Sign in to follow this  
Tom Tucker

Changing from NSW to ACT rego

I'm over at the royal military college duntroon, but my car is still registered in NSW. I just recieved a NSW epa defect notice in the mail, presumably from a recent visit to Queanbeyan. Apparently I have an atmo venting BOV and exhaust is too loud. I don't run a BOV at all and I have a varex. Closest inspection station is either wollongong or wagga. I'm so pissed off that you can get defected without any consulation

Was just wondering how hard it is to transfer rego from NSW to ACT? Presumably I'd have to clear the defect, which is incredibly problomatic considering the lack of free time I get at the college. But suppose I let the NSW rego lapse, how hard is it to get fresh rego in the ACT? Does the car have to be completely standard? Or does it simply have to be deemed roadworthy?

Thanks for any help in advance

pfffttt dont bother man. tried it. u need to take ur car to sydney to get the epa test cleared against your car. u won't be able to get act rego or transfer it till that is done. and you will need to put the standard exhaust back on, and if ur running a pod, best to go back to the standard airbox enclosure. they are generally fairly strict and you will need to go through dickson, so try and get you car as standard as possible, otherwise jus put ur car rego in sum1 elses name like ur girlfriends name like i did or a mates name

Yeah there is no way you are going to be able to transfer rego if the car has an outstanding EPA notice. You are gonna have to get that cleared first. As for changing rego, I moved here from WA at the start of the year so needed to change my rego over. All you need is to get a roadworthy certificate from any approved workshop (you don't have to go to dickson, avoid the place if possible as they are heaps more strict), you just need to find a "friendly" mechanic. I was able to get my car passed with a pod, FMIC and Coilovers. There is a list of approved mechanics on this website somewhere

http://www.rego.act.gov.au/

Surely if you let your rego lapse and car is unregistered for 3 months you can then register it in act by just getting a blue slip or whatever they call it there.

if modified, the car has to go to pits at dickson

my first post explains it all. Any car coming from interstate, wheather or not it's modified or not, has to go to Dickson. Put it in a friends name.

my first post explains it all. Any car coming from interstate, wheather or not it's modified or not, has to go to Dickson. Put it in a friends name.

As I said I moved here at the start of the year and was told that any roadworthy would be satisfactory and got it done at a mechanic cost about $45 I think. Went into dickson registry with old rego papers and roadworthy cert, changed everything over, no problemo... :thumb:

What would putting it in a friends name do?

defect notice will still hold

not in nsw.... if your rego is cancelled for not clearing a defect you only have to get it blueslipped.

Hopefully I can get this sorted out with just a regular inspection. I rang the EPA today and got an admission of sorts that they screwed me, so hopefully I can get a quick resolution. Thanks for everyone's input

you dont need to go to dickson to change the rego over and how will ACT rego know if your car has an EPA defect? ACT dont talk to NSW rego... The shell i have at the moment has ACT defects on it and when i called NSW to see if i had to clear them before rego'ing it in NSW, i was told they had no way of knowing and as long as it cleared a blue slip, it'd be fine to rego... the same will apply to your car when u come to ACT - if u dont clear the NSW defect, ACT wont know and as long as you pass an inspection by a workshop you wont have an issue.

well that clear things up...

too bad for my mate who just got his car regoed from vic cos he had to do it hard way

and for the love of god, dont call canberra connect or the motor registry for advice as you will get something completely different from every person you talk to.. call 20 times and you'll get 20 different stories. i have done this more times than i care to remember. if you want painful, go to dickson with your pants down and your butt lubed... if u want easy, go and see your local inspection station. dont expect to pass first go as they'll still pull you up for stuff, but they have better things to do with their time than to make an example of you and your car.

as said before if the car is standard or basicly standard you can just get a normal rego check to go into act rego