Sign in to follow this  
Deep-Dish

Aquarium Chat Thread

you sure love that yellow tang dont you? ^_^

personally i really like the look of flame angels, aquarium at auburn had one for $130 dollars or something around that price.

still waiting for my mate to get back to me with the tank stand, atleast its giving me time to save for my canister filter. looking at a Eheim normal canister that flows 300L for my 140L tank. asking about $265 at the aquarium.

See if you can purchase a nano skimmer for your tank instead. Will be worth it and should be around the same price range for sure, if not cheaper.

I would love to get a flame angel, but affraid they might nip on my coral or clam. Read somewhere they might.

Remember dont add any fish till atleast a month!! Im serious here. I cant be stressing enough lol..You have to let your tank cycle first.

^^^ don't know much about saltwater but pretty sure it is the same with freshwater and your tank DOES NOT cycle without anything in it.

You can leave it for a month with nothing in it but nothing is gonna happen until you add fish or an ammonia source.

Think I read something about using live rock to cycle the tank as all the little thing on the rock die off and provide an ammonia source.

I highly suggest that if people don't know about cycling read up on it cause its not a fun process at the beginning of setting up a tank and if you don't do it and keep an eye on things your gonna have alot of fish die.

LET YOUR TANK CYCLE sidd talks the truth here! Check your facebook

I started a tropical tank when I found an old 60L aquarium in the olds backyard. Not knowing anything I went about what I thought was right and everything thrived, plants, snails and fish. The fish and snails bred so much I was giving some away.

About 8ish years ago I upgraded to a 150L tank with a larger external filter. It was and is still going average. At first I was struggling to keep fish alive. Only about 2-3 years ago my fish have stopped kicking the bucket. Now I can keep them alive long enough I want them to start breeding.

Anyone with any ideas why I struggle to keep them alive and then why they wouldn't be breeding?

I've spent a stack on different test kits eg pH, ammonia, nitrates and all are fine. I maintain water temp around 25.

The tank mainly has platty's and tetra

Also when I get live plants they refuse to take root and collapse after around 2 weeks even if I use that liquid plant food shit.

sp180 - wish i could help, but i know nothing about freshwater. If its salt water then i could. Otherwise all i can think of is either water parameters is not right, or some species of fish arent meant to be together. Im sure the freshwater guys will help you out.

Gurglar - In salt water tanks you have live rocks which contains all the source. You let the tank cycle properly for a good month or even longer before adding any fish. DO NOT ADD FISH in straight away. I know its tempting, but you will be very dissapointed when it dies. I would add premium live rocks, sand, and salt water. Leave it at that till the tank is cycled. Offcourse add your heater, skimmers, chillers etc etc..Remember to buy quality live rocks!! Dont buy cheap ones. Also inspect each rock before buying. Last thing you want is a nasty crab. Sometimes it hard to spot them, but atleast have a look before you do purchase it.

Also DO NOT put your live rocks under cold water to clean it etc.. lol..

endlss - cool will check facebook tonight :)

hahah ok i get it i get it dont add fish right away LOL.

yeah mate been through it with me, have to cycle the tank and check water paramiters every day and make adjustments, and that it takes a month or 2 before the water paramiters are stable, and only add fish when the levels arnt fluctuating every day.

hehe ive heard about getting live rock and finding nasty mantis shrimp lurking inside.. LOL, then a few months later your fish are dead and he is punching through your fishtank LOL. :Drugs:

I started a tropical tank when I found an old 60L aquarium in the olds backyard. Not knowing anything I went about what I thought was right and everything thrived, plants, snails and fish. The fish and snails bred so much I was giving some away.

About 8ish years ago I upgraded to a 150L tank with a larger external filter. It was and is still going average. At first I was struggling to keep fish alive. Only about 2-3 years ago my fish have stopped kicking the bucket. Now I can keep them alive long enough I want them to start breeding.

Anyone with any ideas why I struggle to keep them alive and then why they wouldn't be breeding?

I've spent a stack on different test kits eg pH, ammonia, nitrates and all are fine. I maintain water temp around 25.

The tank mainly has platty's and tetra

Also when I get live plants they refuse to take root and collapse after around 2 weeks even if I use that liquid plant food shit.

How many fish are in the tank?

What types of fish?

How often you doing water changes and are you testing your water regularly? Stats should be 0 - ammonia, 0 - nitrite and a little nitrates mine sits around 40ppm.

Platies shoudl breed pretty easily if you have males and females they can have babies every 28 days but they and other fish will eat them while they are small.

Tetras and other types of fish are harder as you need to have everything perfect for them to breed like they are in the wild ph, temp etc. (tetras are egglayers by the way)

Plants could be non-aquatic ones, its not uncommon for fish stores to sell plants that aren't aquatic or you don't have enough light, right gravel, not enough ferts (I use dry ferts that I mix myself is way cheaper as you mainly pay for water in the liquid ferts)

I've only just started the live plants root and don't know to much yet and have got really lazy with everything but some plants are harder than other and need more light, more ferts and Co2.

Wow, so I put my fighter fish in with my other fish and surprisingly it hasn't attacked any. In fact my Albino Catfish is the one that swims after some of the others every now and then, strange..

Tank has

2 bristle nose catfish

1 albino catfish

1 fighter fish (dark blue)

1 thin vertial fish, light coloured (this is the one the catfish chases after, and i think the catfish is going to kill it soon :/)

Here is video of what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1we9pmR1x8

How many fish are in the tank?

What types of fish?

How often you doing water changes and are you testing your water regularly? Stats should be 0 - ammonia, 0 - nitrite and a little nitrates mine sits around 40ppm.

Platies shoudl breed pretty easily if you have males and females they can have babies every 28 days but they and other fish will eat them while they are small.

Tetras and other types of fish are harder as you need to have everything perfect for them to breed like they are in the wild ph, temp etc. (tetras are egglayers by the way)

Plants could be non-aquatic ones, its not uncommon for fish stores to sell plants that aren't aquatic or you don't have enough light, right gravel, not enough ferts (I use dry ferts that I mix myself is way cheaper as you mainly pay for water in the liquid ferts)

I've only just started the live plants root and don't know to much yet and have got really lazy with everything but some plants are harder than other and need more light, more ferts and Co2.

not what I would call heaps of fish in the tank considering how well my 60L was doing with probs 3 times as many.

without sitting there counting them, 2 neon tetras (was 10 6 months ago), 6 rummy nose tetras (had these about 6 years), 2 gold plattys, 1 red platty (was 4, 6 months ago) 5 hifin sword tails (only got them on the weekend), 2 golden snails (got them on the weekend). Thought there was more but haven't noticed any of the others I use to have.

That's something that's weird too is they mysteriously vanish. Some I scoop out with a net but eg I had 6ish hocky stick tetras at one stage and they're all gone without removing any floaters.

I was told with this canister filter to a 1/4 change of the water once a month and clean out the filter every 3 months. Depending on life the filter clean can be stretched out quite a bit.

Just tested the water then pH 7, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, dont have nitrates

not what I would call heaps of fish in the tank considering how well my 60L was doing with probs 3 times as many.

without sitting there counting them, 2 neon tetras (was 10 6 months ago), 6 rummy nose tetras (had these about 6 years), 2 gold plattys, 1 red platty (was 4, 6 months ago) 5 hifin sword tails (only got them on the weekend), 2 golden snails (got them on the weekend). Thought there was more but haven't noticed any of the others I use to have.

That's something that's weird too is they mysteriously vanish. Some I scoop out with a net but eg I had 6ish hocky stick tetras at one stage and they're all gone without removing any floaters.

I was told with this canister filter to a 1/4 change of the water once a month and clean out the filter every 3 months. Depending on life the filter clean can be stretched out quite a bit.

Just tested the water then pH 7, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, dont have nitrates

Yeah thats not alot of fish and they could die then get eatin by the time you notice them or they are jumping out if you don't have a lid.

You got told wrong about the water changes you should be changing 20% of the water once a week with a gravel vac is whats prefered to keep the tank healthy. I clean my filter when the flow starts to slow down a fair bit.

By the sounds of your stats though your tank hasn't even started cycling even though there is fish in there so it should have, what sort of test kit are you using? liquid ones are the most accurate I don't trust anything else.

Do a quick search on cycling a tank in google if you don't know what it is cause you should have some form of nitrates when the cycle is complete and I can't be stuffed typing it all :lol:

GHOSTrun - thats an albino rainbow shark, albino redtailed shark, golden shark, whatever you wanna call them they go by heaps of names and they get pretty big and get territorial and aggressive.

That vertical fish is an angel fish aswell which also get big and can get a bit aggressive as they are a type of cichlid.

Shouldn't be in the same tank and your fighter will get picked on by the others aswell as its a slow fish with long fins. Just cause they are called fighter fish doesn't mean they will kill everything its usually the other way around with them being in with neons and other things, getting there fins nipped by the quicker fish.

what test kits should i get for a freshwater tank? i have just set it up on the weekend but havent added any fish yet.

looking at keeping freshwater tropical fish. its a 70lt tank. what fish do you reccomend?

what test kits should i get for a freshwater tank? i have just set it up on the weekend but havent added any fish yet.

looking at keeping freshwater tropical fish. its a 70lt tank. what fish do you reccomend?

Get this. THIS.

http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=424&name=Aquarium%20Pharmaceuticals%20API%20Freshwater%20Master%20Test%20Kit

Doesnt have to be from that shop though haha.

Yeah thats not alot of fish and they could die then get eatin by the time you notice them or they are jumping out if you don't have a lid.

You got told wrong about the water changes you should be changing 20% of the water once a week with a gravel vac is whats prefered to keep the tank healthy. I clean my filter when the flow starts to slow down a fair bit.

By the sounds of your stats though your tank hasn't even started cycling even though there is fish in there so it should have, what sort of test kit are you using? liquid ones are the most accurate I don't trust anything else.

Do a quick search on cycling a tank in google if you don't know what it is cause you should have some form of nitrates when the cycle is complete and I can't be stuffed typing it all :lol:

I'll move up to a weekly water change see if I get anywhere

I'm using the liquid test kits. I did pick up a Nitrate test kit and last night it was sitting at only 5ppm with last water change about 3 weeks ago now.

Quick shot of my tank:

IMG_9866_resize1.jpg

Bought a new fish yesterday: Flame angel

IMG_9870resize.jpg

a ha! so you finally got one!! nice!!! were did ya get him from and how much??

still waiting for my mate to finish my cabnit, nearly done i hear, but i been waiting 2 weeks now. only + side is my camshafts and RAS kit arrived so LOL back to the car thing to keep me occuipied untill the tank is done :)

ill get pics up asap when its all done and made! gah jelous hehe i want a flame angel! :thumb:

hahhah yup finally bought it :) I bought it from Kims Aquarium for 110. Best place for fish and corals. Oh i bought a new coral too :P

Ah sweet keep me posted with your tank progress :)

sidd have i got an update for you :) new tank is really close, but just pumped out a massive re-scape of the tank and added a few pieces :) sooo hapy with it. just waiting for everything to open back up so i can take some pics :)

i got blue zoos in there, and ocean rose, a new hammer, an awesome fungia, a blue pinaple coral... so much goodness :)

pics soon

Here are a few pics of my tanks.

What it looked like previously:

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00736.jpg

work in progress:

DSC01179.jpg

My display tank at work:

002.jpg

Updates still to come.

My tank is STILL sitting here empty.... :lol:

Really need to get off my ass and do something with it!!

would like to get into it one day. always wanted an octopus or small shark, that would be interesting.

FINALLY got my cabnit made from my mate!

fishcabnit.jpg

time to get a pump!

just set this uplast weekend, got the tank for free with an eheim filter and the heater. Not finished setting it up yet.

All the electrics are playing up and i need to fix that but I'm pretty happy with it at the moment.

The ph level is pretty high so I can choose between african and native cyclids. Probably going to go african as they are more colourful and i like bright colours.

This is my first ever tank so I will probably ask for help in the future, really wanted to set it up for salt but thought I should start with an easier setup to see how I go..

002uqe.jpg

FINALLY got my cabnit made from my mate!

fishcabnit.jpg

time to get a pump!

Cabinet looks great dude :) very professional. About time you got it back lol..

I was near kims on saturday so decided to drop in and see what they had. All i wanted was some phyton diet food thingy, and i ended up buying two corals!!! Damn kims for having such nice corals.

I only just woke up (been sick all night).. So just some quick shots (nothing special). Wish i had the marco lens to take some close ups.

Cup plate (has green inner lines thru it). Hopefully you can see the green??

IMG_2713_resize.jpg

A nice monti piece:

IMG_2715_resize.jpg

IMG_2717_resize.jpg

Full Tank Shot:

IMG_2720_resize.jpg

My Clam: He has grown so much in the last year its just crazy!!

IMG_2726_resize.jpg

IMG_2735_resize.jpg

My beautiful yellow tang:

IMG_2738_resize.jpg

IMG_2736_resize.jpg

After leaving my 4x2x2 Native tank at my old house, we've decided to get a smaller one for some colour and vibrance.

Stocklist-

2x Electric Blues

2x Electric Yellows

Sidd, i'm using a FujiFilm Finepix s5800, i'm yet to find a setting that will bring up pictures clear and not so grainy. I've tried setting shutter speed and apreture but im still unsure of what setting work best. If you have any hints or tips on making half as good as photo as yours is taking i would be all ears.

:)

DSCF5328.jpg

DSCF5316.jpg

DSCF5311.jpg