Sign in to follow this  
HOOMY903

When to buy a girl an expensive present

Now i have been with this chick for about a month but we knew each other for the last 2 years or so, so its like i have been with, but my dilemma is that she wants this $600 digital camera and i really wanna buy it for her, but i think its a bit too expensive, coz then i have created a standard and presents from then on have to be even better. What to do???

Edited by HOOMY903

this has been discussed extensively in the male world before.

here is the summary:

pressie.jpg

I'd say I wouldn't buy a $600 gift for a girl you been dating for a month first gift I got my girl was $80 after we had been dating for a couple of weeks on christmas.

$600 is alot of money and you don't know if this relationship is gonna last or not so i'd say don't go all out on her just yet after a year or so I started spending some decent cash on my GF.

Also if it turns into a long term relationship I don't think there are standards i've been with my girl for nearlly 4 years now and usually only spend about $300 on gifts but all depends what she wants and if I can aford it but I don't think there is a price range to stick to you could spend $500 one year on a b'day present and then $200 the next year just depends what they want.

hmmm. bare in mind that a younger population on here is going to be earning a lesser income and as such, will think that dollar values are more expensive, than someone earning a better income.

with that out of the way, if you think she's worth it and you've got the cash (and are willing obviously) then that's fine, go for it.

to me, the problem isn't how much something costs, it's that people who buy expensive gifts, usually view it as an investment (ie, so she'll stay). if you approach it from a different angle, such that "Will this gift he a good surprise/will she like it/will she get a lot of use/joy out of it?" gift giving becomes a lot more successful. it also then becomes less about what you spent and more about how much thought you put in it :)

unless she's a superficial bitch. then it's always about how much you spent :)

Don't do it. There is no way she has earned it yet!

just buy her the camera bag, and if she's nice get her the camera in say 1 year :lol:

If you think it is the right thing to do go for it... I have seen people waste money on other things... However a 600 dollar camera will be worth 2 dollars in a few years time... she wont say remember that camera you bought me... IMHO if you are going to get her something get something that does not age.. How old is she, she will probably change her mind next week and have wanted something else..

$600 seems a bit much for a month of dating... but having known her for 2 years before hand might change that.

After around 6 months of dating I spent $250 on a necklace for my ex's Christmas present. We broke up in February though, she actually offered to give it back but I would felt like a jerk taking it cause I knew she loved it, and it was ultimately my choice to end it. So yeah I still see her wearing it sometimes.

$600 seems a bit much for a month of dating... but having known her for 2 years before hand might change that.

After around 6 months of dating I spent $250 on a necklace for my ex's Christmas present. We broke up in February though, she actually offered to give it back but I would felt like a jerk taking it cause I knew she loved it, and it was ultimately my choice to end it. So yeah I still see her wearing it sometimes.

Agree with this. If she's a girl you've known for a while, then it's nothing really. I suppose it DOES depend on how old you are and how much you earn as well. If it's a big chunk of change relative to you income, might be a bit hmm as well.

I just bought a friend I've known for the same length of time something costing the same.

nfw

aggreed.

maybea couple hundred bucks.. but not 600.

that said ive been with my gf for 6 months and im on the hunt for something kickass when im in adelaide next for her...

true love= no real need for presents of admiration or affection, just spending time together should be enough.

Now i have been with this chick for about a month but we knew each other for the last 2 years or so, so its like i have been with, but my dilemma is that she wants this $600 digital camera and i really wanna buy it for her, but i think its a bit too expensive, coz then i have created a standard and presents from then on have to be even better. What to do???

I don't think that you ever create a standard for a present.

Although, like others have said, $600 is a lot this early in the relationship. I'm not sure that I'd be doing it, and she should understand.

definitely not. cos after this one present she'll have expectations. i've been caught up in this once before, never again.

hmmm. bare in mind that a younger population on here is going to be earning a lesser income and as such, will think that dollar values are more expensive, than someone earning a better income.

with that out of the way, if you think she's worth it and you've got the cash (and are willing obviously) then that's fine, go for it.

to me, the problem isn't how much something costs, it's that people who buy expensive gifts, usually view it as an investment (ie, so she'll stay). if you approach it from a different angle, such that "Will this gift he a good surprise/will she like it/will she get a lot of use/joy out of it?" gift giving becomes a lot more successful. it also then becomes less about what you spent and more about how much thought you put in it :)

unless she's a superficial bitch. then it's always about how much you spent :)

Exactly how I feel about buying gifts, money means nothing if you get them something they will truly enjoy, and that is unique. And no, I don't earn enough in a week to buy that camera. 4th year apprentice wages FTL.

$600 is a bit of money i know i have spent alot more then that on presents for ex's

Buying a good gift is great feeling, if you can afford it do it

I only read the first post, so I don't know what other suggestions have been made but if you want her to have it then go halves. When Chris and I first started dating I would buy him expensive presents but we have stopped lashing out with our money because we are saving for a house. You don't need to keep a "standard" of presents throughout a relationship. If you HAVE the money and want to spend it on her then go for it, but if you DON'T then you don't.

Last year for his birthday I bought him plane tickets home to see his family, a hoodie, tickets to the Cowboys vs Titants game in Townsville, organised all his mates to come up with us to Townsville for the game and to stay over night there, and a photo albulm of me for him. This year he has mentioned that he wants a good going out jumper and a new watch, but unless I can find a good deal or a sale, he'll only be getting one or the other.

Keep in mind, whatever you spend you wont get back. Do spend money on her because you enjoy it, not because you expect the same in return. I am sure a lot of people on this forum can tell you they spent a lot of money on their girl only to be unappreciated and dumped and they wish they had kept their money and bought something more in their price range.

You can buy a good present without having to spend a fortune. You can GIVE a good present without having to spend anything.

:)

Food for thought.

You can buy a good present without having to spend a fortune. You can GIVE a good present without having to spend anything.

B I N G O!

If you earn like a grand a week then buy it for her, but what you buy her should be in proportion with what you earn or so. After only a month as well that's a fair bit. My mate just got his gf a 6 month anniversary present, one of those pandora bracelets with liek 2 charms which cost like 100 bucks but because he went and got it by himself and decided on the charms etc that actually meant something she loved it even more.

Don't buy her something that she has specifically asked for, unless she really needs it and you want to buy her something slightly more meaningful as well.

btw if she whinges about u saying no, kick her arse to the curb.

buy her flowers and a dildo, so if she doesn't like the flowers she can go f**k herself :lol:

lol......

just give her flowers. save the big stuff for anniverseries and christmas. unless you'r a sugar daddy, but then you won't be here asking this question.

buy her flowers and a dildo, so if she doesn't like the flowers she can go f**k herself :lol:

:lol::lol:

One word answer would be NO.

Buy her a book on photography or a weekend seminar short course on photography. Wrap it nicely, use a ribbon and find a beautiful card of a teddy bear holding a flower.

1 month is way too early to spend that sort of cash on a girl. Dont even hint to her you are even thinking of buying it for her, trust me son you need to set this up right from the start.

ill personally check on the flowers idea first, some girls simply dont like flowers.