Sign in to follow this  
Deep-Dish

Aquarium Chat Thread

*sigh*

after some PM's shot back and forth between myself and Siddr20, and also finding out a workmate used to work in a aquarium for 6 years and also in the past owning award winning coral tanks... im hooked... my 1st ever fishtank.. and it is going to be a marine set up. ill start with a fish only tank and see how i go.

at first i wanted something small, like a 40L tank or so, the idea of a large one was quite intimidating. but my mate pretty much made me pick up this one, due to it being easier to maintain and more stable. got it for $100 too which was a good price.

tank1h.jpg

its 24x18x20, about 140L. going to get a mate who is a cabnit maker to knock me up a display stand and hood for it.

haha i can pretty muck thank sidd for getting me into marine tanks aswell :) lets see the progress!

^^^

will do man, first things first getting a decent cabnit and hood knocked up. gonna get my mate over during the week to see wat he can do

Has anyone used Livefish.com.au, any experiences? Im in Hobart so the pickings are slim in regards to quality tropical fish stores apart from the one in New Town and even then he takes months to get fish in for you.

Ah just sent you a pm.. Should have checked here first.

well congrats on the tank purchase :)

- Ok this is what i would do first off

Purchase the following:

- heater (150W should be plenty full for your tank size)

- powerhead (maybe get one or two 2000L flow one)

- Filter (maybe even get a nano skimmer)

- Test kits (GET THIS ONE-> http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/test-kits/api-test-kits/saltwater-master-test-kit/prod_1497.html)

- Lights (t5s if you just want fish for now.. maybe something like this?? http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/florescent-light-fittings-and-accessories/t5-florescent-light-fittings-supreme-aqua/t5-aquarium-overhead-lighting-3x24w-hi-output-600-long/prod_262.html Or http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/florescent-light-fittings-and-accessories/t5-florescent-light-fittings-solarmax/t5-aquarium-light-4x39w-h/o-900-long-individual-reflectors/prod_643.html .. But see if it fits over your tank)

- RO Unit

- Two or three drums to carry water (cheap from bunnings etc). Plus you want one to store the RO water.

- Cut out a metre hose (see if you can get a clear one). Easier to see water coming out when you syphoning for a water change.

- Buy this also: http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/monitors-controllers-electronic-test-equipment/electronic-test-equipment/refractometer-1-3mag/prod_313.html

- Buy this also: http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/magnet-cleaner/gravel-cleaner/scrapers/large-mag-float/prod_1298.html

Once the tank is read to be wet (salt water)

- Purchase the natural salt water from a aquarium or come over my house and pick some up. Dont go to the beach and collect it (it will be shit water). I normally get 1000L delivered for 120 bucks.

- Sand (many choices, will pm you more details or look it up on masa forums)

- Some live rocks (get premium quality and not shitty ones)

Let it cycle for a few weeks.. DONT ADD FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Till all the water parameters are stable and correct.

ill start with a fish only tank and see how i go.

Smart move. Add corals after 6 months or so once you get the hang of everything.

Hmmm now i feel like setting up my spare tank!! damn you all

http://www.novaeuro.com/?a=produkty&opcja=show&idprod=64&idkat=2&idpodkat=13

sidd what do you think of this tank? its perfect size for me i think and it has a sump in the stand (its some queer wet/dry thing but i sussed it out at the LFS and i can pull all the egg crate stands and filter sheets out and its glassed up just like a normal sump, heaps of room for a skimmer and return pump plus whatever else i throw in there.

Can get it for about $1800 but i cant find rrp's anywhere on the net for it, it comes with a metal halide light and some other stuff (pretty shit skimmer - dymax, and 25kg of salt, a new heater, Some arolgite sand) so its a package price. thinking of geting it without the light of skimmer and getting different stuff thats better.

also i think im gonna come for a road trip to kims just after tax time, if your keen to do some LFS hopping with me?

Think i might have something better for you. Will look it up when i get home from work.

Yea let me know when you at kims next. I need to go there also :)

lol when im there next? dude im driving 5 hours to go there for a first haha, thats why i was wondering if you were keen. let me know what you have, hit me up here or straight at facebook

I've got a 36x18x18 freshwater with a Primitive [Lorent'z] Archer fish, a Black Ghost Knife fish and a Featherfin catty.

Also got a 2ft tank with and Angle fish and some cory cat's.

hey guys, im very keen on getting a tiger oscar, maybe 2. i saw some youngens in the pet shop for 20 bucks and thought great, ill take one.... she priced up a 2 foot tank to around 200 bucks for the basics... i know they grow really quick, and the 2 foot tank will most likely be just big enough for one oscar.. but i dont *really* want a tank wider than two foot, so is a bit of heigh okay, if i ended up wanting 2 ?

also what other fish are cool that i can house with a oscar that the oscar wont eat?

Oh and if anyone in vic has a setup they wanna sell, let me know!

how can u NOT want one..

Red+Tiger+Oscar.jpg

they also have a pretty tough guy reputation, and are very active. so a fun fish to watch.

hey guys, im very keen on getting a tiger oscar, maybe 2. i saw some youngens in the pet shop for 20 bucks and thought great, ill take one.... she priced up a 2 foot tank to around 200 bucks for the basics... i know they grow really quick, and the 2 foot tank will most likely be just big enough for one oscar.. but i dont *really* want a tank wider than two foot, so is a bit of heigh okay, if i ended up wanting 2 ?

also what other fish are cool that i can house with a oscar that the oscar wont eat?

Oh and if anyone in vic has a setup they wanna sell, let me know!

how can u NOT want one..

Red+Tiger+Oscar.jpg

they also have a pretty tough guy reputation, and are very active. so a fun fish to watch.

their adult size is about two feet long...

Yeah you need at least a 4 foot tank for an adult oscar and they grow quick as, also they are a dirty dirty fish and need big ass filter and alot of cleaning.

So, what would you recommend that's a bit smaller and doesn't require massive setup. Must be interesting and not too common. :)

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Crocodile%20Fish.htm

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Oddball,%20Flounder.htm

saw these two at a couple of aquariums the other day. in fact i might set up a two foot and get some myself. these arent fresh water or salt though. they are brackish which is something in between. i dunno much about that though

Can anyone tell me why my fistank keeps getting random sea snails growing in it? I keep it pretty clean, and from out of nowhere *bam* there's all these tiny snails :huh:

Can anyone tell me why my fistank keeps getting random sea snails growing in it? I keep it pretty clean, and from out of nowhere *bam* there's all these tiny snails :huh:

snails are good.. they clean ur glass and the fish use em for snacks. dont get rid of em !

Unless they are breeding like crazy. In that case, just give some away to someone.

They would have come in on plants or something you added to the tank and they are that dam pest snail they can breed with themselves so you'll have a crap load in no time.

Theres a trick to remove them you cut a piece of cucumber and put it in the tank which should lure them onto it and you can pull most of them out.

Not all fish eat them mainly only cichlids but clown loaches eat them I know that for sure but not suitable for all tanks.

Some fish like siamese fighters will eat the eggs that they lay so they will be stopped eventually, I got them in my siamese fighter tank and didn't do anything and they eventually just disappeared.

I hate snails so much they are so dirty they might clean the algae off the glass but they leave there slime trail all over it so it still looks crap.

small update, mate came round and measured up my tank, in process of this week/next week knocking me up a A-grade cabnit for about $100 he recons. post pics as soon as its done. once i get it, off to get my filter and T5 lighting and bam... some live rock and sh*t.

for my birthday in march my brother got me an axolotl (mexican walking fish) and ive since got another, tanks like 3 foot by 1.

they're pretty cool little critters, feed them live earthworms or frozen blood worm cubes and they walk/swim straight to your hand and eat from it ahaha

definately make a good addition to the room too, grab everyones interest.

small update, mate came round and measured up my tank, in process of this week/next week knocking me up a A-grade cabnit for about $100 he recons. post pics as soon as its done. once i get it, off to get my filter and T5 lighting and bam... some live rock and sh*t.

Nice , let me know how it goes.

Remember dont add any fish till the water parameters are all stable (which will take up to 3 weeks and longer). I didnt add fish for a whole month.

Update from my tank:

- Order 4 peppermint shrimps and a coral (pink zoos). Should arrive today hopefully :)

- Got my frags back from my neighbour last night. My frags last year started dieing, so put them in his tank. Totally forgot about it.. finally got it back last night :)

Got a new tank and stand tonight (thanks to del)

I am new to this so many n00b questions will be asked. i plan to stock it with natives, callop, cod, redfin etc... still undecided on what species tho.

Specs:

Aquarium is 3ft(36")L x14"D x20"H and in good condition.

Capacity is 170 Litres

Includes:

- aquarium lids (4 sepate lids inc. cut outs for power cords)

- stained timber magazine stand

- internal 1100LPH filter (25w) with rain bar

- gravel/sand vacuum-siphon

- thermometer

- assortment of rocks (very expensive to buy at Aquarium Shops)

IMG_0985-20100518.jpg

How the old owner had it set up

IMG_0765111-20100518.jpg

p.s only cost $100 :thumbsup:

nice buy... you should put marine in it tho :P

As in pretty salt water fish?

Going the fresh water option because i want to watch aggressive fish eat each other... :lol:

Also this come with the tank....

Left to right.

Filter/pump, rain bar?, thermometer... wtf am i ment to do with the clear thing on the right?