Sign in to follow this  
alex690

rear quarter panel damage

damaged my rear quarter panel tonight, some little pricks threw a rock at my car from the sunroof of there car going in the opposite direction, i panicked, swerved hit the brakes and ended up swinging around and slamming my car into a sign (its been raining in melb for the past 2 days) and yeah ive got a fair huge indent of a pole in my rear driver side quarter panel im absolutely gutted and if i ever find out who threw that rock theres gonna be trouble. thank god for insurance i have already called them and they will be picking up the car first thing in the morning.

now my question is how is the rear quarter panel repairable on s15's it looks like its all one piece all the way over the top of the roof?

thanks guys :(

i will tomorrow when there is some light

do you know how the panels are fixed when they look like they are just one piece? theres welds yeah?

Generally... Pop/pull back out, bog, prep etc. then respray...

no chance of getting a whole new quarter panel? i mean the insurance is taking care of it so if im not happy then i wont settle for it

s15 rear quarters aren't removable mate... I guess depending on the severity of the damage will determine whether it'll be cut out and be rewelded. I highly doubt it though. Most likely it'll be pulled back out as best as possible and bogged up etc. and sanded back.

I'm no panel beater, but I've seen enough to be confident of the above. But yeah, best to go around to different workshops and get quoted up and discuss what sort of work will be involved.

Good luck mate :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Andy

thats what i did not want to hear, &$%#... its a fair whack, the bottom half worse then the top because it goes all the way from the bottom to just under the back window, is it noticable when things like that get repaired?

Similar thing happened to me, someones shoe decided to go through my rear 1/4 on my s13.

took it to a panel shop, quoted me $1k painted. didn't bother as i only just bought the car and had no money.

just to give you an idea. kinda wish I had a 180 as they seem to be replaceable rear 1/4s..

the cost isnt much of a big deal because insurance will be paying for it, just how good can they make it look after such a dent?

Nah mate should be mickey mouse (depending on who does the job)...

If it makes you feel any better, I was in the same mind frame as you when it came to how clean your ride looks and dreaded the thought of using bog on the car. I've now got a couple of trolley dents and car door dings on the rear quarters of mine. It's inevideble. If I wanted to fix it, it'll have to be done by using bog and shit. Now mine and yours is at way different ends of the stick but point is as long as there wasn't structual damage, don't sweat it. Structual is what I'ld be worried about!

Similar thing happened to me, someones shoe decided to go through my rear 1/4 on my s13.

took it to a panel shop, quoted me $1k painted. didn't bother as i only just bought the car and had no money.

just to give you an idea. kinda wish I had a 180 as they seem to be replaceable rear 1/4s..

The fk?

You and your bf Kid-Dynamite... Seriously :rolleyes:

just wait and see what they have to say, aami have a guarantee of satisfaction so that makes me feel a bit better. and yeah the thought/sound of bog gives me shivers

my mates r33 got T boned bout a month ago.......lets just say from the door back was fucccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkked. i mean it looked like the car was a write off

but he took it to a crash shop and they cut off the rear guard from nearly the roof and replaced it with a rear guard they cut out of another r33 shell

if your damage is pretty bad im thinking they will do the same....now that its painted u cant even notice which side got hit....looks perfect

cut/weld/minimal bog

instead of kgs of bog

Andy style reckons s15 quarters are not removable? Meaning the quarter on it's own? Or is it able to be removed once it's been cut

I just hope it's not noticeable once it's all finished. I feel like crying!!!!!

I'm sure it won't they are smash repairers for a reason you shouldn't be able to tell

and to me it looks like the 180 glass isn't connected to the roof like the Silvia :rolleyes: that's what I meant by SEEM to be replacable...

damaged my rear quarter panel tonight, some little pricks threw a rock at my car from the sunroof of there car going in the opposite direction, i panicked, swerved hit the brakes and ended up swinging around and slamming my car into a sign

lol... is this ur way of saying "id did a skid and crashed" laugh.gif

the rock and egg that they threw is still on my car, can someone tell me how to post pictures

yeh its not removable because its welded on.

ive seen a rear quarter panel for an s15.

look like you take out the rear quarter window n weld it to the roof

and weld behind the tail light from what ive seen in the picture

heres a pic of it http://img260.imageshack.us/i/spics240ss14rbswapvq35dettshop2.jpg/

Edited by Nashy14

ok so atleast i know they exist now, was thinking it'd be a bit silly of nissan if they made rear quarters for s15's near impossible to fix

thanks for the pic!

s15 rear guards are removable :lol: love people not in the trade saying things as fact when they have no clue :rolleyes: just look at ibi's drift car he just bought a new rear guard from nissan to replace the dented one..... so yes you unpick it and can replace it (half way up the c pillar etc).

but i wouldnt replace the panel way too much work. pull out the dint as much as possible file it, bog prep and paint.

+1

you will find most of cars panels are replaceable its just a case of too severe? structually unsafe? or even cost effective?(time is money also).

some cars it is hard to get complete 1/4 cuts so repair is the best option. you will find the panel is spot welded behind the rear bar and tail light(and other spots) and the roof and bottow of the guard will need to be cut to get the panel off off.

all depends on the insurance company its is up to them what happens. hope all goes well.

f**king expensive mate

I undertook a truck in the bike lane and consequently the truck pulled over basically taking out my drivers side of the car. the door was fine but the rear quarter was f**ked. They had to cut it out and put a new one in there. The front bumper, front quarter pannel, head light, rear tail light, rear bumper and rear quarter pannel needed replacing. Thank god for the Nissansilvia.com classified section.

Luckly i used it as an excuse to get a body kit fitted so I didnt have to get a new front and rear bumper. But it ended up costing me close to $7000 including the bodykit which was just over $1000 and about 4 weeks at the pannel beaters. I picked up a headlight and some D1 tail lights off here which saved me loads from going new so the only new Nissan parts they bought were the two quarter pannels.

And that was the cheapest quote I found.

If insurance is taking care of it make sure they cut it out. Mine looks brand new you cant even tell there was an accident. You dont want bog epically come re-sale time.

s15 rear guards are removable :lol: love people not in the trade saying things as fact when they have no clue :rolleyes: just look at ibi's drift car he just bought a new rear guard from nissan to replace the dented one..... so yes you unpick it and can replace it (half way up the c pillar etc).

but i wouldnt replace the panel way too much work. pull out the dint as much as possible file it, bog prep and paint.

I was always under the impression that 'removable' was a term used when a part can be unbolted (i.e. not needing to be cut or unpicking the welds... Cos that's still cutting the thing out).

Therefore we all stated it's not removable, that being easily removable by unbolting like the op initially assumed.

Of course anything is removable mate... But point is, if the op's rear quarter isn't the severe (or severe in fact), I highly doubt it's going to be unpicked and whole thing 'removed'.

hope that you havnt bent popd the c pillar it might be abit harder to fix

farkkk uve u hit the sil fair amount of damage done there!