Sign in to follow this  
s14sx

Assistance on new diet

Hey guys,

Haven't been on these forums in a while, but have been reading weekly newsletters from www.ptcfrankston.com as it is a much better read with no bullshit in it at all. Straight to the point. m&m wrote me up a diet about 12 months ago for leaning up (which worked) as I dropped about 3kgs in 6 weeks while improving all my lifts on the skinny man routine. Fast forward 12 months, I've increased weight from 67kg to 75kg (161cm) after trying my first bulking cycle over the winter that didn't work too well...Squat has increased from 100kg x 2 reps to 120kg x 4 reps and bench from 80kg x 3 reps to 90kg x 5 reps. It's nothing too dramatic, but at least there has been some kind of improvement with my skyrocket in weight.

Coming up to summer, I'm looking to get lean now as you could imagine, a 8kg increase with minimal gains in lifts = fat. I've read about dropping calories and lifting heavy, but the problem I am having is with the diet that m&m wrote for me. I rememeber reading one of his newsletters where I think you mentioned that to maintain weight eat 6 meals a day, to lose weight eat 5? The program set up for me had 5 meals, but since starting working full-time I'm up at 6am - 10pm. As you can see, 5 meals will not suffice if you take into account eating 2.5-3 hours a day. What would you guys suggest to add into my diet? At the moment I have added oats in the morning and sweet potatoe mid afternoon? Are oats considered man made carbs? Sweet potatoe contain too much carbs when leaning? Don't ask me why I'm adding carbs into my diet when I am trying to lean. The structure of my day is somewhat affecting my diet regime.

m&m diet

Meal 1 - 2 scoops of WPI protein in milk with a banana

Meal 2 - Chicken breast with vegies and teaspoon of olive oil

Meal 3 - 200gm tuna with Salad/vegies teaspoon of olive oil

Meal 4 - 200gm Steak with salad/vegies

Meal 5 - 200gm of Cottage Cheese

Add 2 scoops of WPI protein after a workout

I think that was the diet he provided me.

Effectively if I ate meal 1 at 6:30am in the morning it would equate to:

1 - 6:30am

2 - 9:30am

3- 12:30pm

4 - 3:30pm

Training between 5:30-7:30pm

5 - 8:00pm

As you can see, by 4:30pm I would have eaten my steak meal already before actually training and my 8pm meal would be cottage cheese straight after a workout. I'm needing the fuel for training, but not sure where to get it from (sweet potatoe)?

Also, while on the topic of dieting, a couple of supplements that I've come across in the last 12 months that want a little bit more advice on.

What are your guys thoughts on Waxy Maize (FLUD) powder, BSN Nitrix (tablets) and CLA (tablets)? Do they actually work?

Advice?

Cheers

Dan

Hi S14SX,

Markos def knows his sh**t when it comes to training and nutrition.

I've had good results doing the following:

* eating every 2-3 hours

* having lean protein at each meal

* complex carbs (e.g. oats) for breakfast and in post workout meal

* 1 tablespoon waxy maize (better than glucose because it doesnt have the sugars) immediately after training with BCAA's and 2-3gm of Vitamin C (a great anti-oxidant, it's cheap and greatly reduces post workout soreness and fatigue IMO)

* 20 mins after training - WPI Protein Shake

* 1 hour post training - lean protein (e.g. chicken) with basmati rice

* in terms of carbs, I just give my body what it needs. The oats in the morning and post workout waxy maize and 1/2 cup basmati rice is all I need to replenish muscle glycogen.

* pre-bed protein shake - WPI/WPC with 1 tablespoon flax or micellar casein

CLA is good but so is ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) and Chromium Picolinate (helps stabilise blood sugar levels)

I didnt think you could get Nitrix in Australia because it's pure Arginine and the TGA have banned it in capsule or tablet form... so you must be getting this from the US??? ;)

If you can get a good thermogenic from the US, then do it but remember that these 'magic pills' only add another 5% and thats ONLY if your diet is in order and your bodyfat % is reasonably low.

Lots of early morning cardio using kettlebells etc.. for 20-30 mins on an empty stomach (apart from BCAAs) has made a big difference to my waistline as well.

... but it's mostly about the diet (in terms of how you look).

Hope that helps a little.

Svelte Lou is one lean *I love my mum*!

Thanks Lou. Sorry for the late reply. I picked up BCAA's and CLA today at the supplement store and going to combine with Nitrix starting next week. I actually bought it off a friend that was getting rid of it a couple months ago but never had the chance to use it as I wanted to understand a lot more about the product before putting it into my system.

In terms of BCAA's the dosage is 2 tabs a day 2 times a day with meals? Would that not diminish its affect as opposed to empty stomach? What are the best times to take it?

Also, CLA suggests 1 tab 3 times a day with meals? Same deal or best with an empty stomach?

Hopefully a combination of BCAAs, Nitrix, CLA, WPI and a decent diet will show some results.

Just an update. I finished my first bottle of nitrix and CLA the other day.

Starting weight before was 75.4kg.

Weighed myself the other day and I was down to 71.2kg,

I've lost 4.2kg with minimal loss in strength gains so at the moment semi-satisfied with the result. I'm expecting a bigger loss in strength in the next 4 weeks as I slowly drop down to around 66-67kg. Hopefully that is achievable without too much strength loss. The diet is getting stricter and the cardiovascular exercise is occurring more often with warmer weather and oztag and touch season in full swing.

Also should note that I have changed my gym program as well during the last 4 weeks and dropped gym from 4 times a week to 3 times a week with a slightly modified version of the skinny routine.

Each time I work our there is always bench, squat, deadlifts, bentover rows, chin ups and military press. Each day is different variations (straight leg, traditional, snatch), (push press etc) and i mix up the reps and sets as well with different weights. Is that advisable or should I just stick to trying to improving my lifts?

Cheers

Just an update as festive season has been in full swing since xmas eve.

I attempted the 5 lifts for the WILK calcs today.

Height - 161cm

Weight - 68.6kg

Squat - 140kg

Deadlift - 140kg

Bench - 95kg

Clean - 65kg

Clean + Overhead - 60kg

Total = 500kg

This was attempted with no assistance whatsoever as per PTC rules (no wraps, belt, chalk, no spot etc). I didn't go higher with squat simply because I didn't think I had any more to give. I failed twice on 150kg deadlift and my bench PB is 100kg, but simply on this day, couldn't hit it raw without a finger spot from a spotter.

Wilks Calc was like 380.59 or something in the calculation on the PTC website. Have no footage or evidence, but I guess it's either you believe me or not. Anyway, thought it would be good to see how I competed against everyone else. I placed 37th, guess I'm way below average but happy with the result. It

And I finish off my thread for the year with these two video clips.

Nice work, stick with it

Just another update

Height - 161cm

Weight - 72.3kg

Squat - 140kg

Deadlift - 150kg

Bench - 100kg

Clean - 70kg

Push Press - 70kg

Total - 530kg

I can't seem to squat more than 140kg without a spot.. maybe it's a mental thing, but I actually failed last time I tried it (did 130kg okay though). I can squat more reps at 100kg though since end of last year where I would be lucky to get 8 reps. I'm doing 100kg x 10 reps on 5th set.

Pulled 150kg deadlift okay, but trying to to 160kg is massive! Failed miserably

Bench - Finally nailed 100kg clean without a spot

Clean - Went up by 5kg, but nothing big although I've started incorporating cleans and presses in my workout of late.

Push press/military press - I'm not sure how the wilks score is measured and whether you have to clean the weight and then military press it (no drive from the leg) or just push press off a rack. After reading a couple of Markos's old newsletters, I noticed he tested on push press so I switched to push press and hit 70kg.

A 30kg increased in lifts compared to a 4kg increase in weight. Not sure if that is good. I'm going to lean up the from next week onwards on the '16 week' diet so hopefully I can drop to 65kg and still maintain these lifts.

Maybe I should start the PPP or AAA program...

Also I can't help but see the similarities between PTC and Defranco's gym in the New Jersey. Does anyone else notice this too? They do develop some strong people at that place!

P.s Does anyone know what areas places may sell bungee cords for resistance sprint training? I have been searching everywhere!

I would try the PPP.

I went from never sqauting before, Marko's put me on the 160 program, Im at week 7 this week

and did my 140kg x3, felt good and tried some more, hit 155kgx1 sqaut so im wrapped!.

Loving the PPP....

i enquired about them at Australian Kettlebells and he referred me to those powerbands. I'm more talking along the lines of this as I think the powerbands might be a bit too short.

Have a couple of questions in regards to training.

What are people usually eating before training if they are doing 6am sessions? I'm thinking of training in the mornings so I can have a couple nights free for sport and study. Would your body already be in a catabolic state when you wake up? I'm trying to lean up now and would also love to at least maintain the lifts I have at the moment.

How far is PTC from the Melbourne CBD? I will be down in Melbourne overnight at the end of October for work, would love to have a session that night mainly for advice/tips on lifting form if it's not too far from the city. Transport may be a problem as it will be my first time in Melbourne!

Also Markos, are you still charging for the rest of the newsletters from 100 onwards. Ive almost finished reading 93-94. Might even get my hands on the AAA and PPP program as well.

I train early in the morning as well. I have a bowl of oats beforehand.

How far is PTC from the Melbourne CBD? I will be down in Melbourne overnight at the end of October for work, would love to have a session that night mainly for advice/tips on lifting form if it's not too far from the city. Transport may be a problem as it will be my first time in Melbourne!

Also Markos, are you still charging for the rest of the newsletters from 100 onwards. Ive almost finished reading 93-94. Might even get my hands on the AAA and PPP program as well.

If you take toll roads its around 50mins. If your taking a train its going to be a little tough :(

Email Markos if you want a quick answer :)

If you look at the map http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Frankston+Station,+Victoria,+Australia&daddr=21+Stansfield+Ct,+Frankston+South+VIC+3199,+Australia&hl=en&geocode=Ffr7uf0dH3OmCCmdwBsC2nTWajFPxPad3cB-XQ%3BFeViuf0druymCCmzRm7OvQrWajFl1-G2suQH2w&mra=ls&sll=-38.18217,145.15729&sspn=0.006705,0.016426&g=21+Stansfield+Court,+Frankston+South,+Victoria,+Australia&ie=UTF8&ll=-38.164593,145.148792&spn=0.053649,0.131407&z=14

Its not close to the Frankston train station :(

You realistically need to drive there Duy. Its not walking distance from the train station.

It's Duy's bro.. not Duy...

Bluey mate, maybe you need to convince my brother to go to the gym with you. I can't convince him!

Im training lunchtimes these days as cant get there after work but next month should have more transport and be flexible, Powersports is always keen to see new faces and first sesh is free :)

Would be mad to get you and Duy out for a sesh.

for sure... guys hit up Powersports. good equipment and always keen to see new faces in there, its all very supportive. monday nights is generally squats, wednesday nights is proving to be deadlift nigth for all. its great