Sign in to follow this  
dermy

Anyone know a workshop who corner weights?

Hey guys.. I just picked up a set of

tein super streets for my 180 and wanted to know if anyones knows a good workshop I could go to near tullamarine to have them weighted properly?

Cheers

true, is it for track. As most people set them more for height, corner weight is for track racers and serious people. Wrong website lol.

If its for hieght, i can do it at work and also do the alignment.

TTF South Morang.

Centreline is probably the closest place to Tulla to get a decent corner-weight done. Meridian Motorsport on the Eastern Side. It should cost between $200-$300 depending if the coilovers are already in your car and all they need to do is set up the appropriate cross-weights.

I did.. When I was doing them I noticed I need to replace my Lh steering bush

There better then the jics there replacing

whats this corner weight/cross weight thing? never heard of it :unsure:

OK so corner weighting is adjusting the static load on the springs of your car so that the left side of your car weighs the same as the right side, cross-weighting is the same, but it's an extra step to ensure that the sum weight of the bottom left + top right is equal to the sum weight of the top left + bottom right. You corner-weight your car so that it corners consistently whether you're turning left or right. If your car is weighted incorrectly it will turn better in one direction than the other. Realistically, you will only feel a difference on a race-track.

No, you cannot just measure your coilovers and make sure they're exactly the same, because the car's weight is different left-to-right. Also, when you get a proper corner weight done, they will usually throw a bag of something that is roughly the same weight as you in the driver's seat, so that the car will be corner weighted with you sitting in it. If your car is light enough, you could buy 8 bathroom scales (2 at each corner) and spend the afternoon with a six-pack doing a DIY corner-weight.

DIY instructions : http://robrobinette.com/corner_weight.htm

Centerline corner weight for $150 (basic). They will need to know off you Your weight, how much fuel you drive with. They'll do the rest. my brother had his rx7 done there. says it made alot of difference in the way the car feels.

$150 sounds cheap.

I've been meaning to get the S14 done but I'm forever changing the ride height. :(

Would love to do it at home (do all my alignments at home) but bathroom scales are expensive in .au. :P

Have you had yours done Kam?

Man I could have sworn I posted a reply...yes I got my car done at Centreline, not much change left from $700 for the following...

- Corner-weighted

- Adjust spring preload for optimal damper travel

- Adjust ride height for optimal roll centre

- Fabricate new front springs, 20mm longer than the original springs which, even at maximum height, were causing the dampers to bottom out

The end result is that the car has more body-roll, but also feels like it's not leaning so much on the outside front-tyre, probably by virtue of actually having damper travel. Unfortunately I don't have a back-to-back comparison for any track, as I also changed from 235-wide RE55s to 255-wide A050s and added an ATS 1.5-way. For what it's worth, with those additions the car was around 2 seconds faster at Winton and 5 seconds faster at Sandown, though I'd picked up quite a bit of experience between the two Sandown days.

I also changed from 235-wide RE55s to 255-wide A050s and added an ATS 1.5-way. For what it's worth, with those additions the car was around 2 seconds faster at Winton and 5 seconds faster at Sandown, though I'd picked up quite a bit of experience between the two Sandown days.

Couldn't the actual tyres and Diff of given you them advantages? and also now that youve made a change to a wider tyre wouldn't that effect the corner weight, So really your corner weight is now "close enough" but not really spot on.

Also with Cornering Weighting on a car with a standard fuel cell wouldn't that be inneficent, Because if your car is corner weighted at lets say 1/2 tank.. How are you going to manage that? Going via the standard Gauge isn't any use.. So id say youd want a fuel cell to have an EXACT corner weight figure, so you would be on track with the right amount of fuel every time.

Correct me if im wrong, i think its a waste of money for a car that from the minute you drive out the door the data they just punched in becomes different.

Couldn't the actual tyres and Diff of given you them advantages? and also now that youve made a change to a wider tyre wouldn't that effect the corner weight, So really your corner weight is now "close enough" but not really spot on.

I did begin that sentence with "for what it's worth" , the diff and tyres probably made most of the difference in lap time, but it was the most emperical measurement I was able to take...maybe I should have stuck with "it feels full-sick bro!" Also, corner weighting doesn't affect the unsprung mass of the car, as you are adjusting it via the spring pre-load. Changing wheels, tyres, rotors, calipers, brake pads, won't make a difference.

Also with Cornering Weighting on a car with a standard fuel cell wouldn't that be inneficent, Because if your car is corner weighted at lets say 1/2 tank.. How are you going to manage that? Going via the standard Gauge isn't any use.. So id say youd want a fuel cell to have an EXACT corner weight figure, so you would be on track with the right amount of fuel every time.

This can't be helped, you're going to use fuel, it's a dynamic variable and will never be the same from one second to the next. Assuming that the effect fuel has on corner weighting is linear in both directions of weight, i.e. the effect of 10kgs too heavy past optimal is the same as 10kgs too light past optimal, then wouldn't it make sense to corner weight on a half tank, as this offers a situation with the least variance off optimal?

Correct me if im wrong, i think its a waste of money for a car that from the minute you drive out the door the data they just punched in becomes different.

You're right, weight shifts around a lot on a car, but that doesn't mean you can't set the car up as best you can. Do you think race teams CBF corner weighting their cars because the fuel tank will be a different weight between the start of the race and the end of the race, or maybe the two drivers in the team don't weigh the same so why bother? Whether it's a waste of money or not is your opinion, but I think about it this way; if you've just spent $3000 on a set of coilovers, you're not going to consider $200 to get them to function at their optimum level, just bolt them in and that's that? Isn't that a waste of $3000 when you could have just cut the springs? Also, don't think that some cars don't roll of the factory floor pre-weighted. Honda's DC2R had individual part numbers for the OEM springs on each corner because they varied in height, then you go and bolt in your fancy new Teins and pretty much undo all the suspension blueprinting work done by the factory.

sounds interesting. might get it checked out a while down the track when i get new suspension.

true track - leveson street north melb... never let me down alway setup my car brfore track days...not cheap though

definatly centreline, well worth the money for whatever work you need done. :thumbsup: