Sign in to follow this  
kralster

Mens suits

I have my g/f's sisters wedding early next month and will be needing a suit. Now i have only so far worn a suit once in my life for my year 10 formal and that was a rental.

So i ask the men of nissansilvia what style of suit do you like? flashy or plain? single or double breasted? (i think thats the term) simple black or some bright colour?

Also what should i budget for? I was guess around the 3 - 400 mark plus i'd need to get it tailored a bit.

Fire away!!

By the sounds of it you dont wear a suit very often, my advice would be dont spend to much on one. The difference between a $200 and a $400 suit isnt much, when you step into $1000+ suits thats when you start to see some real differences in quality. I had to buy a suit for a wedding and the way i saw it was i will use it for a few things weddings (once every 6 months to a year maybe) and going to the races (so getting pissed and spilling shit on it) so i spent $250 but it was reduced from $350.

Get something that isnt to over the top and can be used for multiple purposes. Just speak to the guys at the store there really helpful and are always full of suggestions.

i used to work in Roger David ( sells suits )for 18 months .

what you wanna do is go single breasted, 2 button, black, and simple.

in doing this you are giving yourself the availability to wear, any colour/style shirt and tie. without it clashing with the pinstripes of a suit, or colours.

as for budget, the suits we used to sell would range from 200- 450. depending on what materiel you wanted.

Wool, is the best for a suit, being summer, it breathes alot better, and last ALOT longer. but in saying that is more expensive. tailoring is ALWAYS cheaper if you take it to the tailor yourself. and dw if you dont no what you want because theyl be able to help you out heaps more then youd expect.

Hope thats helped :) Gl

Thanks guys! i've got the g/f coming with me to help so thats all good.

Seems as though i'm on the right track sr20na

i think it was Colorado, but a mate got a single wear suit from their, 30 bucks or something, looks alright from the outside but the linig was bright red, but either way it got him out of having to buy a whole new suit for something he was going to wear only once in the next twelve months

go down to myers and pick urself up a industrie suite, or go to a industrie retailer

ur welcome :thumbsup:

• Downvote 3

my mate just bought a suit from aldi for 75 bucks hahaha 30 for pants and 45 for the jacket...

f**k we all cracked up at him, but he is happy with it, cant complain for the money

• Downvote 2

For my brother's wedding in march this year i just went and micked up a suit (pants and jacket) for $100 from Ed Harry. Not the best quality suits but the money is good considering they've lasted me up till now and i've worn them like 5 times or so, more times for the pants.

Dumb question:

Wat is a single breasted suit and a double breasted suit?

Double breasted means the parts at the front overlap, generally means it'll be warmer. eg.

guccidbsuit.jpg

Single breasted.

suit1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Double breasted is also an older style. it went out of fashion, a few years back. will most likly make another appearance soon. but its not somthing that is fashionable every year all year.

go a single breasted single button if you want a stylish suit.

buy somthing cheap $100-200 then go take it to the tailor and spend $25-35 on taking it in so it fits alot better.

then it will look so much better! and more expensive

go down to myers and pick urself up a industrie suite, or go to a industrie retailer

most myer stuff is crap quality, i work in their IT department, and never end up shopping there :P

budget and want something that will wear well?

basic two button, single breasted suit from peter jackson, if it is marked as 700 you will pay 500, 500 pay 300. So their marked prices are more reasonable than they seem. All 100% wool, wear well, i have a couple of the 700$ ones, charcoal is good for all occasions IMO. Also, PJ adjusted my stuff to suit when i purchased it.

+1

i don't think industrie are in myers now though, they only sell out of industrie stores or david jones

for $300-400 industrie suits are the go

• Downvote 2

Çheap suits are like cheap Chinese parts for your car - junk, they don't fit well, and won't last long.

Trust me, spend a bit more and get a nice suit, then have the fit adjusted (tailored) for you personally, as most 'rack' suits are fairly generic (again - think of it like getting a body kit, even genuine ones usually need adjustments to fit perfectly).

$300-$400 is a a joke, that won't even get you a suit from Myer or David Jones, and they mainly sell crap at a huge mark up. I used to work there so I'm speaking from experience.

Herringbone sell good stuff, as do Rhodes and Beckett.

Lastly, a well styled, CLASSIC suit will NEVER go out of fashion. If you are paying $800-$1500 generally it will last you many years, provided you don't become a fatty.

• Upvote 1

best to just go into a saba store and pick up whatever suits they have on sale. you could prob get it for total of 400ish if youre lucky and it is reasonable quality. far better than half the shit that has been recommended.

Ive got a couple suits and you really can see and feel the difference in quality between the pieces of shit you buy for less than 500 compared to more than that. i was in italy recently and picked up a zegna suit for 350 euro because it was last seasons and it feels like sex when its on. also went and had a suit tailor made when i was in hong kong a few years ago which has lasted an eternity but doesnt fit that well because my body shape has changed dramatically but the quality of material used and workmanship was impressive

Lastly, a well styled, CLASSIC suit will NEVER go out of fashion. If you are paying $800-$1500 generally it will last you many years, provided you don't become a fatty.

Or until you pass out in the toilets at Distill covered in your own vomit.

*sigh*

Go with the black or dark grey single breasted 2 button approach.

KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone, by the sounds of things single breasted 2 button, simple black colour, budget around 400 and i should be set.

Going to be such a fun wedding.

There is a cheap suit brand called 'flair' available in David Jones; wool blend suits will generally cost you a lot more than what you are budgeting for. My average suit these days is around $1200 + tailoring - it seems like a lot but the difference is obvious and I wear them every damn day.

I may or may not have an expensive tie fetish also... somewhere in the vicinity of 80-100 ties at the moment...

• Downvote 1

I may or may not have an expensive tie fetish also... somewhere in the vicinity of 80-100 ties at the moment...

I own about 20 ties and wear... 2.

A white textured one and a straight black one. :lol:

Seems navy coloured suits are coming back into fashion this season as well.

Çheap suits are like cheap Chinese parts for your car - junk, they don't fit well, and won't last long.

Trust me, spend a bit more and get a nice suit, then have the fit adjusted (tailored) for you personally, as most 'rack' suits are fairly generic (again - think of it like getting a body kit, even genuine ones usually need adjustments to fit perfectly).

$300-$400 is a a joke, that won't even get you a suit from Myer or David Jones, and they mainly sell crap at a huge mark up. I used to work there so I'm speaking from experience.

Herringbone sell good stuff, as do Rhodes and Beckett.

Dude the OP is 24 and the last time he wore a suit was his year 10 formal, why on earth would you pay $800 to $1500 on a suit when by the sounds of it he wont wear for another 10 years.

I can understand its a worthwhile investment if you wear a suit on a semi regular basis but not for a one of wedding.

There is a cheap suit brand called 'flair' available in David Jones; wool blend suits will generally cost you a lot more than what you are budgeting for. My average suit these days is around $1200 + tailoring - it seems like a lot but the difference is obvious and I wear them every damn day.

I thought that the 10 I have was over the top.... My gf has a fetish for expensive ties... I only bought 2 out of 10...

My gf has a fetish

That's hot.

Yeah, she likes me to choke her while we... oh, wait, is this a PUBLIC forum??? :P

my mate just bought a suit from aldi for 75 bucks hahaha 30 for pants and 45 for the jacket...

f**k we all cracked up at him, but he is happy with it, cant complain for the money

rofl. bargain!

If you want a decent quality suit for not a bad price look at Jeff Banks, probably around $600-$900. I got one recently and there pretty good but i got a Rhodes and Beckett which is really good quality, your looking at $1000-$1300 roughly. Then the best suit i have is my Hugo Boss suit which was around $2000. Can get better than that shit right there.

+1

i don't think industrie are in myers now though, they only sell out of industrie stores or david jones

for $300-400 industrie suits are the go

hey mate dont worry about the -1 on ur name, its chappy, hes some what cut that i pointed him out as being a geek.

he has a few accounts and +1's him self a fair bit