Sign in to follow this  
consie_s14

CLUTCHES

hey guys, quick topic on clutches,

fried mine on the weekend now i dont have a butt load of money for a whole new setup so want to retain the exedy cover/pressure plate..

at the moment its just an organic heavy duty which has been in there 3yrs and ive never broken a box before with it, i was thinking now i have more power how a cushioned button disc would go?? and keep the same pressure plate/cover, they would still go together yeah?? and mot kill factory boxes on a weekly basis like some??

cheers for input

Cusioned button no good for drift. Even Exedy themself say no to drift. There is too much riding pedal travel. They sent one to us accidentally and it was too late to change before the practice day the next day so put it in in the mate's car and u use the whole pedal travel from engage to disengage. can't clutch kick easily and the way the buttons are attached isn't suitable for hard launches etc.

Just an Exedy heavy duty button disk will do the trick nicely. That's what's in Ryan's 180 and it's still easy to ride and doesn't seem to shock hard wen u dump it compared to the clutch in the S14.

ask those who have plenty of experience, not net worriers. You know plenty of people who drift.

A Heavy Duty Organic is not going to last a season with 250rwkw+.

Realistically you are at the crossroads, the cars making too much power for that stock box to last another season once you upgrade the clutch.

Everyone with decent/big power has a better gearbox than stock ;) Only way to go.

I should not get on the net when im smashed, as i only come out with stupid stuff. ie above.

Ben makes a very valid point, better clutch will transfer more shock load to the box- hence breaky breaky.

but if you dont get a better clutch it will fail again, and soon you may want more grip to go quicker and so it will make it worse.

And then you will smash another gearbox, welcome to drifting, I have blown at least $15,000 on gearboxes and clutches in the last 6 years.

Fun.

btw im only half smashed atm.

ps, I always use a sprung centre as it reduces the shock load, many swear by double plate but i dont like them. they can get heaps of clamp load on a sinlge these days and a sprung centre takes the harshness out. If you get it wrong, the single will offer more forgivness over a twin, which is harder on the box.

yeah ya's have total valid point on upgrading the clutch and yes i know then id smash the gear box the day i put it in..

never smashed my factory box before will try to keep it that way till i can afford a z32 conversion so going same clutch again i think!!

to tight of a budget lol