Sign in to follow this  
Abruzzi

S15 Rear Brake Problem - Changed Pads & Disc

Hi all,

Need a bit of help. Yesterday finished the install of a set of rear pads on my S15 (only the passenger side set) and I had to use the car before being able to install the other set, however I have found that the new install is not fully disengaging, they remain ever so slightly on.

What I did during installation:

Pulled the entire brake caliper out, pulled the piston apart, checked seals (they were fine, piston was a little scoured from attracting moisture, but cleaned the surface up and also the inside of the caliper itself and refit the piston back in. Wound the piston in until it bottomed out on the adjuster thread, then put everything back together with new pads and disc. Bled the line and checked all other lines to make sure there was no air and pumped the brake a few more times just to be sure.

What I noticed:

After driving (note, although I didn't specifically bed the brakes using the technique described in the how-to article, I have not pushed them on hard, only light braking with very steady driving and lots of slowing down using gears, which I do anyway) was that there was a burning brake smell coming from that side, I stuck my hand near the disc and it is a lot hotter than the side that hasn't yet been replaced.

I also noticed when I put the handbrake on for the first time, that I could almost pull it all the way up the first time, but the second time I did it it was back to around the halfway mark (this was simply let it back out and pull it back up again). Could the brakes have self adjusted when doing this and pushed in too far? Even so though, shouldn't they self adjust back out again also?

What I have done since:

Put the car up on jack with blocks. Pulled the handbrake off and turned the wheel by hand. I can feel and hear the pad is touching the caliper slightly, just enough to cause very minor drag, but not enough to notice while driving the car. I adjusted the handbrake bolt so that the nut was almost all the way out, this didn't change anything, so put it back to where it was. Then left the handbrake off and tried pumping the brake pedal a few times (although I did this before first driving anyway, and obviously a few times while driving so I don't doubt it will be doing anything) and it was still a no-go.

So my question is, is it because I have not yet changed the other set of brakes/caliper. I don't think it should affect it because the brakes are self adjusting anyway, so it shouldn't matter if one side is different to the other... except for the handbrake. However, as I said, I loosened the handbrake all the way off, and this didn't help either.

Any ideas!?

I adjusted the handbrake bolt so that the nut was almost all the way out, this didn't change anything, so put it back to where it was.

I didn't adjust the handbrake immediately after installing the new pads and disc, but gave it a go later on, and as I said, it didn't help.

anyone got some help? i've got the same thing happening on my S13, no abs.

both the rear brakes are locked on slightly, enough that i can have it in neutral, handbrake off and still not be able to push the car. i adjusted the handbrake all the way off to make sure it wasn't engaging even when it was down and it's still the same. it's pissing me off and i need to go get a blue slip a.s.a.p.

Agree, grease the sliders with a high temp grease but dont use too much so it doesnt go everywhere. Also check that the pads move freely in the caliper

do you mean the bleed nipple on the calipers?

i'm home alone at the moment so i can't really do any brake bleeding.

Yes remove it, undo it. Shit willcome out of the cailper that way. You can bleed brakes solo. A bottle and sone vac hose