Sign in to follow this  
Deep-Dish

Aquarium Chat Thread

ok champ :) i will remember room for a skimmer lol!

So basically when water evaporates over time in the tank, the water gets saltier. Fish dont like really salty water. So you top off the tank with water to keep the levels stable.

Normal drinking water contains chlorine and other bad stuff which will kill your fish. So hense why you purchase a RO/DI (Reverse Osmosis/Deionised Water) unit to purify the water before topping up the tank. Normal tap water will also cause major spiked in phosphate levels which will grow hair algea and other nesuance stuff.

Offcourse you can just get RO units alone and it will cost a lot less.... but then why skimp on something so important. I have seen it plenty of times when people spend $$$$$$ on fish and corals.. and then skimp out on a important factor to keep them alive.

^ ah ok. I think I may have missed it if someone posted a pic of it before but can you repost a pic of what the RO/DI unit looks like?

Damn prices have gone down since i bought mine a year ago.. Well i guess thats a good thing for you guys :)

sid have you got any pics of your new LED light setup? Did you make it yourself or buy as one big thing?

Bought it off a company in china..

People are still trailing Led lights for marine tanks. Its only just recently ppl are starting to use them. I have had very good growth in corals and clams under led light and so are many others.. So looks like there will be a lot better units out soon.

Only pic i have sorry: Ignore the gren algea in the tank (its all gone now :) )

IMG_2051_resize.jpg

my old lights: 250w times 2 plus 39w actinics each.. yup used up a lot of electricity.. Hense why i went with LED.

tankshot071009.jpg

spoke to fish shop today, think im gonna go 3foot tank thats 18 deep, glass the back section in with enough room for a skimmer.... im having so much success without one at the moment thats all :( and yeah a custom stand. i dont have room or tools to make my own but its only costing 220 finished for stand so ill just do it

can you buy a thing that lets you digitally set what ph level you want your water to be and it automatically administers up/down stuff, basically taking care of the ph level itself so you only have to topup the up/down powders everynow and then?

also sid, about 2/3rds the way up your tank on either side you've got 2 barrel looking things, what are they?

^^^ powerheads is my guess.

I still haven't taken the plunge to saltwater cause of lack of funds but I shall get a pic up of my nano freshwater planted tank in the next couple of days just gave it a trim so it needs some growth :)

haha thread hijack :)

yeah get some pics up dude, i have no idea what im looking at in a freshwater tank tho lol

And yeah they are powerheads, obviously there is a huge current in the ocean so we try and match that in our tanks

Yeah I got real lazy with my tanks lost a whole heap of fish in my 3ft tank and only just got it back under control but haven't added anymore fish cause i'm poor and my nano is my first try at a planted tank so could be better but will get pics up soon ;)

Yup they are powerheads :) Its used to circulate water.

Gurglar - hurry up and post pics :) heheh

Btw this is my neighbours setup:

IMG_1402_resize.jpg

Crazy uh!!

btw im selling this tank for 100 bucks if anyone is keen??

1-2.jpg

2ft by 1 by 1 i think... comes with cabinet.

I got my tank 2nd hand from someone.. and this was his setup at his peak time:

IMGP0973.jpg

ghostrun, please dont put your fighter in that bowl. its very cruel and despite what it commonly thought, fighters dont live in puddles in the wild. they dont do well in the tiny containers you see at fish shops.

Yeh I would get the fighter into a bigger tank asap. Especially cos you have so many plants in there, its just cruel.

Anyhoo, I have a 140L freshwater tank. I have 6 Black Phantom Tetras, 3 Male Guppies, and a Coral Blue Dwarf Guorami so far. I am slowly stocking it bit by bit so the Nitrogen cycle can catch up. I supplement it with Biostart etc, but I like to play it safe. My list that I am working towards is

6 Black Phantom Tetras

3 Guppies

2 Coral Blue Dwarf Guoramis

2 Angelfish

4 Otocinclus Catfish (the cool little fellas that latch onto the glass and eat algae)

3 Kuhli Loach.

I will update with a picture in a bit, and then one when its complete in a few weeks.

^^^ 2 dwarf gouramis might fight a little as they establish territories and add the oto's last once the tank has been set up for a while and everything is right as they are a pretty weak fish.

Not sure how the angels would go with the gouramis never delt with them.

I agree with what Basti said ghostrun i'm against putting fighters in small spaces just cause they can survive in something that small doesn't mean they should be kept in something that small. My fighter has a 30L tank to himself and is one of the most active fish i've seen :)

Wow loving all the salt water setups! But cant afford it =[

So this is the story

My baby brother, decided to put a spoon through the fish tank glass.. which, ended up messy

So i quickly picked up the gold fish, and.. hammer head gold fish?? :unsure: and put them in a bowl for the time being.

I couldnt be bothered getting new glass for it, so what i done was this.. :quagmire:

After that, i got the shovel, and axe, and went to the front yard, and dug a hole which had 2 levels.

Shallow and deep middle. Got some Blue plastic for the floor (keeps the water from going into the ground) cut it to size, and put pebbles and what not in there

Slowly filled with water, put the gold fish in a plastic bag, with the water that they had been sitting in, put them in the pond, and waited till the water temperature had gone the same

Took them out and put them in the pond

Havent finished yet, Need to cement the bricks around it, so i can go higher, and make a fountain.

Heres what it looks like at the moment, with the fish in

25042010202.jpg25042010203.jpg25042010204.jpg

^ nice, they might get eaten by birds or cats though so might want to make a netting to go over the top :)

one of my albino cat fish died and one of my small triangle vertical fish died.

I love my bristle nose cat fish, so awesome ^_^

must say i'm surpsied at how fast my water level goes down. will a lid help with stopping evaporation even if it doesn't seal 100%?

^^^ 2 dwarf gouramis might fight a little as they establish territories and add the oto's last once the tank has been set up for a while and everything is right as they are a pretty weak fish.

Not sure how the angels would go with the gouramis never delt with them.

I agree with what Basti said ghostrun i'm against putting fighters in small spaces just cause they can survive in something that small doesn't mean they should be kept in something that small. My fighter has a 30L tank to himself and is one of the most active fish i've seen :)

Yeh I will only get 1 Guorami, I looked into it a bit more. Shame because they are some of the best looking fish. I am getting an Altum Angel and just a regular old Angel (Koi if i can find one).

Siddr20 thats a nice tank you have going on there. Previous owners setup looked good too.

Im looking to get a saltwater setup some time soon as well.

Xgsir where are you from? Imselling a 4x2x2 with stand, hood, light and sump with plumbin for 500 Ono. It's about an hour north or Newcastle at my parents house. Pm me if keen?

^ nice, they might get eaten by birds or cats though so might want to make a netting to go over the top :)

Thanks, yeah i thought of that, but it was either i keep them in a jar, or in the bath tub, or i do that

They have been in there for about 2 weeks now, and i have cats outside and they know to stay away lol

I setup a pond out the back and used a bath tub :) but being up in north queensland the water temperature was reaching near 40 deg so built up a roof and backing with shade cloth and added a fountain to keep the water cool and worked out really well plus will stop birds getting in aswell :)

Xgsir where are you from? Imselling a 4x2x2 with stand, hood, light and sump with plumbin for 500 Ono. It's about an hour north or Newcastle at my parents house. Pm me if keen?

Sorry thats out of my budget at the moment and its too large of a setup for me. I was just looking for something small. Thanks anyway

pm me with a offer then :P i just want more money to spend on my tank haha

I setup a pond out the back and used a bath tub :) but being up in north queensland the water temperature was reaching near 40 deg so built up a roof and backing with shade cloth and added a fountain to keep the water cool and worked out really well plus will stop birds getting in aswell :)

LOL that was my original idea, to use a bath tub, but cbf digging half a metre by 1.5m?

but i thought of that idea aswell lol

plz tell me u used a tap for the fountain! that would look awesome haha

tiled-bath6.JPG?et=yNDmsDx49%2B9o0Px5E%2BOPUg&nmid=0

looks great! but with fish, and fresh water lol