Sign in to follow this  
Donshe

Rear Brake Caliper Seized?

I had new pads put in by a mechanic late last yr, got him to do it since rotors needed machining too

That night I took it home and there was smoke pouring out the back, got out to see disc was glowing, took it back to him straight away and he basically adjusted it up and said something about Silvia calipers using pistons and they seize up and it'd need a rebuild.

I didnt think much of it till recently I found out that the LHS rear which was the problem, the pad is pretty much all gone, unlike wear on the others.

Hence pressure was still applied, but lightly.

I asked the mech again and he said caliper needs a rebuild.

So want to know what to do as I don't wan tto take it back to him. If it is the caliper, id rather buy one from a wrecker as itd work out cheaper?

- What are the possible problems that may be causing this

- What are the solutions

yeah my mates car kinda does this, he's right it needs rebuilding

not sure what a rebuild costs did you get him to quote you?

if its anything over 100 just get a 2nd hand caliper

You can do this yourself if your mechanically minded enough. You won't need new calipers and it would not be cheaper to buy from a wreckers than just rebuilding the ones you have, as in a few years time your likely to end up in the same position anyway.

Its likely that the calipers have absorbed some moisture (thanks to your brake fluid) and have gummed up and corroded a little. Hence the sticking. If they need to be rebuilt, it basically involves pulling them out, cleaning up the piston seal surface, replacing the seals, cleaning the crap out of the caliper and fitting them all back together.

If you have or can find the service manual for your vehicle it will show you exactly how they come apart.

I asked him to quote me but he hasn't got back to me saying he's waiting on his suppleri to tell him how much a rebuild kit is

Although he said if I supplied a caliper he'd charge 180 to fit, that just sounds silly.

I have the long weekend coming up so Im willing to give this a shot by myself.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I need to do and what parts I need to buy to rebuild it?

I asked him to quote me but he hasn't got back to me saying he's waiting on his suppleri to tell him how much a rebuild kit is

Although he said if I supplied a caliper he'd charge 180 to fit, that just sounds silly.

I have the long weekend coming up so Im willing to give this a shot by myself.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I need to do and what parts I need to buy to rebuild it?

i get a new mechanic bro

yeah i dont think im going to be going back to him.

thas why i was talking to kng200 the other week at dinenr but a bit far from my area