maiky-s15R

TOMEI arms M8270/ M8260 turbo

Just made 226kw @ 1 bar by Rob at ECC

This sat we'll put some more boost in it and see what it can do!

Cutting it fine for the cruise on the 20th man!! :) 226rwkw @ 14psi is alright... Mine made something like that on 14psi... touch more from memory, but your turbo wont reach peak efficiency till it hits 20psi I dont reckon..

any other results for the 7960? anothers15 - i asked in another thread as well but not sure if you've seen it...what supporting mods do you have? Just the usual z32, injectors and step 1s? When you see its a bit doughy down low..how much so?

any other results for the 7960? anothers15 - i asked in another thread as well but not sure if you've seen it...what supporting mods do you have? Just the usual z32, injectors and step 1s? When you see its a bit doughy down low..how much so?

Stolen from other thread-

My motor is fully forged with high compression, rebuilt head, step 1 cams (going to 264 procams), 740cc injectors, z32, nistune ecu, matching fuel setup (going to a bigger external pump with a surge tank soon)

Since getting the engine built and putting out 257rwkw I've broken a gearbox, but my new S14 box feels amazingly good... I got a Excedy HDDBC, Kind of wish I went for a super coppermix or an os giken twin plate, but then I'd be smashing gearboxes left right and center, and upgrading to RB25 box or Z32 box would result in smashing axles...

Having said all this.. Im considering going bigger.... I think its time to start looking at a 3076r twin scroll or something similar.. I want 300rwkw..

cheers for that. Not surprised he broke a gearbox to be honest. That's what i'd be most worried about...

My thread is somewhere.....

Mine made 231rwkw at 19psi.....with all supporting mods 555cc injectors and tomei poncams.....

my graph looks like my setup is lagging but 1st gear hoenstly is but 2nd gear 3rd gear etc is a lot of frikn fun! its slow up to about 7-8psi then jumps to 19 in ab out a second.....i can re post my graph if you like.

My thread is somewhere.....

Mine made 231rwkw at 19psi.....with all supporting mods 555cc injectors and tomei poncams.....

my graph looks like my setup is lagging but 1st gear hoenstly is but 2nd gear 3rd gear etc is a lot of frikn fun! its slow up to about 7-8psi then jumps to 19 in ab out a second.....i can re post my graph if you like.

Split dump pipe?

Thought I seen your car at ecc made similar figures but had boost problems because of split dump

any updates with this thread? just purchased a 7960 and was wondering where ppl were at with power levels..

Keen on one of these too, over a 2870RS. I want to keep my low mount setup though, car currently has a T28 from an S15 - will I be able to keep the existing headers?

And if not forged, how much boost and power can I safely run?

saad - yes you can keep your standard exhaust manifold.

If you're motor is not forged you can safely run about 16~18psi if you have the fuel system to back it up, if you're running stock fuel system, 14psi.. One of the guys at East Coast Customs has an internally stock SR20DET with a set of Poncams and a 2871R making 278rwkw...

old mate S15 - I have not seen a dyno readout from an M7960 with a better result than mine at 253.7rwkw @ 19psi.

Another S15 - That's great cheers for the heads up, am pumped about mine now. Do you think there is more to get out of it?

Yea I reckon another 15kw could be gained from bigger cams. I'm running 256/11.5mm hks step 1's.. with 264's I reckon 265-270rwkw is possible

tuned one of the M7960 yday - can definitely see limitations in the setup of this vehicle - has an old CES dump and i believe isnt expelling the wastegate gases quick enough - hence why boost doesnt stabilise itself until very late in the rev range at 18-19psi

am doing one next week with a tomei dump which i believe should catch the boost at 1 bar a bit earlier - then we can bring it on faster with the EBC to make more overall

pics attached of the one i did yday and also the one im doing next week

also doing a M8270 week after! will keep posted!

IMG_3713.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

Wow, awesome looking setup. Love the look of the Tomei Expreme manifold. Just out of curiousity, Which old style CES dump was fitted that caused the restriction? I was under the assumption that the long, split CES dump pipes were the best? As it seperates the wastegate gases and merges it back smoothly, eliminating turbulence.

I find it funny that this turbo and everyone using it have forked out on cams and other mods just to make 230-250kw. when a gt2871r with minimal mods (note stock cams) can make the same power :lol: we had. 480cc injectors, stock rail and a sard fpr, stock cams and a gt2871r .64 boosted to 17psi and we made 242kw@rw (ran a microtech lt10s for the ecu). and it was responsive as all f**k.

i just dont see the point...(in the smaller tomei/t517z? turbo). not a very good bang for buck setup...

retuning my setup on monday with bigger injectors to see what power i can make (on a tight budget of minimal mods)..

what is your injector duty cycle like with the 480's? and what afr's?

pretty sure it was maxed.....

engine didnt last very long from what i recall every engine that had those 480cc injectors with the 2871r..... i dont think lasted more then 1 track day

I was about to say, yeah you could make 250+ kw on a stock motor with bolt ons and small injectors, but how long will it last?

I built the motor because I wanted to, the motor is built for 350+ rwkw, but I opted for a smaller, more responsive turbo.. aiming for response rather than all out power...

Yes, with 264's or 272's and a 3071R twin scroll setup I could probably hit 300+rwkw with similar response to what I have now.. but, and here is the number 1 question... Why?

What can I not do with my responsive 250+rwkw that I would be able to do with 300+ and HOW is that going to affect my life in a positive way?

I can drop drop from 5th to 3rd at 100km and chalk the tyres leaving a lovely trail of rubber behind me... I can put pressure on porsche's across mountain roads... Im pretty happy..

maybe chalk 4th? :P id love to be able to chalk 3rd with just a squeeze of the pedal..

lol... Yea, being able to just mash the go button and light them up at 100+ kmph would be mad... Mine requires a drop to 3rd and a fair harsh clutch engagement.. but it opens the eyes of many a 3.8L V6 auto commodore drivers when they think their boat can out do me.. lol..

meh let them think their faster, until a slight bend comes up in the road :)

exactly...so the 480's are a waste of time then..and haha to the 3.8 v6 commodore drivers who think they are guna give an s15 a run :P not even worth wastin ur fuel on them

pretty sure it was maxed.....

engine didnt last very long from what i recall every engine that had those 480cc injectors with the 2871r..... i dont think lasted more then 1 track day

There was something wrong with the injectors, Hence now it has new 850cc injectors so it has plenty of fuel. :thumbsup:

I find it funny that this turbo and everyone using it have forked out on cams and other mods just to make 230-250kw. when a gt2871r with minimal mods (note stock cams) can make the same power :lol: we had. 480cc injectors, stock rail and a sard fpr, stock cams and a gt2871r .64 boosted to 17psi and we made 242kw@rw (ran a microtech lt10s for the ecu). and it was responsive as all f**k.

i just dont see the point...(in the smaller tomei/t517z? turbo). not a very good bang for buck setup...

retuning my setup on monday with bigger injectors to see what power i can make (on a tight budget of minimal mods)..

Can I put my race car on that dyno Neil?

Sounds like it puts out some nice numbers :lol::silly: .

2871R's make 200-225rwkw with stock cams on an SR. At the end of the day they are a tuning tool, people in this thread need to pay more attention to where their car starts making good power. Sadly the Tomei 7960 isn't overly responsive for what it is.

Ben

im retuning my car tonight so i'll upload a dyno sheet. it doesnt read high :rolleyes: as its been run up on two different dynos and .yes i know its a tuning tool. :thumbsup: its how it drives that counts.

Off another forum back in 2007

57INGAug 3 2007, 03:16 PM

I have a 2871 with the .64 exhaust housing on mine, its great, pulls boost from anywhere in any gear. Mine makes 242rwkw's with standard internals.

Sorry Tomei guys.

/end distraction

2871r, such a meh turbo...

Why would you get that when you can get a 3071 with similar spool and better band?