Sign in to follow this  
NoFatChicks

I NEED ADVICE ON CHANGING MY SPRINGS!

Hey guys,

Ive got a 92 silvia and im changing the springs all round this weekend..

50% of the people ive talked to told me that u need a rattle gun to drop the front struts coz the nuts on the strut tower are reeeeal tight (but i helped my mate with his real springs on his sss last weekend and i was able to take his rear struts off with a spanner confused.gif )

Also ive knowtised that when i took the put the main strut nut back onto his strut the centre shaft kept on free spinning, but at the top above the shread it was suare so i simply hend onto it with a vice grip as i tightened the main strut.

But im not too sure if mine will have the same squared off end, and if it does ill have to use a spanner coz if i use a ratchet i wont be able to hold the top with a vicegrip???huh.gif

Also when im taking out my front struts will they drop out just as easy as the rear? coz i heard u have to disconnect brake lines!? wtf1.gif

My mates an apprentice mechanic but hes a bit of a shit talker so i dont know what to believe lol i know i might be better off getting a rattle gun but then ill need to find some one with an air compressor so ill need to know if it can be done and how to do it properly.

Cheers guy, im hoping to hear back from you's! thumb.gif

if the cars on the ground with the wheel on etc. You can crack off that top strut bolt with a ratchet and a breaker bar. you just need to give it a few sharp pulls and it will crack off.

From personal experience with my s14...

-I didnt need a rattle gun, just used socket-set + spanners

-From memory you hold the top of the shaft with a 10mm spanner and then use another spanner to loose the nut below

-I found the front to be just as easy as the rear (maybe easier) and i didnt have to remove brake lines

Hope that helps

with that middle nut just loosen it (dont remove) when the strut is sill on the car. the 3 nuts holding the whole strut to the car will hold it in place for you. heaps easier than removing the whole unit and using vice grips.

+1 to coilovers, just put mine in today and f**k they are awesome!

yeah coilovers are the way to go (Y)

no need for a rattle gun, if they turn out to be extremely hard to crack (like mine were) just soak with DW40 then chuck a crow bar on the end of the spanner and use extra leverage. (Y) also a heavy duty socket can really take a beating so if need be that might be the way to go :)

also, shouldnt need to remove brake lines? :S