Sign in to follow this  
i_want_a_180

Clutch Bleeding

hey all, ive just swapped over the slave cylinder in my car (R33), and going through the process of trying to drain the old fluid out and put new shit in.

been at it for about 2hrs now, pumping the clutch (which stays down so i have to pump with my hand) and getting nowhere fast

any tips for me (except for getting someone who knows what they are doing :P )

any help appreciated

buy a 1 man bleeder kit, makes life so much easier!

Just PM'd the DIY povpack 1 man bleeder kit instructions :P

i got a one man bleeding kit (im just a dumbass who doesnt know how to do it)

cheers 34 for the tips

update: got the fluid working now, just need to keep bleeding it till all air is out (&^% knows how much i let in the system)

makes it heaps easyer is you bleed the master cylinder first.

duuude, i had this problem on my s13 the other day. i researched it and found that everyone complains about it.

found out that removing the clutch connector which is the big block thing with big pipes inbetween the master and the slave will help you out alot.

so i tried it and and after removing the clutch connector i just did a gravity bleed and it came good straight away.

if ur car has the junction box still in the clutch line then bleed that first until theres no air and then move onto the slave.

this junction box you speak of, is it the one that comes down off the master cylinder, then into a little box looking thing, then into a thicker pipe, which one end goes off to the slave cylinder and the other end goes off to a dead end with a nipple on the end????

the secret is to undo the bleeder and let it drip through let gravity help. once it comes through tighten it off. put you bleeder kit on and pump pump pump 10 times...open/shut. until theres no air bubbles. once you get this done you'll have it done in 5mins :thumbsup:

i think that'll be my main problem, since ive let too much air into the system dicking around with tryign to get it to drain, letting gravity do its thign seems to be getting me nowhere

i mean i can get fluid out of it, but it takes about an hr for the fluid to go from being at the max point down to just under the max point

get under the car and undo the line from the master into the junction box, then remove the rubber or braided line from the junction box.

then remove the 2x 10mm bolts that hold the junction box on and throw it in the bin,

then carefully work the line from the master and turn it around to meet up to the slave cylinder line, with the hard pipe dont turn it in 1 spot, work it from up a bit higher then work your way down and around till its the correct way and lines up to lock into the bracket and do it carefully,

then join the 2 lines together. be carefull not to cross thread

bleeding will be easy as after you do this,

when i did this last weekend i just did a quick gravity bleed and it was all good.

ok bit of an update question here.

ive managed to get fluid through the whole system pumping it up from the slave cylinder (kind of a reverse bleed) - i still dont have any clutch pressure, i tried to bleed it the normal way pump pump pump (3/4 of way down do the nipple up) but i can keep doing that and im not getting any clutch pressure at all - so the pedal just falls straight to the floor.

i havent taken out that junction box as i believe that shouldnt really matter with the whole system full of brake fluid

any ideas anyone???

Are you sure you have a good replacement cylinder? Is it second hand?

Anyhow we had this problem with my S13, took ages to bleed. Is there a bleed nipple on the master cylinder? Mine had one and after much stuffing around bled it at the master and there was somehow still air in there, then it came good. Took a full bottle of fluid to get it right.

Get a mate to help out also, I tried one of those self bleed kits on my own and it didn't work for me, It was sucking air back in through the thread of the bleed nipple, had it too loose aparently but the nipple was "sloppy" in the thread when loosened so it let air back in, pump away and gettin nowhere. I still have to do away with the extra bullshit line as I swear there is a small air bubble in it, gunna get a new line made up when I get to it.

cheers for that tip man

yes it is a brand new slave cylinder

we havent bled the master so we might give that a go

I really meant is it a new master cylinder oops didn't read properly you changed the slave.

So anyway what I was gettin at is if you still have issues change the master, perhaps it's just stuffed and not pumping fluid.

the master is fine, we got it somewhat working yesterday doing the bleed of the master, then the junction, then the slave and repeat repeat repeat over and over, then the bellow of the slave started filling up with fluid (so now an oring on the slave has done so i gotta get someone out to fix that) - there was a *&^%load of air hiding in the system somewhere

but atleast we got some pressure back on the pedal

hope it goes well, remember - air rises, so start from the top of the system and work your way down. otherwise you'll be going backwards lol

have you got it sorted yet,

mine was doing the exact same thing,

not a fun job at all.

nah getting a mechanic out tommorow morn to have a look at my slave cylinder (the rubber bellow keeps filling up with fluid) so i dare say that's fubar'd so new o-rings for a new slave cylinder

no not too fun at all :)

oh so it wasnt a new slave? justswapped with a 2nd handy?

if there is fluid coming out of the boot and the piston is still located correctly then you may as well get a new one before the mechanic arrives

no no it was a brand new slave :angry::cursing:

ok so mechanic has just been - needed to replace the master cylinder as all the bleeding we had done had warn away the seal on the master

the slave when it'd blow apart, i had put the piston back in the wrong way, so thats all fine now.

all *&^ing fixed! :doh: