Sign in to follow this  
J's 180

Gun Thread.

New guns aren't to bad. You could pick up a .22 for around $700. They are great beginners gun and can shoot rabbits.

have played with .22's before, they're good for shooting tins and what not, but i wouldn't want to use one on a fox or small goat. unless it was somehow point blank :P

Yeah, it depends what you are likely to shoot. You could use a .22 on a fox, but it isn't fair on the animal. They are great for rabbits, so cheap on ammo and easy to shoot.

New guns aren't to bad. You could pick up a .22 for around $700. They are great beginners gun and can shoot rabbits.

picked up my second hand .308 for 800, almost new too. bargains are out there if you are willing to wait

the m16 was "unreliable" because no one was cleaning them lol

the ak47 has more knockdown and penetration because of the 30cal projectile compared to the .22 of the 5.56. its a size thing mainly. going from the 7.62x51 to 5.56x45, id be pretty pee'd off too...

762_65g_556-tfb.jpg

7.62x51mm NATO, 6.5mm Grendel and 5.56x45mm NATO

less punch, but the 5.56 was/is more accurate and effective over longer distances. or so youtube clips tell me :P

im keen on getting my Firearms license, got as far as doing the police course (there were some weirdos in my group, i genuinely wanted to ask the cop to reject their tests :S ) but didnt follow through with the paperwork.

I also shoot left handed, which limits my rifle choice. either buy from the very limited range of 2nd hand units, or break the bank and buy new!

i'd be looking at a .223 for mainly Varmint Hunting :D

Im a lefty too but i use a right handed rifle. You get used to it though. I bought a right handed rifle and its fine.

you dont have any issues with the bolt fowling on your face/chin or anything when aiming? Been a while since i a fired the right-handed .22, can't remember it that well :P

you dont have any issues with the bolt fowling on your face/chin or anything when aiming? Been a while since i a fired the right-handed .22, can't remember it that well :P

bolt fouling on your chin when aiming? are you jay leno? lol

you dont have any issues with the bolt fowling on your face/chin or anything when aiming? Been a while since i a fired the right-handed .22, can't remember it that well tongue.gif

bolt fouling on your chin when aiming? are you jay leno? lol

LO-f**king-L!!!

Get a lever-action or pump-action rifle. Can be shot using either hand. Going to get a Browning BLR in .243 in a couple of weeks. One of the few lever-actions that use a box-magazine instead of a tubular-magazine (so you can still shoot spitzer's). I've always been a fan of lever-actions, I'm not keen on bolt-actions unfortunately. Levers give you a higher rate of fire, but they're harder to shoot from a prone position (lever can foul on the ground).

It is all personal opinion and budget really. I have only used a bolt action so my views are restricted. I'd love to give the others a crack.

dont have a license but have grown up with a .22 for rabbits and a 222/50 for roos/foxes. also had the old side by side shotty.. and my personal favourite rat/pigeon gun for shooting in sheds etc.. a .410 shotty loaded with wheat grains.

get into a bit of hand gun shooting down at the indoor firing range in the city. am pretty handy shot with a .357mag. i like the extra weight of the magnum over the glochs.

and the glocks arent heavy enough lol. nah they are light as but still weighty i reckon. always had this thought that firearms were light. but nope, always heavier than i expect them to be. thought the steyr would be light as considering its almost all plastic. lol. good fun shooting handguns at indoor range. question is do you snatch the trigger or shoot properly. i used to snatch before the army. but they taught me that that was why i wasnt doing well, i.e. 200 grouping, which is minimum, focused on not trigger snatching and it dropped to 110 and subsequently got better to a 93 grouping. so from 300m i can put all my rounds into your face. lol. dw not bragging just saying that with getting help i became a far better shot. for someone that is so interested in firearms and military weapons i was kinda ashamed at what i was doing lol.

smooth draw on the trigger. recently went for a bit of a walk before breakfast with my step fathers .22 to see if i could get some bunnies for dinner.. could barely take aim and they where off!!! so skittish at that area. yet another place near my shack me and softy could of just about got out and picked them up!

been a while since ive been shooting so id say im well outta practice!

I went shooting yesterday with a few mates. Used a 12-gauge, .22 and .223 shot a couple of roo's and some birds. There isn't many rabbits on his property. It is strange though, sometimes they can be dopey as and others they very alert and fast.

guns for show...... knives for a pro!!!!!

ok got a serious post?

i like the weight of the glocks for what they are meant for, and what i use them for.

dont have a license but have grown up with a .22 for rabbits and a 222/50 for roos/foxes. also had the old side by side shotty.. and my personal favourite rat/pigeon gun for shooting in sheds etc.. a .410 shotty loaded with wheat grains.

get into a bit of hand gun shooting down at the indoor firing range in the city. am pretty handy shot with a .357mag. i like the extra weight of the magnum over the glochs.

Only shooting I've done has been with pistols and shotguns at an indoor firing range, and I'm like you - I find the big revolvers WAAAY easier to use than the Glocks. .357mag and .44mag I'm a pretty good shot but absolutely useless with 9mm and .45.

Hell I even found I could shoot more accurately with a DE.50 than a 9mm. Don't know what was going on there.

handguns i am tossing up between a S&W mp9 a H&K USP expert cz sp01 shadow (currently the leader due to price and features) and an sti trojan 5", work I am going to outfit my guards with the H&K when i get the buisness to that level. Never been a fan of revolvers and glocks annoy me for some reason. have been looking at a barrett 99 in .416 or a barrett 98bravo in .338 lately as well for some big bore shooting (thats if i even have a chance of getting one in)

have been looking at a barrett 99 in .416 or a barrett 98bravo in .338 lately as well for some big bore shooting (thats if i even have a chance of getting one in)

:hypo::hypo::hypo:

How hard is it to get a pistol license? I've only shot pistols once and had great fun. I reckon the 9mm is a good shooting size, it is like and easy to use, but still has enough weight and kick.

guns for show...... knives for a pro!!!!!

ok got a serious post?

i like the weight of the glocks for what they are meant for, and what i use them for.

Probably wants to sell something.

Too bad off-topic posts don't count :lol:

How hard is it to get a pistol license? I've only shot pistols once and had great fun. I reckon the 9mm is a good shooting size, it is like and easy to use, but still has enough weight and kick.

for range shooting maybe, but for use in the field i would go the .40, which i prefer the weight of. plus if you get the something like the 19c they are great to fire.

There is always a mix of opinion with pistols. My mate in the army said he loved the 9mm and others have said they prefer the power of a .45.

There is always a mix of opinion with pistols. My mate in the army said he loved the 9mm and others have said they prefer the power of a .45.

of course. but i know especially in the army or another such environment where i would possibly be shooting someone i would rather not have the 9mm. as far as glocks go i would prefer the .40 over the .45 simply for the ability to hold more ammunition without using one of those dicky extended clips.

oh and by memory it's easy enough to get your pistol license, however you need to do a certain amount of shoots with a pistol club (or normal club?) a year. also technically it's illegal to take them out hunting etc. well in qld it is anyway. (pretty sure that's all of it, been a while since i looked)

essentialy right blood, its a pain in the butt, I am licenced with my security firearms but that means jack when it comes to civvie pistol so i am currently going through the pain of 6 months worth of shoots and waiting to get my licence.

*QLD only*

For a pistol licence you have to first send the Police an application for a Statement of Eligibility to Join an Approved Pistol Shooting Club, which they use to do a background check on you. When you get the all clear from the Police, you take the certificate to a Pistol Club and join as a financial member. Then you have to be a member for a minimum of 6 months during which you have to do at least 3 shoots one-on-one with a Range Officer. After this you can get a Statement of Membership from the Pistol Club and do a Safety Course. You get the certificate 1 month after the course, which you submit with your licence application. The Police process it for 1 month and you get your licence. Then, to buy a pistol, you fill out an Application for a Permit to Aquire and submit that to the Police, who give you a permit after 1 month. So from intially wanting to join to owning a pistol it takes at least 9 months (plus any delays etc). Once you have the pistol licence you have to shoot at least 3 times per financial year in a competition held by your club.

If you already have your A&B Class licence its a lot easier I understand.

Fairly similar setup to the above in SA.

Except you can't even own a gun for 6 (or 12?) months after recieving your licence.

Andyou have to shoot atleast 3 or 6 times per year per type that you are licenced for.

I haven't been for a while, need to go back to Aus and double check, and do some shoots to keep my licence. lol

essentialy right blood, its a pain in the butt, I am licenced with my security firearms but that means jack when it comes to civvie pistol so i am currently going through the pain of 6 months worth of shoots and waiting to get my licence.

it's a shit fight isn't it, i haven't bothered with my civvie license yet, actually i don't have my securty firearmes license either but have done the courses and shotgun quals as well.

the upside for me is the guy i do the tactical shoots through (once a month) is in the process (should be done already) of becoming a range officer and sorting it so that the tac shoots will count as "competition" for the purpose of the license.

really should get around to it, but not looking forward to the hassle.

oh and if you get the barret in either .416 or .338 you have to let me come have a look :humpleg:

*QLD only*

For a pistol licence you have to first send the Police an application for a Statement of Eligibility to Join an Approved Pistol Shooting Club, which they use to do a background check on you. When you get the all clear from the Police, you take the certificate to a Pistol Club and join as a financial member. Then you have to be a member for a minimum of 6 months during which you have to do at least 3 shoots one-on-one with a Range Officer. After this you can get a Statement of Membership from the Pistol Club and do a Safety Course. You get the certificate 1 month after the course, which you submit with your licence application. The Police process it for 1 month and you get your licence. Then, to buy a pistol, you fill out an Application for a Permit to Aquire and submit that to the Police, who give you a permit after 1 month. So from intially wanting to join to owning a pistol it takes at least 9 months (plus any delays etc). Once you have the pistol licence you have to shoot at least 3 times per financial year in a competition held by your club.

If you already have your A&B Class licence its a lot easier I understand.

don't you also have to shoot each caliber you have in 3 shoot a year? can't remember

hehe the 338 is almost $8000 so its definetly a save job, who did you do the shotgun quals through not many places will do them anymore (only one company i know of that still uses one and its in his patrol car)

hehe the 338 is almost $8000 so its definetly a save job, who did you do the shotgun quals through not many places will do them anymore (only one company i know of that still uses one and its in his patrol car)

did it through a training company- http://www.training-1.com/

did all my security stuff through there. great company and people. they are also the company i do the tactical shoot through and looking to do the cert 3/psd course through sometime next year.