Sign in to follow this  
Slipr33

Car Security

My s13 had a viper alarm, awesome.

My 180 has mongoose. POS. It always immobilises itself like 20 secs after you de immobilise it unless you start the car.

Also doesn't open the doors with button but locks with it. Just a shit system altogether!

If i was looking at the "Dynamco P385 alarm system" how hard would it be to add the turbo timer section in later on?

Anyone got a rough price for the P 385t model?

Ganna ring up and see how much it is to get pro installed

Is it hard to install central locking?

My 180 has mongoose. POS. It always immobilises itself like 20 secs after you de immobilise it unless you start the car.

Also doesn't open the doors with button but locks with it. Just a shit system altogether!

my old integra had a mongoose and so does my 180, they both good imo, aint no pos for me and my next car im still gonna keep using mongoose. the old integra had a lower version mongoose alarm and it had a button for lock and unlock, it was just there for the sake of having an alarm, the next one i had a higher up version, 1 button to lock and unlock so yes its annoying sometimes but after a week u can tell if the cars locked or not u get used to the beeps and the immobiliser sounds unless your a slow learner then meh. The 30 sec immobiliser does come in handy especially when you put your keys in ur pocket with ur alarm and walk off after locking ur car, might unlock it by accident if youve used the quiet lock, itll just immobilise after 30secs. Either way i find all of the features on the mongoose alarm useful especially the immobiliser one since ive set my alarm off or unlocked the car by bending over to tie my shoelace or crouching next to my car with the keys in a full pocket. Sht can happen, betr off safe then sorry and once u get used to it its 2nd nature anywayz.

my old integra had a mongoose and so does my 180, they both good imo, aint no pos for me and my next car im still gonna keep using mongoose. the old integra had a lower version mongoose alarm and it had a button for lock and unlock, it was just there for the sake of having an alarm, the next one i had a higher up version, 1 button to lock and unlock so yes its annoying sometimes but after a week u can tell if the cars locked or not u get used to the beeps and the immobiliser sounds unless your a slow learner then meh. The 30 sec immobiliser does come in handy especially when you put your keys in ur pocket with ur alarm and walk off after locking ur car, might unlock it by accident if youve used the quiet lock, itll just immobilise after 30secs. Either way i find all of the features on the mongoose alarm useful especially the immobiliser one since ive set my alarm off or unlocked the car by bending over to tie my shoelace or crouching next to my car with the keys in a full pocket. Sht can happen, betr off safe then sorry and once u get used to it its 2nd nature anywayz.

Yes, the most annoying thing about the Mongoose alarms is the 1 button lock/unlock. I dislike the beeps too, so I alwyas do silent arm/disarm. Also in regards to not being able to unlock with it, i'd say the install is bad.

The 30sec immoboliser is part of the Australian Standard which your insurance company most likely requires your alarm to follow.

Get a cyclops they're awesome.. Had one on my 32, cost me $550 installed it had everything ( sensors, turbo timer etc..) and I've heard and read that the FBI uses them so must be good lol also it's an Australian brand so support your country :P haha

Yes, the most annoying thing about the Mongoose alarms is the 1 button lock/unlock. I dislike the beeps too, so I alwyas do silent arm/disarm. Also in regards to not being able to unlock with it, i'd say the install is bad.

The 30sec immoboliser is part of the Australian Standard which your insurance company most likely requires your alarm to follow.

Install is most likely bad as far as locking yeah. Either way i just prefer the viper it was a better system in every way. But it was a more expensive model than the mongoose is, and newer etc. Each to their own i just hate the immobiliser thing. And it'll only immobilise ignition anyway so it doesnt give me peace of mind more so than annoyance.dry.gif

Install is most likely bad as far as locking yeah. Either way i just prefer the viper it was a better system in every way. But it was a more expensive model than the mongoose is, and newer etc. Each to their own i just hate the immobiliser thing. And it'll only immobilise ignition anyway so it doesnt give me peace of mind more so than annoyance.dry.gif

agree that it's annoying, especially when it's one button to arm and disarm. sometimes i'm not sure if it's armed or not then i press the button and lock the car. then if i press the button to unlock (same button again) without waiting a few seconds, it's the panic function and it starts the alarm warning which leads to alarm if i don't press the same button again within a few seconds (but not straight away because it seems to ignore the press).

easy way to solve this crap would be to have a button for lock/arm and a button for unlock/disarm.

it also feels like i have to hold the button down forever to unlock the boot. that needs to be a second or two shorter, like all the other cars i've seen with this feature. it kills the battery too.

i shoudln't have to think so hard when using the remote. the user should be able to press one button and then know that the car is secure. i'd have to say that the alarm is secure and soundly made, but the remote system is crap.

I ran the autowatch system in my old 33 gtst. Worked a treat. Never had a problem. And good quality parts... Definitely recommend

I'm running a Mongoose system on my daily and it has stopped at least 3 theft attempts.

I have never had it go off randomly, there is always a cause, even if its just the glass break sensor picking up a plane taking off (parked near the airport).

The only thing i suggest is that you make sure what they say gets installed is installed.

I've added central locking to my car since the alarms install and have found a few things weren't done properly, like immobilisers.

As it sits i can remove a fuse and still start and drive the car with the alarm engaged, but that will change once i fix the wiring.

As fo never knowing if its activated, just use the beeps or if you hate the beeps use the horn, or turn the perimiter nite-lite on, if the indicators stay on for 20sec then its safe, if they go off its live, simple.

Sounds like some people just need to have a read of their alarm owners manual.

I'm running a Mongoose system on my daily and it has stopped at least 3 theft attempts.

I have never had it go off randomly, there is always a cause, even if its just the glass break sensor picking up a plane taking off (parked near the airport).

The only thing i suggest is that you make sure what they say gets installed is installed.

I've added central locking to my car since the alarms install and have found a few things weren't done properly, like immobilisers.

As it sits i can remove a fuse and still start and drive the car with the alarm engaged, but that will change once i fix the wiring.

As fo never knowing if its activated, just use the beeps or if you hate the beeps use the horn, or turn the perimiter nite-lite on, if the indicators stay on for 20sec then its safe, if they go off its live, simple.

Sounds like some people just need to have a read of their alarm owners manual.

+1

If i was looking at the "Dynamco P385 alarm system" how hard would it be to add the turbo timer section in later on?

Anyone got a rough price for the P 385t model?

Ganna ring up and see how much it is to get pro installed

Is it hard to install central locking?

I would always go Dynamco (cyclops). I used to work for strathfield and that's all we fitted. They're good quality Australian made alarms with all the necessary features. (black wiring, 2 point immobilizer etc).

If you want the turbo timer part I would buy the model with it unbuilt as when you hit the lock/arm button the doors lock but let's the car run for 30sec or so before the immobilizer kicks in. Trying to fit a turbo timer to work with a normal alarm at a later stage would be annoying, I don't even know if it would work. I forgot the part number for the cyclops alarm with turbo timer, will be easy to find though.

As for fitting central locking, it's easy if you know how. does depend on the car, some cars are absolute bitc*** to fit as there's no space in the doors. The basics of it is quite easy though.

yeh i ended up buying a mongoose system for about $260 installed. I dont mind it but the central locking dosent have the best range

I saw a viper one that had a remote unlock and ignition you could activate from a smartphone. seemed like a gimmick but still kinda cool.

not 100% sure but i think you may need an alarm 'professionally installed' for some kinds of insurance.