Sign in to follow this  
munro88

s15 vs DC2R - who has made the switch? :)

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has made the switch from a s15 to a DC2R or vise versa.

Im in the market and looking at buying either one but need to know if anyone has made a switch and is free to offer their opinions :). I am very aware that both are excellent cars, just wouldnt mind getting an unbiased opinion. Stock v Stock btw

thanks.

Edited by munro88

prolly not the best of forums to be asking bout honda's mate... you will get very bias opinions with a possible side of flameage

You did realise you are on a nissan silvia site?

Lets go through the pros and cons champ....

DC2R

Con

- front wheel drive (one of the best fwds ever to come onto the market BUT still a fwd)

- VTEC is gay. unless your on ya Ps

- will never have the same tuner ability unless you add a turbo (you rich?)

Pro

- Won't get as ass raped as silvias by popo (but will most probably still get smashed depending on how you drive/exterior mods)

- Reliable motor (but so is a SR)

S15

Con

-BIG time ass rapage by popo

- is now a 10 yr old car

Pro

- Easy to tune

- cheap parts

- Any reputable tuner/back door mechanic knows the basics on Srs

- very reliable yet most have been abused there whole lifes...

To finish up go test drive them and make up your own bloody mind

hmm under half a second.

gotta give it to Honda, they do not bad with their NA motors

nice link mate!

thanks

Edited by munro88

My mate has an jdm DC2R and i own an s15

DC2R is a car which you need to thrash to enjoy, s15 can do cruise no problem so if you enjoy trashing cars 24x7, then DC2R is your answer

DC2R is a car which you need to thrash to enjoy, s15 can do cruise no problem so if you enjoy trashing cars 24x7, then DC2R is your answer

i guess thats the fun in it cause the honda's are built for reliability so will be able to cope with the thrashing? provided they are serviced well i guess. Is their much lag with the stock SR20?

yea how pissed would you be if your 99 got beaten by a 93

haha last on the list is a hybrid

Can't beleive how slow an S15 is around Tsububa. Jap spec aswell. :lol:

I'd take the Integra (FWD isn't that bad you know) if you plan to keep it standard but modified, the S15 is streets ahead. It's a no brainer...

S15

Con

-BIG time ass rapage by popo

- is now a 10 yr old car

And how old would you say a DC2R is? :whistle:

Can't beleive how slow an S15 is around Tsububa. Jap spec aswell. :lol:

I'd take the Integra (FWD isn't that bad you know) if you plan to keep it standard but modified, the S15 is streets ahead. It's a no brainer...

yea once you mod a turbo there is no going back to NA

its not fair to force the s15 to remain stock. S15s are shit stock lol, at least an ADM one is. S15s are tuner cars made to be modded. integras not as much so as they come out of the factory much better tuned

stock Sr20 turbos run out of puff to easy is what i noticed when i drove it, where the ITR just seemed to not stop pulling..

Edited by munro88

i guess thats the fun in it cause the honda's are built for reliability so will be able to cope with the thrashing? provided they are serviced well i guess. Is their much lag with the stock SR20?

hahaha Do you know how much a liter vtec engines go through if they are thrashed frequently? Even with fresh built vtec, they chew engine oil. Judging by the way you ask about lag, i guess you havnt driven a proper turbo car... Example my car, full boost 1bar by 3700 with cams, used to get 3500 full boost with stock cams, power comes on earlier than vtecs, vtec dont switch on till 4500 for b18c

stock Sr20 turbos run out of puff to easy is what i noticed when i drove it, where the ITR just seemed to not stop pulling..

Yeah they run out of puff on the top end easily, but with cams and proper tuned, even with stock turbo is plenty for street, hence why i'm keeping my stock turbo, response = win

Funny about ITR tho, they seem to not stop pulling, but on 3rd on 8000rpm, they are only at about 130-140km/h, 3rd on a sil is well over 160km/h... at least on mine

s15 has a much nicer interior and is a better cruiser, plus it is newer. I would say DC5R vs s15 would be a tough choice, but DC2R vs s15, s15 wins.

Someone mentioned s15s have been thrashed their whole lives - this is much more the case with DC2Rs, most of them are thrashed and getting high in the kms, good condition ones generally go for a premium.

That said, if you want to buy a stock car and keep it totally stock, I would go for the type R as they are built for track straight from the factory, but if you do a few very basic mods the s15 moves into the lead.

hahaha Do you know how much a liter vtec engines go through if they are thrashed frequently? Even with fresh built vtec, they chew engine oil. Judging by the way you ask about lag, i guess you havnt driven a proper turbo car... Example my car, full boost 1bar by 3700 with cams, used to get 3500 full boost with stock cams, power comes on earlier than vtecs, vtec dont switch on till 4500 for b18c

Yeah they run out of puff on the top end easily, but with cams and proper tuned, even with stock turbo is plenty for street, hence why i'm keeping my stock turbo, response = win

Funny about ITR tho, they seem to not stop pulling, but on 3rd on 8000rpm, they are only at about 130-140km/h, 3rd on a sil is well over 160km/h... at least on mine

cams with the stock turbo? I don't reckon its worth it, but that's me. How much power you making?

standard cars back to back id take the integra.

throw a couple of mods into the mix definatly S15

just test drive both cars and see which one you like better and which one suits your driving style more

you've asked about stock vs stock, but surely you will plan on modding it later right? in which case, definently the S15 will get you better power for same amount of money compared to the dc2r.... also having been in the honda scene for a very long time, it seems like dc2r's are getting stolen left right and centre coz of all their parts (recaros, b18, brakes, wheels etc) having not been in the nissan scene for very long i'm unsure on the safety of s15's...

if u plan on tracking both cars stock, well obviously the dc2r is a better option, but if its just for street use then really it comes down to what you enjoy more, coz honestly how much difference does RWD v FWD make on the street?

also its unfair to compare to them stock v stock neway since ITR is like the GTR of hondas and well s15 (stock) is like the Gli civic of nissans lol ITR comes out of the factory ready for track, S15's came out of the factory ready to go straight into the workshops lol

^^ ITR is not really GTR of honda but it's pretty well equipped - stock vs stock, DC2R is heaps better than s15

bar the NSX i think it'd be up there with GTR of hondas :P

wow thanks everyone!

yea i get your points. im just trying to weigh up the costs of owning both cars and the safety of owning both aswell. apart of me is wanted the rwd turbo power and the other part of me is wanting the honda reliabilty and race experience..but as you said its only for the street so im heading towards the s15.pwould you say its better to get one that hasnt had the boost wound up too much (no more than 12psi say)? or are the SRs pretty safe to be copeing with uped boost.

the reason why im asking is because i want to see this one:

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=7779803&keywords=s15&tsrc=allcarhome&__Ntk=CarAll&__Nne=15&__Dx=mode%20matchany&__No=15&__D=s15&silo=1011&seot=1&__sid=1289769319A0&__N=1216%201246%201247%201252%201282%204294963846%20901&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&__Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Cr=13&__Ntt=s15&trecs=29&__Qpb=true

owner says it has been running on 14 pound... also what would the petrol consumption be like at that kinda boost? (yes im aware boost can be lowered)

wow thanks everyone!

yea i get your points. im just trying to weigh up the costs of owning both cars and the safety of owning both aswell. apart of me is wanted the rwd turbo power and the other part of me is wanting the honda reliabilty and race experience..but as you said its only for the street so im heading towards the s15.pwould you say its better to get one that hasnt had the boost wound up too much (no more than 12psi say)? or are the SRs pretty safe to be copeing with uped boost.

the reason why im asking is because i want to see this one:

http://www.carsales....s=29&__Qpb=true

owner says it has been running on 14 pound... also what would the petrol consumption be like at that kinda boost? (yes im aware boost can be lowered)

i'd be cautious of silvias running 1bar (14psi) without a retune. at least, from what i have read.

petrol consumption would be really depend on how you drive. i own a stock s14, can get up to 9L/100kms and as bad as 14L/100kms.

so, off boost, you should be fine.

DC2R would be epic, if only it was rwd.

Yes I agree with Peter, without a retune is ok, but running 1bar with an aftermarket fuel pump is too much

Also if you are going to mod the s15, get one which has already been done up by previous owner, saves you money in the long run, basic mods like fmic, fuel pump, coilovers are not really considered heavily modified

Safety wise, the DC2R will be much more forgiving, rwd can get abit out of hand if you dont respect it (launch too hard, shitty rear tyres etc)

thanks for all your help! know anyone selling theirs on this forum in SA?

i would go the dc2, based on the point another made indirecly. They come from factory with recaros, a killer engine, a strong reputation. To me this is a no brainer...dc2r for sure

A guy i used to work with had a dc2r then bought a 33gtr afterwards, he regretted selling the honda as he said it was so much better than the gtr, sure it didnt make the power but was a joy to drive.

only downside i see to the integra is they are an ugly duckling from the front at least.

I'd say the DC2R is the better car....but seriously you will have more fun f**king around in a S15

made the switch from dc2 to s15, wont look back! both cars modded and s15

car is still in family drive it around sometimes

and still a fun car to drive, but nothing compared to the s15....