Sign in to follow this  
Yo_Mang

Any Difference In Hydraulic Hand Brakes?

Hey all,

So looking around on the net for various things I always happen to see these hydraulic hand brakes which all look IDENTICAL! Same color, same size cylinder, same size bracket. Even the cylinders look identical in some cases,

But some are charging almost double what the other "brands are". They dead set apear to be exactly the same thing being purchased and the price bumped up!

I was going to ask this in a sellers thread then decided not to to not take away from their sponsors sale thread, but thought someone might have any ideas? Maybe they are made to look like each other, like fake Bride seats?

Theres a few who put their brand name to the product, but I don't see any brand stamped on any.

Any got any info? Prices and pics down the bottom.

D Project, K Sport and Blackwood Racing seem to have the same cylinder. MAD Automotive and Glow Shift also seem to have the same cylinder.

Cheers

Blake

"D-Project" - $299 Delivered

handbrake3copy.jpg

"MAD Automotive" - $250 + $10 Shipping

P8200807.jpg

"Glow Shift" - $199 + FREE Postage (With an option to offer a price to buy it for)

Drift-E-Brake.jpg

"Blackwood Racing" - $177.43 ($159.99US) + Shipping (Not Stated to Australia)

DSC01469.jpg

"K Sport" - $250US or $289US with braided lines already made to bolt straight onto an S13 + Postage

(Even though it's anodized a different colour, it still looks to be the same. I'm leaning to these being better as you have an option of including an install kit, and a choice of what size cylinder you want to use. Also the fact that K Sport is a well known and trusted brand)

2-1.jpg

I have never understood what the big advantage is with using these.

All look the same IMO

Agreed. Standard one works fine, just have good pads

Maybe some people prefer pulling it towards them rather than pulling it up.

I have never understood what the big advantage is with using these.

All look the same IMO

More reliable to lock up the rear wheels, no cables to stretch and have to replace after a couple of track days, just in general alot easier and reliable to lock them up

I guess for track car yes ok.

But for street car it's just wank

I guess for track car yes ok.

But for street car it's just wank

arent they illegal for street????

not that that would stop any of us lol

i was thinking about one for my 32 4 door.

cheers

jim

im in the same boat, looking for a hydraulic handbrake but need to convert my rear end to disc brakes first...FML. anybody know where to get the lines made up? or how to actually fit it to the rear???

There all from China/Taiwan/Thailand.. and probarbly all bought from the same distributor in the end it comes down to cost and the company who might honor a warranty incase something goes wrong :)

In saying that if KSport comes with the extra's factor them in to how much they would cost to get made.. If it works out then go with K-Sport, there is also an Australian K-Sport so you may aswell ask them if they can get it in for you.

they all do the same job and they all seem to be adjustable so that you can pull towards you or up. there 3 holes which you use to change. as above they all probably some form the same factory just branded differently. check the materials used for construction and also warrenty.

as said most of the time you get what you pay for.

actually

its not what you get what you pay for.

its what you pay for the brand.

just bought one from project-d. looks similar to the ones above. will let you know the results. :thumbsup:

marioman.... i agree with you sometimes your just paying for the name but the known brands normally have more R&D and use better materials for construction there fore reflected in the price

why are they illegal for street use? i'd be more inclined to go for k-sport, i'd rather know a brand than not in most cases that being said the option of an install kit is much easier too so long as theyre not jacking it up too much for it.

why are they illegal for street use? i'd be more inclined to go for k-sport, i'd rather know a brand than not in most cases that being said the option of an install kit is much easier too so long as theyre not jacking it up too much for it.

They are illegal because there is less chance of failure with a mechanical handbrake than a hydraulic one where fluid loss could cause a hydraulic system to fail.

Also for street if you just have only a hydraulic handbrake you can't park on a hill :P Hydraulic fluid is great at applying large amounts of force quickly but it is lousy at maintaining pressure

Pretty sure they are legal if you keep your cable handbrake in place. The hydro doesn't take it's place, it just taps into the line

Pretty sure they are legal if you keep your cable handbrake in place. The hydro doesn't take it's place, it just taps into the line

This. Just don't rip out the cable handbrake and you'll be fine