Sign in to follow this  
180SXXXX

Steering wheel shaking

Ive had a problem in the 180 for ages and ages= when I get to 100km and over the steering wheel starts to shake about!?,I thought it might be a slightly bent wheel but Ive just fitted new wheels and tyres,had them all balanced and wheels alignment all around but still has the problem.

What else would cause the steering wheel to shake like this?

check tie rod ends

do a search too, this question comes up quite often so if what i say doesnt work and u wanna fix it asap then just search

jack up front of car, check tie rod ends for wear

wobble wheel side to side and check for play

replace them, get wheel alignment... thats if they're worn.

also yeah since you've already balanced wheels thats eliminated that...

maybe do a pedders $15 safety check or whatever it is too while you're at it ??

Guys as I said in original post= wheel alignment was done last week and wheels were balanced 2 weeks ago but the problem is still there, only happens when you get over 100 kph though.

I'll have another look underdeath and see if I can spot anything,will also see if the wheels have play in them? ..oh yeh I am NOT running spacers either

wheels nuts done up properly? sounds dumb but you should check it.

A friendly tire place in penrith hand tightened the nuts on my evo for me once <_>

Worn tie rod ends, worn ball joints, wheel bearings, steering rack, poor wheel alignment, could be one of these or a few of them together. Do the hubs run true ? Take the wheels off and run a dial indicator/gauge on the faces the wheels bolt to, they could be running out.

Do you have hub ring adaptors on the wheels? Most aftermarket wheels are oversized and require hub rings to fit properly. I had the same problem with a set of Work CR Kai wheels on my 180

I have the same issue and a suspension place told me that my castor rods bushes are leaking would this cause this sort of problem?

nbailey: I've only noticed that during braking the steering wheel will shake if you've got worn/split castor rod bushes. Didn't notice anything under acceleration or cruising.

Worn tie rod ends, worn ball joints, wheel bearings, steering rack, poor wheel alignment, could be one of these or a few of them together. Do the hubs run true ? Take the wheels off and run a dial indicator/gauge on the faces the wheels bolt to, they could be running out.

what he said,

.....sounds like some part of your suspension is worn out

Aswell as whats listed above, I'd check castor arm bushes, and if they aren't shagged, make sure the castor arms are tight.

My car did the same thing at about 110km/h and would keep going until you slowed down to 50ish. Turned out it had been through roadie etc with the D/S/L castor arm loose as a goose. It did my head in until I went over everything in the front end.

Good luck!

Cazman - Where do you get said hoist time?

Do you have hub ring adaptors on the wheels? Most aftermarket wheels are oversized and require hub rings to fit properly. I had the same problem with a set of Work CR Kai wheels on my 180

+1, purchase hub centric ring adapters and it solved my problem, i was amazed lol.

+1, purchase hub centric ring adapters and it solved my problem, i was amazed lol.

he just said a few posts back he aint using spacers

get ya rotors machined. worped rotor will shake the shit out of your wheel bro at least thats where i would look

get ya rotors machined. worped rotor will shake the shit out of your wheel bro at least thats where i would look

+1 winthumbsup.gif