Sign in to follow this  
oh180

good idea to cut springs?

hey all.. ive got a 180sx type x and the ride is a little high.. ive been browsing coilovers but they are a little of my budget for the time being.. ive heard of a couple people cutting their springs?? does that affect the car in anyways and what other solutions do i have??

got a couple of pics here as well just wondering if the stock rims look any good once the car is droped? and also pritty confused on what type/ color rims i should buy to suit a silver car :S

thanx in advance

09042010715.jpg

09042010716.jpg

09042010717.jpg

Edited by oh180

if it was a boonga rolla or datsun I'd say go for it, but not on that thing.

Cutting your springs is a shitty backyard job that you would do to a corolla. Don't ruin your nice type x. If you are going to modify the car a lot, buy coilovers. If you just want the low, get some lowering springs.

As mentioned its a terrible idea.

Why?

A. The heat of cutting them will change the properties of the steal. They will become brittle and possibly crack.

B. The spring is designed with a certain amount of compression and height. Change the height, you change the compression.

C. Because of the above, the spring will no longer remain captive.

D. Instant defect.

E. Insurance wont pay out if involved in an accident.

F. A set of low king springs is pretty cheap. Tien springs, even cheaper.

G. They will ride like shit.

Man i new of this guy who wanted to lower his commo. He was too tight ass to even cut them. They heated the springs with the oxy till they sunk to a lower height :P Car ended up not sitting evenly supprise supprise. Car ended up getting canned.

Not a good idea.

Buy some lowered springs or save up for coilovers

sweet thanx heaps guys!! ill just keep with the stocky look till i can afford some coilovers!!!

if you can afford a 180sx at the very least you can afford the $300 you pay to get king springs put in. and thats probably $300 fitted too... f**K....

Kings or Lowes springs dude, and if your handy change them over yourself, cheap as chips and loads better than super ghetto spec cut springs <_>

F. A set of low king springs is pretty cheap. Tien springs, even cheaper.

Are Tein springs really cheaper than kings?!

Are Tein better quality or worse compared to kings?

Edited by Scotty.

lol mate i went through the exact same thoughts when i first got my s13 i was 16 impatient and wanted MOAR low! but i waited it out and got coilovers u wont regret the wait, cut springs handle like ass!

get lowered springs if you cant afford coilovers

lol

my mates car has cut springs and when ever there is a slight dip in the road the car bottoms out and u hear this horrible noise, bad idea never do it

get get a set of bolt in shocks with king springs on them for like 150- 300 bux second hand, just save and it will pay off

DO IT DOOOO IIITTT!!

just been like those charades or starlets that drive around with cut or no springs... haha seriously just save money and either buy some king/kmax or whatever springs or even better get come coilvers for the full adjustability and handling! :D

f**k what ns thinks

cut the springs it will be sick

its your car

if it was a boonga rolla or datsun I'd say go for it, but not on that thing.

It is a datsun:unsure:

don't cut the springs, ever

it's the worst ride, you can almost hear the car whimper in pain whenever you drive on anything that isn't perfectly flat

and speed humps, hit em too quick, or meet a harsher one, prepare for a metallic yelp of pain

in other words, don't do it to your car, it will thank you for it :thumbsup:

for some new wheels, id either go a subtle approach and just put some silver wheels on it

although it might be difficult to find ones that id be satisfied match the car's colour enough

but, get a wheel design that suits the car, and having them the same colour as the car will look great

or id go a bit further and go black wheels in preparation for later on panda-ing it

dont cut springs in a type x imo.

iv had choppies in all my cars, but they were all just street dori thrash pigs.

s13 - blown front coils, kyb rear shocks and chopped kyb springs

ke70 - monroe shocks all around, chopped all around

r31 - standards chopped

all handled fine and out did a hell of a lot of other ppl.

Since you already know not to cut the springs,

Time to focus on rims.

Got the same car and i reckon Gun Metal Grey will look the best then silver or black.

never cut springs.... a mate of mine who was really cheap did this cost him big in the end.... if u really want to lower your car just ur stock ones compressed