Sign in to follow this  
terrykoun

SR20DET Oil

going to do an oil change this weekend,

cant for the life of me find that thread that showed you what everyones using on their engines

little help anyone?

thanks,

if you do want to use royal purple or redline oils, my advice is order through http://performancelub.com/ quick response, cheap, quick delivery and harold is a champ.

ive been running motul turbolight in all my cars over the years and it hasnt changed even with the s15!! But Royal Purple Is GREAT!!!!!!! PerformanceLub I highly recommend!!! Harold is a champion and great to deal with!!! SOOOO Cheap and fast!!

i personally use ELF oil.

but have used royal purple and motol oils happily aswell as castrol edge.

meh frequent changes are far more important than the oil used if its of reasonable quality

As above i used Elf 10W-50 Full Synthetic on my 200SX and it was great oil. $50 for 5L and when i changed it every 5,000k it wasn't even black was a dark brown colour

Using redline 10W-40in my 200 atm..

$100 for 3.7 litres.. At least it was the perfect amount for the SR haha.

Royal Purple way to pricey every 5000kms.....IMO

Use Nulon 10-40 Fully synthetic OR Castrol Edge Sport 5-30.

Both retail for around the same price. I would use the castrol, but both are very good oils for the money.

http://www.nissansil...howtopic=160614

that the one your after?

yea thats the one bro, thanks.

5-30's too thin for an s13 in it (assuming u have a 180)? Nissan Factory oil for SR20det is 7.5w 30

going to try Royal Purple 10w 40, have'nt seen one negative comment about it.

that the one your after?

5-30's too thin for an s13 in it (assuming u have a 180)? Nissan Factory oil for SR20det is 7.5w 30

I used it and the car absolutely loved it!

My SR didn't blow any smoke and was in great condition. Responded very well to the 5-30.

Nulon was very good too.

Another +1 for Royal Purple 10w40 here.

It's not that expensive if you go through performancelub. Harold is a champ!

If money isn't a problem, motul 300v imho is great stuff. Sad part is its about $110 @ 4L.

that the one your after?

I used it and the car absolutely loved it!

My SR didn't blow any smoke and was in great condition. Responded very well to the 5-30.

Nulon was very good too.

I've used Castrol Edge Sport 5-30 in all my imports over the years - R32 GTR, JZA80, Legnum, the Sil80 and the 180, all of which hit the track regularly except the Legnum. As well as my old CA18DET Datto 1200 track car. There's nothing wrong with it. I'm sure the pure ester based oils are technically better, but I can't bring myself to pay that much for oil.

7.5w-30 vs 5w-30 means the cold viscosity is better with the 5w-30 oil. It will flow better at low temps. Its not too thin for the engine. They both have the same SAE30 viscosity at the standard 100degree test

Edited by hrd

so is $100 for 5lt of royal purple a decent price in adelaide? or is there cheaper places around. it looks cheaper through performanceclub but wanna do a change this weekend so wanna pick up tomorrow am. also can anyone tell me how much their 5lt from off the site was once posted to adelaide? so i know for in 5,000km time?

cheers

Thought I'd bump this because I changed my oil the other day.. Car now has 170,000K's so I decided to switch to ELF Excellium 10w-50. Car seems to be running very well, no VCT noise as of yet (was getting a fair bit of it with the old 10w-40 redline that used to be in it).

Good to hear.

I'm using Elf Excellium 5w40 at the moment, and it's really good.

Good to hear.

I'm using Elf Excellium 5w40 at the moment, and it's really good.

Im using the same but in 5w30 , have no problems with it. I think as long as you use a good quality synthetic oil of the correct grade for your engine you cant go wrong.

Out of curiosity, who here is actually in a position to say one oil is better than another? I understand that people like donny and other guys in busy shops here will be putting lots of oil into lots of cars, but is everyone else just basing comments on what they've used and not resulted in immediate car failure? I'm in no real position to test myself, but having a degree in chemistry, i'm interested in what physical evidence there is for better performing oils.

you do have a point there. Ive used pretty much all types of oil, atleast 8 types of brands ranging from $40 bottles to $110 bottles in 10-40 and really, all have not disappointed. They didnt feel any different in performance

Me personally used to use royal purple religiously but now i just use a penrite 10w-40 and cant complain. $50 bottle and hasnt let me down for over 30,000km and do notice the oil not as black or thick everytime i do a change so yeah. Just my 2c

Out of curiosity, who here is actually in a position to say one oil is better than another? I understand that people like donny and other guys in busy shops here will be putting lots of oil into lots of cars, but is everyone else just basing comments on what they've used and not resulted in immediate car failure? I'm in no real position to test myself, but having a degree in chemistry, i'm interested in what physical evidence there is for better performing oils.

Was thinking exactly this while reading this thread... so what exactly quantifies these "really good" oils that people recommend... how are they basing this judgement?

You've hit the proverbial nail on the head Wizard. Theres no real basis other than 'feel'. For the most part using the correct viscosity good quality oil, don't be fooled with 100% syn because very few are actually 100% syn so to speak (ester based) at regular intervals will yield the same results. It's the psychological aspect of having $200 oil in ur car that makes u think ur doing the best u can, bit like warming ur car up for half an hour :P than thrashing it before u warm up the gearbox and diff. With all that said I havnt heard the Aussie Nulon mentioned which I dare say based on 'feel' would be on par with royal purple

Oh and ive heard the colour thing aswell, and although a less 'black' colour MAY indicate less blow-by meaning good rings, a function of the chemicals/additives in oil is to absorb blow by and associated gases so u could really see it as the blacker the more it's absorbing