Sign in to follow this  
direct

getting fit for beep test

hi all

i have been going through the enlistment process to join the army, i was in the army a while ago and discharged due to family reasons, now i want to get back in but i've let myself go and need to get back in shape.

i've been told by the recruiting staff to get onto there 4 week training program.

week one

Monday Walk for 30-40 minutes. Push-ups. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 6 Reps. 3 times through. 2 minutes rest between sets. Sit-ups. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 6 Reps. 3 times through. 2 minutes rest between sets.

Tuesday Run for 1.5 km. Bike ride/Walk for 30-40 minutes.

Wednesday Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Monday.

Thursday Walk for 30-40 minutes.

Friday Rest day

Saturday Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Monday.

Sunday Conduct fitness test

week two

Monday Walk for 35-45 minutes. Run for 1.8 km.

Tuesday Push-ups. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 6 Reps. 3 times through. 1.45 minutes rest between sets. Sit-ups. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 6 Reps. 3 times through. 1.45 minutes rest between sets. Walk for 35-45 minutes.

Wednesday Rest day

Thursday Bike ride/Walk for 35-45 minutes. Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Tuesday.

Friday Rest day

Saturday Run for 1.8 km. Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Tuesday.

Sunday Walk for 35-45 minutes. Conduct fitness test

week three

Monday Walk for 30-40 minutes. Push-ups. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 6 Reps. 3 times through. 1.45 minutes rest between sets. Sit-ups. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 6 Reps. 3 times through. 1.45 minutes rest between sets.

Tuesday Run for 1.5 km. Bike ride/Walk for 30-40 minutes.

Wednesday Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Monday.

Thursday Bike ride/Walk for 30-40 minutes.

Friday Rest day

Saturday Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Monday.

week four

Monday Walk for 35-45 minutes. Run for 1.5 km.

Tuesday Push-ups. 12 Reps. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 3 times through. 1.45 minutes rest between sets. Sit-ups. 12 Reps. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 3 times through. 1.45 minutes rest between sets. Walk for 35-45 minutes.

Wednesday Rest day

Thursday Bike ride/Walk for 35-45 minutes. Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Tuesday.

Friday Rest day

Saturday Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Tuesday.

what do you guys think of this program?

any tips you can give me to help me get back into shape?

also, what do you guys do to keep motivated, i've tried so many times but work, family ,lifestyle always seem to get in the way and stops me from continuing.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Mate how unfit are we talking? Have you tried one to see where you're at?

i've done the PFA a few times and i never had a problem with the pushups or situps, just the beep test itself.

i did it 3 times and i averaged between 5.3 and 6.0, its more endurance that gets me, up to around level 5 i'm fine, then i start feeling it and getting sore legs and a dry mouth which makes it hard to breath.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Are you overweight or heavy? What are you weighing?

Hey mate how are ya. ok so what ive done is downloaded the beep test from the net, measured up the 20m and just run that every day, and then every second run around the block, then of course the push ups and sit ups.

i figure the easiest way to keep motivated is i hate my job and am deing to hurryup and get into the army, so i just listen to songs such as rise, or even watch videos, it G's me up and i go from there. but keeping motivated is very personal thing. Gl with everything

just do your usual PT, but yeh do what they gave you and keep doing it, practice the beeptest, you can download it off the net somewhere, play it on your ipod and have fun running like an idiot in circles =)

if your talkin unfit, im ur man, 102kg @ 5ft 8. when i was fit i was like 98kg, but def more muscles and craploads less fat :D

last beep test i did when i was fit i got to 10 or 11ish i think, now, i wouldnt be able to get passed about 6 or 7 i guess.. lol

best of luck getting back in the army direct.

i'm trying to get fit again. been following a half assed routine, but this seems more of something i'm chasing. might follow this routine see how i go, shall start monday :thumbsup:

start now if ur serious =)

atm i cbf and dont have time so meh, ill live for now..

start now if ur serious =)

atm i cbf and dont have time so meh, ill live for now..

lol...

i'm not too big, last time i weighed myself i weighed in at 85, cant remember my height but i'm not a big guy, i've got the normal beer gut that the average unfit guy would have :blush:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

In the beep test you will not be

- Walking

- Bike riding

- Doing situps

- Doing pushups

- Resting

So why do them in training for...the beep test?

Do the beep test at least once every day, twice if you're feeling good.

:thumbsup:

reminds me of highschool gym classes i made it to 6 point something and nearly died lol

So why do them in training for...the beep test?

True, I'd agree if it was only about the one beep test, but given they are wanting to get fit for the army PFA, they'll need to be able to do a certain amount of pushups and situps - not many, but you still need to train for it if you're unfit - and everyone should aim to be able to do a lot more than what's required for the initial test.

As for bike riding, it might not help with running, but it does help overall fitness, theres nothing wrong with mixing it up a bit and some people can't run every day to start with.

Just make sure that running is the main focus of your training.

i've done the PFA a few times and i never had a problem with the pushups or situps, just the beep test itself.

i did it 3 times and i averaged between 5.3 and 6.0, its more endurance that gets me, up to around level 5 i'm fine, then i start feeling it and getting sore legs and a dry mouth which makes it hard to breath.

hey i have asthma and i could only do around that too! but then i ran 5 days a week/5km each day. and 2 months later i could run a 10.0 so just keep running...push your self harder each time. luckily i had a mate whos fitter than me who i ran with and it was great cause he helping me push myself! at one stage we were running 2.5km in 7 minutes? apparently thats pretty good lol

If you have a footy / cricket oval near you i would suggest doing laps - time yourself on a conservative lap run then drop 5 / 10 seconds of each lap - pause the stopwatch at the end of each and do pushups / situps

do suicide and explosive sprinting, it helps alot with beep test and that kinda stuff

you would want something that emulates the beep test. running long distances will help, but probably not as much as doing HIIT sprints over a distance similar to the beep test distance, which i think was mentioned above as 20m. so sprint the 20m, walk back to the start and immediately sprint again. that and just keep practicing the actual beep test.

also pace yourself to the beep tests level. time it so you are just making the line each time, you wont get tired out on the earlier levels. you can pretty much do a fast walk up till level 3.

thanks for the replys guys...

the thing with the beep test is... once your past level 3ish, your not really stopping, its more of a constant run so i feel i need to work on endurance over everything...

i know with the pushups and situps, i just need to figure out what the max i can do, like pushing it to the max and then do 70% of that every night so i'm not stressing out my muscles enough to cause injury ect.

i paid for a one month gold membership at the gym today... i get to use everything under the roof, the gym, pool, the spinning classes, the courts, sauna, spa everything so i'll be spending hopefully around an hour down there every morning and every second afternoon from now on...

i'm not working atm so what else can i do with my day lol

hopefully i can sell my car this weekend and then sell off the coils and brakes so i'll have some money to sustain myself over the next 2 months...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

good luck man.

run down the closest road till you throw up.

Repeat.

maybe find someone whos interest in running with you, where abouts u live? alot easier to run and you'll be more motivated if you had a partner to train with

• Upvote 1

Alot of really bad advice here. It's late so i'll try and get back to it later. It's extremely easy to get 7.5 on a beep test with little training. We have fatty's at work who get over 10. Sure practice the beep test but you will need to do other forms of cardio aswell mainly because once you do that pathetic test you will probably never do a beep test again in your career but you will do alot of running and stomping. Don't follow that program it's for cripples.

will def wait out for your reply mate... very interested because i'm getting so much mixed advice its all overwhelming...

your ARA or ex army yeah?

thanks heaps mate, very appreciated

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

my best on the beep test is 14.9 and this was when i use to play nationals in soccer!

all we did in training is short sprints, suicide! and rarely do we actually did long distance running!

if i was you i would do a crap load of suicide and short sprints! and twice a week go for a long run, cause i dont see you running for the same speed in the beep test

Most of this has already been said but I would focus on short/mid-distance intervals such as 200's and 400's with only a fairly minimal/moderate amount of longer, slower distance.

Personal pick? Probably something like sprinting the straights and jogging the bends (on a track) or maybe 200on/200off and 400on/400off meaning running hard for 200m or 400m and then a jog recovery for 200 or 400.

Despite coming from a running background I have never done a beep test (other than in yr9) and it's still a little mysterious for me BUT it has been covered a few times on here before I believe.

luckily i had a mate whos fitter than me who i ran with and it was great cause he helping me push myself! at one stage we were running 2.5km in 7 minutes? apparently thats pretty good lol

I wasn't there, I didn't measure the track, and I don't know you, but there is no way in hell either of you ran that time. 2x 2.48min/km back to back? Ask anyone who runs and see what they think...sounds like my brothers mate telling me that his soccer team ran 5km in 15mins on the beach!

• Upvote 2

Now you know how I feel Ralph lol

• Upvote 1

Most of this has already been said but I would focus on short/mid-distance intervals such as 200's and 400's with only a fairly minimal/moderate amount of longer, slower distance.

Personal pick? Probably something like sprinting the straights and jogging the bends (on a track) or maybe 200on/200off and 400on/400off meaning running hard for 200m or 400m and then a jog recovery for 200 or 400.

Despite coming from a running background I have never done a beep test (other than in yr9) and it's still a little mysterious for me BUT it has been covered a few times on here before I believe.

luckily i had a mate whos fitter than me who i ran with and it was great cause he helping me push myself! at one stage we were running 2.5km in 7 minutes? apparently thats pretty good lol

I wasn't there, I didn't measure the track, and I don't know you, but there is no way in hell either of you ran that time. 2x 2.48min/km back to back? Ask anyone who runs and see what they think...sounds like my brothers mate telling me that his soccer team ran 5km in 15mins on the beach!

agreed! its hard enough running just ONE 2.48min/km

just busted out a beep test, scored 9.4, prob could have gone till about 10, maybe 11 but just cbf. gonna run it everyday to improve.

i need to get 8.1 for my physical so im gonna be okay :)

just busted out a beep test, scored 9.4, prob could have gone till about 10, maybe 11 but just cbf. gonna run it everyday to improve.

i need to get 8.1 for my physical so im gonna be okay :)

far out... so your still running it to improve more then that... pretty keen.

i've modified that training prgram to include a heap of swimming and weight sessions aswell, gota take advantage of all the facilitys at the leasure center including the sauna!lol :lol:

this is what i'm starting on monday, for this week i'm just doing normal gym stuff as i've started mid week.

week one

Monday - morning Walk for 30-40 minutes. Push-ups. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 6 Reps. 3 times through. 2 minutes rest between sets. Sit-ups. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 6 Reps. 3 times through. 2 minutes rest between sets.

Tuesday - morning Run for 1.5 km. afternoon Bike ride/Walk for 30-40 minutes. 30 minute weight session.

Wednesday - morning Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Monday. Swim for 30-40 minutes.

Thursday - morning Walk for 30-40 minutes. afternoon 30 minute weight session.Swim for 30-40 minutes.

Friday - Rest day. afternoon walk or easy swim for 30-40 minutes

Saturday - morning Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Monday. afternoon 30 minute weight session

Sunday - morning Conduct fitness test afternoon walk for 30-40 minutes.

week two

Monday - morning Walk for 35-45 minutes. afternoon Run for 1.8 km.

Tuesday - morning Push-ups. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 6 Reps. 3 times through. 1.45 minutes rest between sets. Sit-ups. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 6 Reps. 3 times through. 1.45 minutes rest between sets. afternoon Walk for 35-45 minutes.

Wednesday - Rest day afternoon 30 minute weight session. swim for 30-40 minutes.

Thursday - morning Bike ride/Walk for 35-45 minutes. Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Tuesday.

Friday - 30 minute weight session Rest day afternoon walk/swim for 30-40 minutes.

Saturday - morning Run for 1.8 km. Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Tuesday.

Sunday - morning Walk for 35-45 minutes. Conduct fitness test

week three

Monday - morning Walk for 30-40 minutes. Push-ups. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 6 Reps. 3 times through. 1.45 minutes rest between sets. Sit-ups. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 6 Reps. 3 times through. 1.45 minutes rest between sets.

Tuesday - morning Run for 1.5 km. afternoon Bike ride/Walk for 30-40 minutes.30 minute weight session

Wednesday - morning Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Monday. afternoon swim for 30-40 minutes.

Thursday - morning Bike ride/Walk for 30-40 minutes. afternoon swim for 30-40 minutes.

Friday - morning afternoon swim for 30-40 minutes.

Saturday - morning Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Monday.

Sunday - morning Conduct fitness test

week four

Monday - morning Walk for 35-45 minutes. afternoon Run for 1.5 km.

Tuesday - morning Push-ups. 12 Reps. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 3 times through. 1.45 minutes rest between sets. Sit-ups. 12 Reps. 10 Reps. 8 Reps. 3 times through. 1.45 minutes rest between sets. afternoon Walk for 35-45 minutes.

Wednesday - Rest day afternoon 30 minute weight session. swim for 30-40 minutes.

Thursday - Bike ride/Walk for 35-45 minutes. afternoon Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Tuesday.

Friday - morning 30 minute weight session afternoon swim for 30-40 minutes.

Saturday - morning Push-up and Sit-up routine any time of day. Refer to Tuesday. afternoon swim for 30-40 minutes.

Sunday - morning Conduct fitness test afternoon swim for 30-40 minutes.

so yeah, i've downloaded the beep test mp3 and also the situp cadencemp3, i've got them on my ipod so there there to use everyday when needed.

what you think guys?

i'm actually really looking forward to training everyday, its definatly very different to what i'm used to.

• Downvote 1

Looks pretty similar to your previous program to me. Not convinced about the 1.5hr+ of walking per week. IMO the time could be better spent doing something with greater intensity or at least playing first-person shooter games.

Looks pretty similar to your previous program to me. Not convinced about the 1.5hr+ of walking per week. IMO the time could be better spent doing something with greater intensity or at least playing first-person shooter games.

i prob should have cleared this up earlier...

i'm not just doing this to get fit so i can smash a beep test, the beep test is the minimum physical standard to join the army, i'm aiming for more overall fitness so when i go to do the beep test it wont be a problem at all.

im not in a very fit state atm so that program is more for me to get my fitness level up to s decent average standard, after that when i'm in the routine of working our everyday i can bump it up and get some intense running and weights going.