Sign in to follow this  
Freddy Kruger

Cleaning and lubing a chain?

The chain on the CBR has been lubed using some sort of crappy black grease and it just getting flung everywhere and making a mess up the bike when i pull the cover off <_ so im goin to clean a lube it with one of the thin spray on oils that ive seen.>

Any tips and hints? any recommended products?

I remember someone mentioning that wd40 is an alright option for cleaning the chain but not a good option as a lube?

And having a look at he back of the CBR theres no points for one of those rear wheel stands either. Than means im going to have to do it a section at a time while pushing it down the driveway doesnt it? :doh:

Ok.

Where do I start....

Most race stands give you an option of using swing arm spools (little round f**kers) or just the swing arm (L shaped bracket)

Since ya have no spools just use the L bracket ..

dsc00297v.jpg

Put that under both sides of the swing arm like so..

dsc00299zt.jpg

Push the wheel in the air and your set. As for cleaning and lube, Kero is good for cleaning as it wont f**k your O rings.

I use bel ray chain lube..shit's awesome, no flingy flingy :Dt any brand Of chain oil/lube ment for O rings is your friend. Try not to put to much on as

thanks for that, my stand turned up this morn and i cleaned and lubed the chain. i put too much oil on tho. shit everywhere. all over my nice white wheels and dripped onto the concrete at work :unsure: it did not look like much when it foamed up but fark me lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I use INOX to clean wheels of brake dust/chain oil. It kinda puts a thin layer on ya rims making

them easy to clean next time.

lol i do it the old fashioned way. I use belfast super clean chain lube (doesnt fling up). go for a 10min ride(warm up the chain), drop the sidestand, spray the chain, move the bike forward, spray the chain, move it again, spray... then i just crab walk it for like 2 mins. wait about 10mins then go for a ride. but yes i think i may need to invest in a stand <_>

try using a chain wax as it stays on alot better than oil , and does not flick off.. also apply the lube to the inside of the chain not the outside

try using a chain wax as it stays on alot better than oil , and does not flick off.. also apply the lube to the inside of the chain not the outside

this.

also clean the chain (warm or cold) go for a short ride, just enough to get some good heat into it, lube it then let it cool right down till you ride it again, the lube will dry off and soak in better, so less flings about and it get in more.

wire brush it then use chain wax thumbsup.gif

I'm not a fan of the chain wax. They seem to 'grab' the dirt and it becomes all clunky.

You do have to lube the chain more with Chain Oil, but that also gives you a chance to clean the chain properly which in turn extends the life of the chain.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER use wd40 to lube up a chain. because it strips the lubrication after it dries. i snapped about 3-4 chains on my BMX before i became a bike mechanic and found out what the problem was. only ever use grease or proper chain lube. hope i helped.

when should I be re lubing my chain?

I've owned my bike from new for 4 or more months now. I haven't lubed it in that time.

I am a bit worried I'm going to kill this bike as I don't have any experience in motards or any bike at that.

i do mine between 600 and 1000km. everytime after i ride in the rain. i'll clean and lube the chain every second time

I use to clean and lube the chain on the dirt bike after EVERY dirt/quarry bashing session ... and the road bike chains get a clean and lube every 1,000kms.

As Gaz mentioned, a stand makes the job easier, and clean the chain with kero, then apply a little lube. Ride for a bit to warm up the chain, then soak more into the chain. Excess that flings off just means you're doing it properly. HTFU and just clean ya rear rim as needs :P

i dont have a centre/rear stand. Any suggestions how to get the rear wheel up safetly?

you dont, spray a little, move it forward, spray a little move it forward, etc etc

you dont, spray a little, move it forward, spray a little move it forward, etc etc

yep, that's what i used to do.

Just walk the bike up and down the driveway as you do it.

i dont have a centre/rear stand. Any suggestions how to get the rear wheel up safetly?

Get one, theyre awesome.

Get onto one of the motorbike forums like cbr250.com or whatever as KANEG have 10% off codes for their website.

+1

Race stands, as they are called, are awesome and saves for much f**king about.

Race stands are good for cleaning your chain and removing wheels (as well as fitting tyre warmers if you track/race your bike).

Get one, theyre awesome.

Get onto one of the motorbike forums like cbr250.com or whatever as KANEG have 10% off codes for their website.

just because im a nice guy...

http://www.kaneg.com.au/

the code you can use is just simply VC and you get 15% off and its free shipping. so a rear stand costs $80.75 to your door. sweet ey? :shades:

Get one, theyre awesome.

i never had a stand of my own. its a bit of a B*tch doing the chain but with patience just move the bike up and down accordingly and follow steps as i mention before.