Sign in to follow this  
BEV5TA

s13 Handbrake

Hey all,

even since i got my car, my handbrake has been very week, (it will roll down my drive way if its up).

ive seen most peoples s13 interior shots with their hand break higher then mine (pulled up) mine only goes this high up

dscn0521.jpg

the height of my photo is as high it can go without killing myself :P

is there a way to make it go higher? will this result in the handbrake working properly?

have you tried just tightening it? i think its as easy as tightening the screw underneath the handle, through the hole in the 'boot'. or maybe you need new rear pads?

i think the screw has already been tightened mine is the same goes about that high and still rolls down.(thats with the screw tightened too)

another way to tighten the handbrake is from the shoes.(do a search)

so next thing is how old are your brake pads?

if there new then you need to replace your handbrake lines. witch iam doing soon.

• Upvote 1

ill have a look tomorrow about that screw. Does this tighten the hand brake cable? or allow adjustments to the handbrake leaver?

I asked my mechanic to tighten the handbrake from underneath, he said he couldn't adjust as he said, i forgot why though, (asked him a while back)

Thanks again

mine used to be a bit piss weak too... it would slow the car down, but not lock the wheels up when i ripped it... just tightened the adjustment bit a turn or so an now it does.. made it harder to pull up too.. took a few test runs to get it in the right spot tho.. to much an its like braking slightly all the time.. to little an it wont lock the wheels..

i see, so that screw on the handbrake leaver is to adjust the handbrake cord?

like jap car set maybe your disc's have a glaze on them or ure pads are worn, try some break cleaner or something sure it wouldnt be anything major, you could allways go hydro :P

hehe, i wish :P

thanks for the help guys, i havent had time to tighten it yet (yeah i know its a 5sec job lol) due to study.

Ill let you guys know :D

Sorry guys,

but i tried to tighten the nut but my sockets dont reach, as the thread is too long and preventing my socket from reaching the tread.

What other methods can i do?

Sorry guys,

but i tried to tighten the nut but my sockets dont reach, as the thread is too long and preventing my socket from reaching the tread.

What other methods can i do?

take your centre consol/boot for handbrake off(so easy to get to) and then tighten it with a 9inch open ender.. i think

get a 3inch extension and your set, making it go higher will make it weaker maybe you rear handbrake pads a F**ked you could tighten it til it has like 3 clicks and if that doesn't work then yeah most likely your pads

Still have no lock guys :

I tired everything,

Think its due to the NA brakes? or they the same?

s13 s14 and s15 rear brakes are all the same standard. in all of the said models the hand brake is in the caliper not the shoes(because there are no handbrake shoes unless modified to 5 stud) the adjustment for the hand brake is a deep 10mm socket if u have adjusted that to the max then it may be worth doing rear pads/rotors unless they are ok. but when you do rear pads de-adjust the 10mm before pushing/winding the pistons back.

Are you talking about adjustments for the handbrake (like adjusting the cable from the leaver itself as mention before) or something under the car? if so where abouts is it located? sorry im still learning :)

Thank you

yes the one in the leaver is a 10mm its the only real adjustment, unless you de adjust the 10mm from inside push/wind the rear caliper pistons back in which case you would probably be worth putting pads in. then you would slowly pump the brake pedal (not to the floor) untill the pads are in contact with the rotor then adjust the cable inside, and obviously bed in the brakes.

i think you can adjust the handbrake cable under the car running next to the rear drive shafts or behind the hubs/discs i did it on mates gtir pulsar coz they dont have rear shoes aswell only pads! so i assume its the same on the silvia i'll check tomorow cant be bothered atm!

why not just get pads and also adjust the cable, on the handbrake itself, just tighten the screw where the hole is on the handbrake

These all reviews are about the Nissan Silvia that is known to be the best vehicle for use. Hence it is easy to notice assignment geek that is suitable for giving the best options and develop a lot of great strategies.