health than anything

Water changes is the main priority in a smaller tank

have you read through all 50 pages? plenty of info in this thread, my tank from the very start from buying the glass to building the cabinet and getting the tank first wet, is all documented here, step by step.

Mine has:

-Canister filter

-Chiller/heater.

-protien skimmer (for coral)

-powerhead

-lights

Hrmmm for fish only i think you only need the following,as its all i started with:

A canister filter

A heater element

A light unit.

Edited by CroS13

i scanned it, need to have a serious read.

my plan is to :

Powerheads

heater

live rock

then over the next few months get a skimmer and maybe put my cannister back on it, although ive read mixed things about it?

oh and whatever substrate the guy at the petsore recommends.

Edited by frenchie1001

If you got a skimmer you wont need a canister filter (my person opinion).

Substrate - Personal choice. I like coral sand.

Deposit paid for my new tank :) Cant wait.

My current tank is for sale if anyone is keen?

Question

Can anyone recommend someone to help build a custom setup?

Im considering picking up a bare 3ft tank but I will need overflows installed, sumps built etc

Rough prices would be good so I don't get ripped, thanks

Ps I'm in Brisbane

Edited by r33cruiser

If you got a skimmer you wont need a canister filter (my person opinion).

My current tank is for sale if anyone is keen?

hrmmmm..... how much you want dahling?

But only for the tank and sump... i love you, but you can keep your tank stand :lol:

But me being the tightarse i am... you probably wont take my offer of like 200 bucks right? :P

and i think it depends if frenchie wants to run a sump or not, remember, i have my canister filter because no sump!

Edited by CroS13

not running a sump, have decided to run the cannister as well, with a crushed coral subsrate and duel "brand i have forgotten" poweheads.

just got to finish cleaning my tank out and it begins.

you should think about runnning a undergravel plenum chamber also. how many liters is your tank?

If it was me I'd just run hang on back skimmer ditch the canister. Way less maintenance in my opinion.

I'd probably do it different, take off 3inches on a side of the tank, have it like a wier into 3 sections. first bits through filter wool (clean daily), then through coral rubble, then a skimmer like a deltec mc500, then a return pump to main tank

Man my stand is rock solid :) Just needs doors hahah. I got the wood for the doors. Just haven't bothered putting it on.

Yeah man you can have it for $200 bucks. But you gotta pick it up.

I will be ready in 2 months if you can wait that long?

36gal from memory, I need to double check,

I've read/been told really different things about canister/skimmer. I'll probably just see how it goes.

What are you stocking in your tank? Or planning too?

From there you can decide what equipment you need. But do it right the first time then in the future you wont have to upgrade etc.

Lots of 2nd hand tanks for sale on MASA forums: http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/buysell/index.php?sid=0c658d762220a9b3fd2d09aaf3a6364c

From there you can decide what equipment you need. But do it right the first time then in the future you wont have to upgrade etc.

Lots of 2nd hand tanks for sale on MASA forums: http://www.masa.asn....d2d09aaf3a6364c

Lots of 2nd hand tanks for sale on MASA forums: http://www.masa.asn....d2d09aaf3a6364c

pair of clown fish, the mrs has made that clear from the outset. i dont really know. i havent done any research on it yet.

^^^

i agree mine dig in the sand non stop, host in my goni.... gah the most frustrating fish to own... but your right... whats a tank without them.

I go to scoop up a little cup full of water to defrost the marine green fish food in... as im scooping the water, the clowns think im putting food in... what do they do.. swim into the cup.....

not bad for a 5yr old birthday present! -

IMG_1140.jpg

freshwater 4x2x2

water is a bit murky so off to the fish shop tomorrow to buy a few more things to clean that up so i can put the fish back in (currently in the esky with air stone underneath)

Edited by i_want_a_180

Indeed whats a marine tank without them. I got a black and white clown fish as well :)

Just make sure you dont get three clown fish as they will surely fight. Also make sure you put them in at the same time.

Yup lots to research on before you get into this hobby.

Be sure to join the masa forums or The reefuge forums. Plenty of great info about marine tanks.

Rudi - You want my tank? Keen to sell it man. Got few people keen.

i just found out my workmate who went on a holiday to malta loved it so much he is not comming back to australia and is moving for good, he has 2 800L tanks, custom hoods, stands, they are the shiet.... he wants to sell his house... his old monaro, his VL his guns..... i might end up getting quite alot of his things for cheap!!

Quick question to the guys with marine setups.

What do you do when you go on holiday? Like overseas for a month kind of holiday.

Train some poor family member or friend to look after it for us.

hmm, might have to scratch that idea then.... closest family is 500K away and closest friend is 1hr drive....

The joys of living in the country *sigh*

I know Dr_Josh uses an auto feeder for weekends but hes lost a heater and had a tank crash because of it.

If you go away alot its not usually worth having any sort of pets unless they can come with you

yeah we go away quite a bit including an annual holiday to see the inlaws.

It's one of the reasons we don't have pets.... fish might have been manageable but I was worried about long times away from home.

yeah no, i went to New Zealand for 2 weeks and my parents overfed my tank, i lost half my corals, i only just now have it recovered... and on Monday im flying out to the Philippines for 1 month, so when i return my tank will probably be dead!

gfs house mate over feeds the fighting fish, came home one day to see 20 pellets in the bottom of the tank :/ worried about the marine fish being there!

I might be real anal about this, but after doing a gravel swap from coral sand to normal gravel (cichlid to tropical community tank) scrubbed the sides down, vacuumed the gravel but now finding all the sediment landing in the flat spots of ornaments, Is this good bacteria Or just crap that can be vacuumed up?