Sign in to follow this  
Flying180

Formula 1 Discussion Topic

so the big question, who is going to be fast this season?

my guess is ferrari and mclaren.

I seriously can't pick this. It would be interesting to see how the new Cosworth engines perform though.

Mclaren, Mercedes, Red Bull, and Ferrari could all be up there.

Senna- You are dead right.. Vettel is the one to watch in the upcoming season and i would bet on a WDC somewhere in the next two.. Mark will be staying at Red Bull for 2010, and i would imagine more podiums and maybe a few more wins and there for a resigning for 2011..

Vettel or Button though i think for this years WDC.. Mcclaren will be hard to beat with the two british champs at the wheels, and ferrari will be all over the place with massa and alonso both being themselves and trying to be the top driver..

http://www.formula1....gulations/8692/

theres a link to the new rule changes for the year, what are everyones thoughts on the no refuelling during races?? also good to see they finally lost those stupid wheel covers, cant believe how many times last year i sat and watched pit crews fumble around with them..

Either way, 67 days til Friday practice in bahrain, cant wait :quagmire::quagmire::quagmire:

RED BULL FTW

The refuelling one is interesting and i'm undecided.

It could help turn the sport back to being more about the drivers and cars, than strategy. However, it could also make it less entertaining for the spectators.

i'm not a fan about the new refueling ruleno.gif

i liked the way it was. where teams would have different strategies and you would see different cars up front though out the race

I think it's a great rule. Separates the men from the boys, and shows who the real quick drivers are. Doesn't have to rely as much on strategy.

Maybe we will see drivers getting a lift with another driver like Senna hitching a ride with Mansell after he ran out of fuel.

it does not separate the men from the boys at all. i see a competitive f1 team as 60% car and 40% driver.

It still does have a bearing on it though. The fact that a re-fueling strategy has been taken out of it, driver skill is more of a factor for this years championship.

It's all down to whoever is smart enough to have some sort of aero aid that slots into the rules through some grey area, aka the cheaty defuser of 09.

It's all down to whoever is smart enough to have some sort of aero aid that slots into the rules through some grey area, aka the cheaty defuser of 09.

dry.gif

*sigh*

I really hope it's not the case....

It still does have a bearing on it though. The fact that a re-fueling strategy has been taken out of it, driver skill is more of a factor for this years championship.

It could sort the men out from the boys.

Does anyone have any info/links on what the teams really think about the new rules?

Not really, which is a shame, because I'd really like to know what they think. I get all my info from either Eurosport, ESPNF1 (formally F1 live) and Formula1.com

Was thinking today at work, I hope that this year, because refuelling isn't allowed, that we see the cars throwing sparks from bottoming out again.

Oh, and how about Ralf Schumacher possibly coming out of retirement as well?

Personally, he never really impressed me but it's interested none the less!

http://www.foxsports...5018892,00.html

Ralf Schumacher, brother of Michael, considering Formula One comeback

From correspondents in Berlin, Germany

December 30, 2009 Michael Schumacher's younger brother Ralf Schumacher has revealed he too is considering a return to Formula One.

Ralf, who competed from 1997 to 2007, said he had received an offer from a team to compete in the 2010 world championship.

"My passion for F1 is still burning exactly like my brother described when announcing his return," said the 34-year-old Schumacher.

Michael Schumacher announced his return to F1 last week by signing a three-year deal with Mercedes.

"I'll only seriously consider a return if it's for a competitive stable," added the younger Schumacher, who won six Grand Prix races during his career with Jordan (1997-98), Williams (1999-2004) and Toyota (2005-07).

Ralf Schumacher could interest the Renault and Toro Rosso teams, who are on the look out for a second driver.

Agence France-Presse

The Ralf Schumacher return is bullshit, it was made up by some F1 journo's. They often make up ridiculous stories like this to see which cut-and-paste news sites (who don't do their own research etc) will run with it and report it as fact. Quite hilarious! They also made up a rumour that Nelson Piquet Sr. had bought 15% of Campos Meta so Jr. could get a 2010 seat.

http://runoffarea.co...-silly-rumours/

Ecclestone is right though, Sebastien Vettel will be a world champion sooner rather than later IMO. That guy is just incredible behind the wheel, especially at his age, he seems a pretty mature driver. It's a little unfortunate for Mark though, which I believe may have him looking for a seat elsewhere next year, as he will be out of contact with Red Bull.

why will webber be looking for a seat elsewhere?? would he not just be the number 2 driver for red bull.

The rumour mill seems to think that Kimi going rallying on Red Bull's dollar is a back door to him joining Red Bull in 2011 (both Webber and Vettel's contracts are up). A Vettel-Raikonnen pairing in a Newey Red Bull would be a formidable team.

Senna- You are dead right.. Vettel is the one to watch in the upcoming season and i would bet on a WDC somewhere in the next two.. Mark will be staying at Red Bull for 2010, and i would imagine more podiums and maybe a few more wins and there for a resigning for 2011..

Vettel or Button though i think for this years WDC.. Mcclaren will be hard to beat with the two british champs at the wheels, and ferrari will be all over the place with massa and alonso both being themselves and trying to be the top driver..

theres a link to the new rule changes for the year, what are everyones thoughts on the no refuelling during races?? also good to see they finally lost those stupid wheel covers, cant believe how many times last year i sat and watched pit crews fumble around with them..

Either way, 67 days til Friday practice in bahrain, cant wait quagmire.gifquagmire.gifquagmire.gif

RED BULL FTW

It could help turn the sport back to being more about the drivers and cars, than strategy. However, it could also make it less entertaining for the spectators.

I'll reserve judgement on the refuelling ban until after a few races, but on paper it seems like a good idea. Drivers who can warm up the tyres in qualie (i.e. are hard on the tyres) will be up the front of the grid, but have to stop sooner/more often for new tyres as they chew them up. Conversley those who are easy on the tyres (button et al) will be at the back of the grid (relatively) and be able to gain spots throughout the race... theoretically... Last season was annoying where the majority of position changes occured in the pit lane!

In further news, Campos Meta is up for sale - Adrian Campos denies it, but team members have admitted the team doesn't have the budget: http://www.planet-f1...5854237,00.html. USF1 doesn't seem to have much substance either really. They have a great PR machine in Peter Windsor, but no chassis, no signed drivers, all they've shown the public is some generic CAD drawings of a car with no suspension, a small (empty) autoclave and some crude CFD screenshots. Bernie doesn't think Campos or USF1 will be on the grid in Bahrain: http://formula-1.upd...-fold/view.html

Also, let's not forget the other new team: Scuderia Torro Rosso. This is the first season they have had to design and construct their own chassis completely, being a customer of RBR up until the '09 season. Will be interesting to see how they go.

Driver's for 2010 (guesstimates in italics):

Mercedes: Schumacher - Rosberg

Red Bull: Vettel - Webber

McLaren: Hamilton - Button

Ferrari: Alonso - Massa

Sauber: De la Rosa - Kobayashi

Renault: Kubica - Heidfeld

Williams: Barichello - Hülkenberg

Toro Rosso: Buemi - Alguersuari

Force India: Sutil - Liuzzi

Virgin: Glock - Di Grassi

Lotus: Trulli - Kovalainen

Campos: No Idea - Senna

USF1: Villeneuve - Lopez

Going to be a great season! Got my tickets for Melbourne, Front Row Jones Stand yeah!!!

December 30, 2009 Michael Schumacher's younger brother Ralf Schumacher has revealed he too is considering a return to Formula One.

Ralf, who competed from 1997 to 2007, said he had received an offer from a team to compete in the 2010 world championship.

"My passion for F1 is still burning exactly like my brother described when announcing his return," said the 34-year-old Schumacher.

Michael Schumacher announced his return to F1 last week by signing a three-year deal with Mercedes.

"I'll only seriously consider a return if it's for a competitive stable," added the younger Schumacher, who won six Grand Prix races during his career with Jordan (1997-98), Williams (1999-2004) and Toyota (2005-07).

Ralf Schumacher could interest the Renault and Toro Rosso teams, who are on the look out for a second driver.

Agence France-Presse

The Ralf Schumacher return is bullshit, it was made up by some F1 journo's. They often make up ridiculous stories like this to see which cut-and-paste news sites (who don't do their own research etc) will run with it and report it as fact. Quite hilarious! They also made up a rumour that Nelson Piquet Sr. had bought 15% of Campos Meta so Jr. could get a 2010 seat.

I did not know that... Mega LOL's :lol:

Agence France-Presse

Ecclestone is right though, Sebastien Vettel will be a world champion sooner rather than later IMO. That guy is just incredible behind the wheel, especially at his age, he seems a pretty mature driver. It's a little unfortunate for Mark though, which I believe may have him looking for a seat elsewhere next year, as he will be out of contact with Red Bull.

why will webber be looking for a seat elsewhere?? would he not just be the number 2 driver for red bull.

The rumour mill seems to think that Kimi going rallying on Red Bull's dollar is a back door to him joining Red Bull in 2011 (both Webber and Vettel's contracts are up). A Vettel-Raikonnen pairing in a Newey Red Bull would be a formidable team.

Either way, 67 days til Friday practice in bahrain, cant wait quagmire.gifquagmire.gifquagmire.gif

RED BULL FTW

I'll reserve judgement on the refuelling ban until after a few races, but on paper it seems like a good idea. Drivers who can warm up the tyres in qualie (i.e. are hard on the tyres) will be up the front of the grid, but have to stop sooner/more often for new tyres as they chew them up. Conversley those who are easy on the tyres (button et al) will be at the back of the grid (relatively) and be able to gain spots throughout the race... theoretically... Last season was annoying where the majority of position changes occured in the pit lane!

In further news, Campos Meta is up for sale - Adrian Campos denies it, but team members have admitted the team doesn't have the budget: http://www.planet-f1...5854237,00.html. USF1 doesn't seem to have much substance either really. They have a great PR machine in Peter Windsor, but no chassis, no signed drivers, all they've shown the public is some generic CAD drawings of a car with no suspension, a small (empty) autoclave and some crude CFD screenshots. Bernie doesn't think Campos or USF1 will be on the grid in Bahrain: http://formula-1.upd...-fold/view.html

Also, let's not forget the other new team: Scuderia Torro Rosso. This is the first season they have had to design and construct their own chassis completely, being a customer of RBR up until the '09 season. Will be interesting to see how they go.

Driver's for 2010 (guesstimates in italics):

Mercedes: Schumacher - Rosberg

Red Bull: Vettel - Webber

McLaren: Hamilton - Button

Ferrari: Alonso - Massa

Sauber: De la Rosa - Kobayashi

Renault: Kubica - Heidfeld

Williams: Barichello - Hülkenberg

Toro Rosso: Buemi - Alguersuari

Force India: Sutil - Liuzzi

Virgin: Glock - Di Grassi

Lotus: Trulli - Kovalainen

Campos: No Idea - Senna

USF1: Villeneuve - Lopez

Going to be a great season! Got my tickets for Melbourne, Front Row Jones Stand yeah!!!

Same here mate! I'm in section A. Just waiting for the ticket to arrive in the mail.

Hey guys not sure if this is the right section, feel free to move it.

The missus and i are thinking of heading to watch the melbourne gp, just wondering what the general admmision tickets are like for viewing?

I mean can you still get a decent veiw of parts of the track? or is it more like can't see much? (just hear it)

Googled it but cant find much apart from the usual pr bull.

Some real world experience would be nice, cheers

The new Virgin Racing team, one of four new entrants to the 2010 FIA Formula One World Championship, have published details of their debut race car - the Cosworth-powered VR-01, which has been designed entirely in the digital domain using CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics).

Link on F1.com - http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2010/2/10395.html

have a look guys, the first car ever to be completely digitally designed and it will be running the new cosworth engine.. We all know about glock :rolleyes: , but i think it will be interesting to see how Di Grassi goes now racing in F1.. he had some good success in GP2 the last couple of years so maybe virgin will be able to string it all together and get a podium or two..

Im still backing Vettel this year, but hopefully Team Virgin get a few podiums as well..

30 days guys.. were getting cloooooserrrr.... :hypo: :hypo: :hypo: :hypo:

why the hell isn't there drift demonstration at f1 melbourne? I'm thinking of going that would've been sick

Hey guys not sure if this is the right section, feel free to move it.

The missus and i are thinking of heading to watch the melbourne gp, just wondering what the general admmision tickets are like for viewing?

I mean can you still get a decent veiw of parts of the track? or is it more like can't see much? (just hear it)

Googled it but cant find much apart from the usual pr bull.

Some real world experience would be nice, cheers

There are places where you can get good views, such as Brocky's hill, which is located I think near Gate 8 (near Queens Rd/Golf Course), however you need to get there pretty early and camp out all day to make sure you get a good view. After several years of watching it in GA, last year I bit the bullet and bought a ticket for the Prost stand (last corner coming onto the straight). Loved it so much, that this year I bought a ticket for the Jones stand, im in the first row on the first corner! Should be awesome!

why the hell isn't there drift demonstration at f1 melbourne? I'm thinking of going that would've been sick

Because drift is boring compared to the huge spectacle of Formula 1 :P

I reckon it will take them a few SEASONS, because they won't have much time to do any testing.

Fixed

Not long til the start of the season now!!

And two teams still don't have cars! USF1 has all but given up by the looks of things. They've officially asked the FIA to skip the first three races and join the grid in China. And Campos Meta 1 is for sale, have no car and no money. Campos have a chassis, which they paid Dallara to manufacture, but no money to finish the car. USF1 don't have much of anything by the looks of it. I think that Stefan GP (the Serbian team owned by Zoran Stefanovich) that bought all of Toyota's chassis', engines and IP (as well as a few ex-Toyota F1 staff) might get USF1's grid slot. At least they have two cars, a signed driver (Kazuki Nakajima) and the budget to make a whole season. They've even been testing, even without an entry for 2010!

Who knows what will happen to Campos. Maybe USF1 can buy their chassis from Dallara, and slap together two cars. They'll have to hurry, apparently Jose Lopez is looking elsewhere for a drive this season (and he'll take his $8 million in sponsorship with him).

So far we only have two of the four new teams with cars - Virgin and Lotus, which I must say look pretty impressive in testing for brand new squads. The fact that the Virgin V-01 was designed completely using CFD (no wind tunnel) and is still of comporable pace to the Lotus is quite suprising.

Both the Red Bull and the McLaren look like front-runners based on testing times. Both fairly reliable too. The Schumacher Mercedes doesn't look to be the pace setter like it was last season in Brawn trim though. I hope for his sake the team is sand-bagging their times...

Bring on Bahrain! At least we have a 22 car grid at the moment.

That's pretty sad about the USF1 team, they've been in 'planning' for YEARS. They obviously didn't plan too well though :S

Can't wait for the season to get underway I've got my daypass for race day of round 2 in melbourne :D

Couple of things, How do we all feel massa will perform given his sickening accident.

And Ferrari.. Back on the map? with 2 very capable drivers are the cars up to scratch?

But vettel looking the goods i feel.

I can see where I am sitting from my balcony! Going to be an awesome weekend.

Ferrari are definitely back on the map, they have shown constant pace throughout pre-season testing, and Massa will be perfectly fine. I think he has well and truly recovered from his accident.

But yeah, the big 4 (McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes GP) will be up the front of the field for the first few races at least, but I'm thinking Sauber might be a bit of a surprise package.

Also, interesting to note that USF1 have finally pulled the pin on their 2010 campaign, while Campos have been renamed 'Hispania' and will be unveiling their 2010 livery soon. As much as I want to see Bruno Senna race, I find it disheartening that he will be one of the back markers, and quite a few seconds off the pace. Will be a shame, because with his surname, the poor bloke has so much expectation to live up to. Good luck to him regardless.

ARF I don't think Stefan GP were able to do any testing, because they were unable to get any tyres (due to the FIA). Be interesting if they do gain entry though, as I could see a couple of lawsuits going the way of the FIA from Lola and Prodrive.

And finally, Go McLaren!

have not been this excited for an F1 season in a very long time! such strong driver combinations, coupled with new teams, this is shaping up to be an awesome season. very curious to see how schuey goes, arguably one of the best drivers of all time, see if he can still mix it with the new generation.

GO MACLAREN

have not been this excited for an F1 season in a very long time! such strong driver combinations, coupled with new teams, this is shaping up to be an awesome season. very curious to see how schuey goes, arguably one of the best drivers of all time, see if he can still mix it with the new generation.

GO MACLAREN

yeps.. i feel exactly the same bro.. i'v had a pretty good idea of teams chances going in to the last couple of seasons, but as stated above this years big four will definately be mixing things up.. i'll certainly be cheering Webber on all the way, but I think the McClaren boys will be incredibly strong, and as button was so strong last year, it would be hard to imagine not having him on the podium pretty consistently.. the same could also be said for Hamilton, so it will be a good mix on podiums this year..

I also have high hopes for the boys from Virgin Racing (glock :rolleyes: and Di Grazzi), as their car that has never seen a wind tunnel in its life will be out rolling around on a racetrack in its first season, and hopefully they can grab a podium or two.. see glock interview below..

http://www.formula1.com/news/interviews/2010/3/10479.html

Vettel for Drivers Championship, Ferrari for Manufacturers Championship, and hopefully :yes: Webber can grab a few more race wins.. Virgin on the podium twice, Branson will cry tears of joy.. :cry:

*i didnt mention schuey because frankly i think he's not gonna be able to match it with the current generation of drivers.. he may qualify well, but he's old enough to be Vettels dad.. i just dont think he'll hold up the whole race..

GO RED BULL!!

I can see where I am sitting from my balcony! Going to be an awesome weekend.

Ferrari are definitely back on the map, they have shown constant pace throughout pre-season testing, and Massa will be perfectly fine. I think he has well and truly recovered from his accident.

But yeah, the big 4 (McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull and Mercedes GP) will be up the front of the field for the first few races at least, but I'm thinking Sauber might be a bit of a surprise package.

Also, interesting to note that USF1 have finally pulled the pin on their 2010 campaign, while Campos have been renamed 'Hispania' and will be unveiling their 2010 livery soon. As much as I want to see Bruno Senna race, I find it disheartening that he will be one of the back markers, and quite a few seconds off the pace. Will be a shame, because with his surname, the poor bloke has so much expectation to live up to. Good luck to him regardless.

ARF I don't think Stefan GP were able to do any testing, because they were unable to get any tyres (due to the FIA). Be interesting if they do gain entry though, as I could see a couple of lawsuits going the way of the FIA from Lola and Prodrive.

And finally, Go McLaren!

Yeah good point lol! Because they're not an official entrant, Bridgestone aren't allowed to give them tyres (exclusive contract).

limegreen, I don't really see Virgin getting a podium for a long time, unless they have some epic updates throughout the season. They're a new squad with a car that was 5.7 seconds per lap off the pace (based on best lap times) at the Barcelona testing. Glock and Di Grassi came in 21st and 22nd respectively based on best lap time. That sort of gap may aswell be a year in F1. That, and the top ten times are separated by only 0.4 seconds / lap.

Having said that, I am impressed that they have similar pace to the Lotus cars, even though they didn't use a wind tunnel. I hope they do prove my pessimism wrong, I'm a big fan of Virgin Racing.

As for Ferrari, they are definately back in the top end of town, near the pointy end of testing times for all of the test sessions. I think McLaren, Ferrari, Red Bull, Mercedes GP (in that order) are the teams to beat!

Well Stefan didn't get approved for the spot. So now there are only 12 teams on this years grid, providint HRT F1 (Hispania formally Campos) make it.

Well Stefan didn't get approved for the spot. So now there are only 12 teams on this years grid, providint HRT F1 (Hispania formally Campos) make it.

Not a bad grid considering what we were looking at towards the end of last season hey. 24 cars should be enough to spice things up. I reckon it's going to be a great season, so many great drivers in great cars, and the new teams shaking things up! Hopefully HRT make it (Holden Racing have an F1 team...?! laugh.gif )