Sign in to follow this  
Nissan-Silvia-S13

Matte Black 5 Spoke Rims

Basically, I want a set of (refer to title).

Doesn't seem to be heaps to be choose from.

Was just wondering if I could get some suggestions.

In a perfect world I'd have some 17" LMGT4s, but, this isn't that world as:

A - They're above my budget, and

B - They only come in 5 stud

C - The matte black ones are fairly uncommon I think

Anyway, details.

I have a '92 S13

Got it a few months ago, and I'm on my L's still (getting the hours up is a bit of a bitch)

It came with white/polished lip 18" Tenzo R Passion 5s (not my taste, in look or brand =/)

Now, from what I know, the 18s aren't legal (but it has low profile tyres so correct me if I'm wrong, with the whole diameter being bigger than standard laws and whatever), and I'd rather avoid getting defectificated before I'm even solo driving

I've had a good look around, and landed on the Lenso D1Rs, don't look too bad, and don't seem overly costly

Just thought I'd get some opinions on what's out there, what's good, what's good value etc etc etc.

Requirements:

- 5 Spoke Design

- Matte Black

- 17"

- Width of 7" to 8"

- Whatever offset fits a standard S13 (never really looked into it)

One other question

Is it worth getting thinner rims for the front?

Or is it not really even worth going there for a daily driver?

Examples of what I'm looking for:

Nismo LMGT4:

HTMN0X_01_500.jpg

Lenso D1R:

d1r_black_inc_wide.jpg

Thanks in advance for any input :)

im gonna jump on the spray can bandwagon before it even sets off, also you really want at least 8" wide and nothing higher than +25 offset

yeah i've thought of it as an option

figured it'd be better if i can get it the colour i want as standard, n get a better finish etc

n pardon the noobness, but i just figured keeping the width down would save on tyres a little bit, but is 8" a generally minimum way to go?

a bit more searching, any good looking at these?

Enkei EV5:

ev5_hyper.jpg

and then there's drift teks

i don't mind em

look pretty mean

would suit an s13?

seen pics of em on

but ive seen people rag on them

thoughts?

for efficiency's sake:

drift%20tek%20black-400.jpg

i'm thinking i'll go gloss black

matches the car

found em (teks) going for $1700 (17/8) with tyres on an aus site

is that a decent price for these?

Edited by Figure.09

If your worried about cutting costs dont get aftermarket rims.

Do it right the first time or you will regret it later on.

Drift teks are alright. Check out what tyres are on the wheels when you get the package. Probably a low quality tyre. Find out how much it would cost to upgrade to decent tyres.

Between 1400-1900 seems to be the going rate for new drift teks with tyres.

some information that will be useful to you when purchasing wheels –

· lower the offset the better, negative will be better on that

· don’t rely on finding 4 stud wheels as most 4 stud wheels are shit (only rarely do you get good 4stud wheels). 5 stud conversion is cheaper than you think

· 17s will handle better than 18’s, 19’s etc

· The laws on wheel sizes have mostly been abolished I think you now cannot have a rolling diameter 14 inchs more than stock or something like that I just heard it in passing

· Don’t try and find matte wheels, just buy wheels you like and spray them with cans, or get them powder coated which is also a cheap option.

· Budget in good tyres

· Don’t be afraid to get down and dirty with a hammer, block and pole on those guards/inner arch seems

· Plan ahead for any suspension bits you’ll be chucking in that will alter the fitment of the wheel such as adjustable arms, coilovers, height etc

· Read through the offset calculation threads, pm blingcommander for offset advice

Your comparing Nismo LMGT4's to Lenso's..? no.giflaugh.gif

I am surprised you asked...

Nismo LMGT4 gets my vote.

LMGT4's come in Black / Bronze / Silver / Gun Metal Grey / White.

A nice 1 piece forged wheel = Strong / Light / Top Quality.

Will look great on your S13.

If you can't afford LMGT4's get Drift Tecks / URAS NS 01 wheels.

They are copies of Nismo LMGT4's.

also, wider tyres aren't always more expensive. a 235/45r17 will usually be cheap as chips due to being so common, 215/45r17's are usually a little more costly :) however, u usually cant run a 235/45r17 on the front with stock suspension in an s13 (the tyre will hit the spring seat).

offset wise, 17x9 +10 ish will sit pretty good on the rear (with little guard roll and pretty legally), the fronts about an 8" wide with about +15 ish will sit nicely. go for more aggro offset (ie, lower or negative) if you want the wheels to hang out the guards. Looks tougher, but usually more costly, more guard work involved and not totally legal.

oh, and lenso's get my vote for cost vs practicality! have fun!

i dont know if i'd say copies of lmgt4's.. but similar design. if you dont have cash look for some lmgt2's, old school

suraido user_popup.png

If your worried about cutting costs dont get aftermarket rims.

Do it right the first time or you will regret it later on.

Drift teks are alright. Check out what tyres are on the wheels when you get the package. Probably a low quality tyre. Find out how much it would cost to upgrade to decent tyres.

Between 1400-1900 seems to be the going rate for new drift teks with tyres.

yeah, it's why i'm being pretty picky with it n that

but i can't justify the pretty high price for lmgt4s really, so i'm happy getting something similar

yeah i figured, coz it's about 500ish for the tyres alone assuming the wheels work out at about 1200, so yeah i thought about whether or not the rubber would be crappy

could you give me a link or two to aus places with the cheaper prices by any chance? be greatly appreciated

hghent user_popup.png

enkei's wont be cheap

yeah not too keen on them now anyway

fyjosh user_popup.png

some information that will be useful to you when purchasing wheels –

· lower the offset the better, negative will be better on that

what would ya recommend for a fairly decent price/performance trade off? just a general idea

· don't rely on finding 4 stud wheels as most 4 stud wheels are shit (only rarely do you get good 4stud wheels). 5 stud conversion is cheaper than you think

yeah ive found that it's hard to find any 4 studs that aren't a bit low end on either design, brand or both

· 17s will handle better than 18's, 19's etc

is that coz they're better suited to s13s? or is that just a general rule in general?

in terms of aesthetics, 18s look too big on them too me

sorta distorts how you view the car overall, makes it seem larger than it actually is

so maybe it translates to actual performance :P

· The laws on wheel sizes have mostly been abolished I think you now cannot have a rolling diameter 14 inchs more than stock or something like that I just heard it in passing

14? lol

yeah might try to find out if what i have now is actually illegal or not. the tyres a pretty thin, so they could be alright

· Don't try and find matte wheels, just buy wheels you like and spray them with cans, or get them powder coated which is also a cheap option.

mmm kinda thinkin ill ditch the matte idea now anyway

just as an example, i like the look of the teks black, n like i said itll prob suit the car more anyway, gloss with gloss

· Budget in good tyres

yeah wanna make sure i get decent ones

no point trying to increase performance if the thing that actuall contacts the road isnt translating properly

· Don't be afraid to get down and dirty with a hammer, block and pole on those guards/inner arch seems

as in, flaring em a bit?

hopefully i wont have to, but id have a go if i can get the look i want :lol:

· Plan ahead for any suspension bits you'll be chucking in that will alter the fitment of the wheel such as adjustable arms, coilovers, height etc

it's already got some coilovers on it, n it's lower, not too low, more of a sport tune type look, n the 18s clear it with room to spare

· Read through the offset calculation threads, pm blingcommander for offset advice

ahk ill have a squiz

thanks heaps! :)

(OO)SKYLINE(OO)

Your comparing Nismo LMGT4's to Lenso's..?

I am surprised you asked...

Nismo LMGT4 gets my vote.

LMGT4's come in Black / Bronze / Silver / Gun Metal Grey / White.

A nice 1 piece forged wheel = Strong / Light / Top Quality.

Will look great on your S13.

If you can't afford LMGT4's get Drift Tecks / URAS NS 01 wheels.

They are copies of Nismo LMGT4's.

lol nah i'm not unclear on which one's better to roll on, they're just examples of the sort of design i'm looking for

a nice, simple, clean 5 spoke, sortv star shaped rim

yeah the uras isn't lookin too bad

and you're forgetting the Rota P45F :P

gauly_13

also, wider tyres aren't always more expensive. a 235/45r17 will usually be cheap as chips due to being so common, 215/45r17's are usually a little more costly :) however, u usually cant run a 235/45r17 on the front with stock suspension in an s13 (the tyre will hit the spring seat).

offset wise, 17x9 +10 ish will sit pretty good on the rear (with little guard roll and pretty legally), the fronts about an 8" wide with about +15 ish will sit nicely. go for more aggro offset (ie, lower or negative) if you want the wheels to hang out the guards. Looks tougher, but usually more costly, more guard work involved and not totally legal.

oh, and lenso's get my vote for cost vs practicality! have fun!

nah id rather have them be fairly economical in terms or tyre wear, don't really wanna be forking out for new rubber too soon. might later on tho ;)

yeah i'd like to get thicker rears, but do they (wheel joints) let you get them like that?

fyjosh

i dont know if i'd say copies of lmgt4's.. but similar design. if you dont have cash look for some lmgt2's, old school

don't love the gt2's

prefer a clean look, without rivets n that

thanks heaps tho guys

given me some things to consider

right now, a set of teks are lookin pretty tasty

I reckon theyd look pretty sweet

any pics of them on a standard (or standardish) s13 by any chance floating round?

btw sorry for the essay

yeah i've thought of it as an option

figured it'd be better if i can get it the colour i want as standard, n get a better finish etc

n pardon the noobness, but i just figured keeping the width down would save on tyres a little bit, but is 8" a generally minimum way to go?

a bit more searching, any good looking at these?

Enkei EV5:

ev5_hyper.jpg

and then there's drift teks

i don't mind em

look pretty mean

would suit an s13?

seen pics of em on

but ive seen people rag on them

thoughts?

for efficiency's sake:

drift%20tek%20black-400.jpg

i'm thinking i'll go gloss black

matches the car

found em (teks) going for $1700 (17/8) with tyres on an aus site

is that a decent price for these?

any idea how much those enkei ev5s are??

enkei ev5s are hard to get your hands on from what i know! also hurt the pocket!!!