Sign in to follow this  
Ralph Wiggum

Running Thread v.2

This thread is obviously open to anybody of any running ability or of any running discipline (, fun-runs, short/mid/long distance, triathlon, beep test, etc.). Questions about training, news, results, opinions, anything: post it up.

Melbourne Marathon (42.2km)was run and won yesterday!

-Men: Asnake Fekadu 2:17:32 (2008 winner)

-Women: Lisa Flint 2:34:08 (13min PB and Olympic A-qualifier)

UPDATE: (times TBA)

Half Marathon (21.1km)

-Men: Clint Perrett

-Women: Hanny Alston

10km

-Men: Mark Tucker

-Women: Sarah Jamieson

Special mention to Vic water minister Tim Holding who ran 92:51 for the half-mara backed by a reported weekly mileage of 15-20km! Dunno much about him but I'd be guessing he must have had an active sporting life as the bloke is obviously fit.

Sammy Wanjiru set a new course record at Chicago marathon yesterday: 2:05.41, although a lot of people expected him to set a new WR. Aussie wheelchair racer Kurt Fearnley also won his third straight Chi-town marathon in 1:29:09. In the IAAF World Half-Mara champs Zesenary Tadese nailed a 59:35 with The Ritz (Dathan Ritzenhein) bagging a third in 60:00.

yea i noticed the old thread was broken!

was good to finally see a South Australian up there!

Edited by Aidos

Haha, thanks Aidos but those are actually the results from 'Run Melbourne' which is a completely different event run several months ago. You know what the dead giveaway was? Lisa Flint won both the mara and the 10km! Also they spelt Scott Rantall's name wrong...

who your tip ralph to win new york?

Edited by Aidos

(Note: Melb half/10km winners updated in first post)

NY? I don't know enough about the field ATM but I'd be betting on a time nearing low 2:08 and there will be less than five that go under 2:10. $130k for first place isn't a bad pay day ($200k if it's a back-to-back for Dos Santos).

Haha, there's a whole load of anger brewing re the Melb Mara 10km/5km courses being short! It's boiling over on CoolRunning and even got a mention on LetsRun in the USA: "It's not good when 25min 5kers are ANGRY!"

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/fun-runners-vent-fury-over-short-courses/2009/10/12/1255195736689.html

Absolute PoS excuse for it from the organisers who fobbed it off saying there was not much that could be done as they had to fit it into the half/full mara course and measured it on a bike. Couple of years back I had to measure up the course for a club 8km XC and I bloody walked the thing 3 times using the wheel-o-meter thingo and nobody was paying to run that event.

Thanks for starting the thread up again Ralph.

Will the 9 second mark be broken first in the 100 or the 2 minute mark in the marathon?

Cheers

Markos

I remember watching a show (i think i watched it) and it showed what theoretically, the fastest time for the 100m would be?

I honestly dont think we will see anything below a 9.4 by a "clean" runner, i just dont think the body/nervous system can go that fast.

Here's my solution: Bekele has a kid with Wanjiru's sister. Tadesse has a kid with Geb's sister. Those two kids have a kid of their own: then we might see someone capable of breaking 2hrs!

mrpasqualee: you are a CHAMP, that article is unreal! I've had this discussion with tons of people but this article really gives us all something to chew. When will the 25:30 10km and 56:00 1/2 arrive? Maybe that's the most important question as it looks as though that chicken has to hatch before a sub 2hr mara can be run.

Haha, I actually have a lot of sympathy for Kenny Bekele as I think some people actually expect it to be him but he's just one guy and this is not a goal he can achieve on his own. I saw Tergat interviewed a few years back he said "2hrs? Not in my lifetime" and at that stage he was the WR holder. Wanjiru is also an outstanding talent but honestly even these guys are miles off.

All things considered - don't hold your breath for a 2-hour time any time soon. I think it will be surprising if we see a 2:03:30 clocking in the next ten years, and maybe then it will be Bekele or Tadese.

-taken from the article.

Markos: great question, I honestly have no idea which way I'd place my money on that one. Going with my gut I'd say the 2hr marathon will fall before a sub-9 100m.

Bit of trivia but our boy Aussie Derek Clayton was the first sub 2:10er and held one of the largest WR gaps in marathon history. Clayton was also known as a crazy mileage runner and apparently clocked up over 300km per week more than once!

Apologies for the double-post but this was worth a read:

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/wellbeing/modern-man-a-wimp-anthropologist-20091016-gzu4.html

Many prehistoric Australian aboriginals could have outrun world 100 and 200 metres record holder Usain Bolt in modern conditions. Any Neanderthal woman could have beaten former bodybuilder and current California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger in an arm wrestle.

These and other eye-catching claims are detailed in a book by Australian anthropologist Peter McAllister entitled Manthropology and provocatively sub-titled The Science of the Inadequate Modern Male.

I guess it's all theory really but it is interesting

Burnie Ten (TAS) was run and won with Mark Tucker (30:01) and Lara Tamsett (32:55) taking line honours.

IMO the days of Burnie being Aus's hottest 10km are over. Times aren't that fast, the field isn't that strong, and apparently they have snubbed a few people and pee'd them off in the process. Sandown 10km is the new premier tenner as it's faster, has a much stronger field, and I understand that they go to great lengths to woo interstate runners. Plus it's much closer to my house and I get to make revving engine sounds when I'm coming down the straight each time!

Want another reason to be excited? Sammy Wanjiru and Stefano Baldini (remember him from Athens '04?) are coming on down to Melbourne for the Great Australia Run. Deena Kastor (US 15km/21.1km/mara record holder) is also coming down to battle Benita.

http://www.burnieten.com.au/results/results2009/index.asp

http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2009/10/20/104585_sport-news.html

The Zatopek Meet was held at Olympic Park in Melbourne last night. Named after the father of distance running, Emil Zatopek, the race also doubles as the Australian 10km track championships. The 10km is the final event on the schedule which also features a ton of other track and field events including 100m, 400m, 3km steeple, discus, etc.

If you've never had the chance to see track & field live then I'd encourgae you to get on down to an A-Series or Zatopek event. I dragged my wife and the old man down last year and they actually really enjoyed it to their surprise. As you can see below, even the 10km is raced down to the wire and as you are generally pretty close to the track it makes for good viewing.

10km Results

Men

1. Collis Birmingham 28:04 (Commonwealth Games 'A' qualifier)

2. Ben St Lawrence 28:05

3. Michael Shelley 28:13

Women

1. Eloise Wellings 32:19

2. Lisa Weightman 32:20.14

3. Lara Tamsett 32:20.39

great event! i travelled over from SA and i was impressed!

highlight for me was watching the womens 10k! great fun from Wellings!

but i do feel sorry for Benita Willis who had abit of a shocker!

anyone know of some good supplements to help with recovery after extreme running workouts? i herd endura recovery is pretty good?

cheers!

Good diet and carbohydrate consumption within one hour of the session should suffice. Personally I don't think there's any magic bullet in that sense.

Holy shit that is fast!!!!

Hi ralph - if your still out there lol

what do you recommend in regards to running shoes. i get shin splints wearing sh1tty thick soled cross trainers so would like to get some new shoes just for running. i hear good things about verbrams but tbh im a self conscious pussy and would prefer something that looks more normal. also i would prefer to be able to try them on before hand as opposed to buying something off the net - mainly just so i get the sizing right

are nike frees any good? i hear they are relatively thin soled

also if i remember correctly i think i remember you recommending newton shoes - but you can only buy those online?

cheers for any help

ok so 5 mins searching on cool runnings it seems nike frees arent really 'barefoot' shoes

having said that it also seems shoes wont necessarily fix my shin splints. though through my own expeeriences having a thinner soley definately helped

so ignoring all the crap i just wrote lol

ralph what shoes would you recommend/do you like?

Stupid... Go to joggers world in town (pirie st of memory) or to sports locker on mn nth rd (not foot locker). They generally have someone in there who knows there stuff. Not always though.

The reality is that it's not that much of a science. Work out whether you run neutral or pronate, try shoes from diff brands in the top 25% price bracket and run. Ignore the gimmicky ones like shox etc... In the top end of the price range all manufacturers use similar tech so focus on finding a brand that fits your foot and is comfortable. Fit and comfort are the most important factors. Each brand generally has slightly different styles of fit. Eg. NB can be quite broad shoes... Nike quite narrow...

BTW don't confuse sore shins with shin splints. It takes a lot of abuse to develop real shin splints. It's very common to get sore after running right. Sore shins don't necessarily mean shin splints.

Good luck.

Col.

thanks guys

yeah i think i might go down to joggers world for a sus, hopefully get a sales assistance that knows their shit

seems there is no real consensus on the best shoe, as you said all have their own quirks and everyone has there own personal preferences.

didnt realise that shin splints/sore shins were two different things. tbh i was a little naive as to how much there was to running lol

The reality is that it's not that much of a science. Work out whether you run neutral or pronate, try shoes from diff brands in the top 25% price bracket and run. Ignore the gimmicky ones like shox etc... In the top end of the price range all manufacturers use similar tech so focus on finding a brand that fits your foot and is comfortable. Fit and comfort are the most important factors. Each brand generally has slightly different styles of fit. Eg. NB can be quite broad shoes... Nike quite narrow...

Agreed 100%. Spot on re identifying footstrike, avoiding gimmickry, and focusing on the fit of the shoe. A $300 pair of Asics are useless if they pinch in the forefoot and make your toes numb.

Also, don't be conned into thinking that highest price = best. Highest price generally indicates the highest level of support which is suited to older, heavier or biomechanically inefficient runners. Personally I don't have any brand loyalty as all brands significantly change their models each season, but there are some models that have stood the test of time such as Nike Pegasus and Asics 20xx series and that won't break the bank.

Unfortunately there's no magic bullet for shin soreness, however some people find running on a softer surface (such as grass) to ease the pain. As per most running injuries, best bet is to let it subside on its own time before lacing up your shoes again.

Good luck and let us know how you go.