Sign in to follow this  
BillyTheCat

Suspension for 180sx

Hi guys i just wanted to know some basic information on suspension overall. I want an upgrade my in suspension and i was searching around for a bit and i just wanted to know what parts should i replace and what do you guys recommend?

Basically i have a stock 180sx atm and i aim to use it for daily along with track work later done the track. i was planning to get Coilovers as a started but what else do i need? i was searching around and sum ppl got their "upper arms, tension rod and toe rods"

i am pretty newb so yeh i don't know much about them either. Hope you guys can help out :lol:

all suspension arms are good. just setting them to your track preference is a different thing all together.

for drift,

coilovers wouldn't go astray, with preferably a decently hard spring, like a 8/6 spring rate or 10/8.

castor arms should be a must as well, and toe arms, and camber arms. basically all adjustable.

do more research on what they all achieve once adjusted.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

just chuck the coilovers on, maybe get a good swaybar too.

• Downvote 2

im in the same boat mate, im upgrading my suspension real soon. im doing exactly that - bought the coilovers and just gonna get a front whiteline swaybar and replace bushes throuout to cope with the changes.... all that other jazz ill work it out some other time when learn more about them....

i do, its not as bad as everyone cries about!

i would never run 10/8s in a street car IMO

beter then having choppys...i should know

im getting bc racing 8/6 coilovers and sway bars for now then save up some more cash and continue

street, get the hsd street spec coilovers, 6/4's im using hsd hr's 8/6's.

coilovers are a good choice, just depends on the type. ive heard good things about those tein superstreets, cheap and simple.

then probably some swaybars which are really good bang for your buck items.

then you'll need to assess whether youll need the range of adjustment offer by aftermarket arms, sure they sound good and look good on a list, but if you never intend to use their range of adjustability just get some eccentric bushes, especially for a street car.

Swaybars in my experience are a very worthwhile mod for handling.. I was about 2-3 seconds quicker around Mallala after putting in Whiteline front and rear swaybars (grip obviously, not drift, but it all helps..)

Yea definitely get coilovers then swaybars big difference to the stock suspension nice and firm, less roll not to mention how gay it looks jacked up so high with stock suspension.

well thanks for the help guys! guess my first step is to get sum coilovers then swaybars :lol:

i've been looking around and i came across Tein Superstreet i fink thats what its called. Just want to ask if this coils are worth its bucks? or are there others you guys recommended.

Also in regards to replacing bushes, is there like a observational indicator when i need to rebush them and general maintenance that i need to know when it comes to suspension.

Cheers guys! and girls ;)

Coilovers are worth the money compared to stock, but there are cheaper options. I'm just as fast around a track as guys with the same car and same power running coilovers, and all I have is second hand pedders lowered springs and shocks that I picked up off here on the cheap..

In regards to bushes, look at them to see if they are cracked/leaking at all. Some bushes are liquid filled and will leak gooey stuff when they are rooted.. my S14 needed its castor/radius rod bushes replaced cause they were noticeably leaking, but none of the others seem to be all that affected by age. Still if you have the money, replace em all, it cant hurt! :)

i got coilovers, toe rods and camber arms first.

swaybars would be next on the list.

i would go some BC or HSD coilovers have a search regarding the different brand before you buy.