Sign in to follow this  
Pegasus

s14a Rat Rod

a modern jap car mixing it with rad rod styling just doesnt work

only old 1920s and 1930s cars look good as rat rods

eg

IMG_4051.jpg

Cut all your pillars and make all the windows shorter too :lol:

Some of the silvias getting around Adelaide could call them selves rat rods lol.. from what im seeing they just look like shit boxes with bad paint and rust? Am I missing something. Not sure why you would do this to your car. Buy a rusty shell put an engine in it and call it rat rod?

the prices put up are all legit , i work for the biggest car dealer in Australia and these are mates rates through my work place,

i'm looking for a rat rod/death race/ mad max/ tuner look its hard to explain. i'm just trying something a little quirky. i paid $5200 for my car with all it's bolt on mods again with mates rates wholesale value.... it was a trade inshades.gif dyno tuned at 208kw atw

i love that 180sx there it looks like Satans sleigh.....

and as for the rims, i'm not yet 100% on how to go about there styling maybe black with titanium dish?

body wise i am sourcing a vertex kit with canards with bolt on flared gaurds.

i want the "WTF" look something people will see and FEAR, i understand all you guys who follow the trend but really who do you wanna be a sheep who follows othere sheep or do you wanna be the scruffy wolf

to completely understand me you have to know what i'm into i love heavy metal and goth stuff, Zombie flicks, all things dark and scary i know you guys are thinking wtf1.gif this guys a freak....lol

do this

to bad it looks like arse

I think this looks mutha f**king bad as!

l_d6c7784a0e4f69f1f6368dfd4ead880d.jpg

l_fcee04baccc861e9ea741b698aa68e3b.jpg

But instead of "Graff" actually do a decent pin stripe job...

It seems the whole "Rust" and "Heavy Metal" look will play a part in order to get that Rat Rod style, if you look on Speedhunters...

(00)skyline(00) got it perfect, the s13.4 might be a bit of a pig picture it with straight well gap'ed panels, now a low clean s14 with a mint satin pin striped finish, owner will obviously add his own touches there on.

To stay true to culture with wheels consider these things,

Small diameter and very wide, black or coloured centers with chrome outer or even chrome centers with black dish, large wheels may work in black but big chrome 19 inch dinner plates won't.

Experiment with a chrome grill too, maybe mirrors if you don't do them totally in chrome

it could work, but 19" purple chrome wheels are definitely not the rat rod look, they are the sex spec look. you'd be better off with some wide 16"s.

also interior work wouldn't really fit in either

That 180 nailed the deathrace look. The 13.4 looks pretty badass too gets a bit scrappy from side on though IMO.

I agree with not going ahead with the 19" chromies, it would only detract from the car and wheels and stance make a massive difference in the overall look of the car. I think the satin paint is a good merge of old and new which would help to tie it in more as previously stated an s1 front would adapt better. S14a is very jap looking so IMO you should try to merge the more modern styling with the oldschool rat rod look rather than just get a modern car and dump an old style onto it. It could turn out badly.

Maybe get some smaller 16x9s or 10s if you can find them dished, older style jap rims maybe some matte sprayed ones like watanabes or something. or go for a classic muscle car wheel, you're going to have to find a way to fuse the two styles even just a little bit or you'll likely just end up with a Silvia that looks like it fell off the back of the boat.

what you think about these kinds of rims?

i like the black rims but imagine them with purple insert's instead of orange?

just have to see how wide i can get these things 10" rear, 8" front

or maybe some mettalic Purple DrifTeks but for the old school look them pink ones in matt black with purple lip

post-78730-12865808762369.jpg

None of those rims suit the rat rod style at all. The pink and purple ones are pretty much just street/drift style and the orange & black ones are more showcar style.

It's good to see people doing different things in the car world, but it sounds like you're trying to mix hot rod style with sex spec and that is going to be gayer than an aids convention at Sydney Mardi Gras.

f**k all these haters, do it man... IF you get it right it will be bad ass!!!!

mate i'm nuts that's what it is.... if you lived in NSW you would see me hanging out in Newtown with all the othere "Special" people... LOL

ohhhh, one of thoooooose people. how many bottles of black nail polish do you have?

if you want rat rod you have to do things rusty, rough, tough, rugged, do things like trim your seats in canvas or exposed leather with rivets not stitching. Think like broken but welded up and undercoated but not painted yet.......... think like farm equipment and old neglected cars or go for a walk through some wreckers that stock older cars and look at what "damage" time has done to them and try to copy it. Hell you could fit wire wheels or centreline wheels like muscle cars have and copy the rough muscle car style. But anything polished or chrome will look out of place and confuse the style your chasing.

After watching this ...

i think you need to do the following :

1. Cut the front off your S14 from the front of the windscreen and replace with a 4 post box frame holding the engine infront of the car so that the engine is showing from the sides at all times.

2. Run 1000mm spacers and have huge truck tyres on the back painted white

3. Your exhaust coming out the side of the engine "box" area and running along under the passenger side of the car - then finishing out the back to still make it road legal.

4. Cut the roof off the car completely so that the cabin has more of a bucket / bathtub feel to it ... maybe weld the doors shut for rigidity.

5. Instead of a front bar - just have the radiator as the front most item on the car - then loosely add some 6" round lights as headlights.

6. Paint flames on it.

7. Have a chrome skull somewhere on the car.

:ph34r:

Honestly I think u should just save ur money and do basic mods, this kind of unique stuff is for guys who've already had ordinary well modded cars and want something new but know how to make it work.

(00)skyline(00) got it perfect, the s13.4 might be a bit of a pig picture it with straight well gap'ed panels, now a low clean s14 with a mint satin pin striped finish, owner will obviously add his own touches there on.

:)

You got pics of how it looks now?

I would like to see it.

The 13.4 looks pretty badass too gets a bit scrappy from side on though IMO.

That's how I would have done it, but no "graff".

May go a few off colour patches.

rat rods are car just build to move. no frills. no pin strips.

remeber watching something bout em a few years back and pretty much the guy who first started the look didnt want to spend the money on paint when undercoat works. his first had cheaps wheels, paint, rough body the rest of the money went into the engine and that was it.

why not try for the tuner rod look....

If you do this to your s14 - I will do it to my Soarer ;)

i think if you want a "rat rod" you're going the wrong way around it, the way you decribed what you want to do sounds like a homo autosalon spec car.

this

what you think about these kinds of rims?

i like the black rims but imagine them with purple insert's instead of orange?

just have to see how wide i can get these things 10" rear, 8" front

or maybe some mettalic Purple DrifTeks but for the old school look them pink ones in matt black with purple lip

that is far from the old school look. 4wd steelies drilled for 5x114.3 painted matt black would work well, or some of those solid centre drag wheels

Seriously just go buy a shell, leave it rusty and paintless or rattle can it, wheels, engine, drivers seat with gutted interior, exhaust and screamer out the door, done. But that just sounds like the average drift pig, so meh I dunno.

Why you would destroy what you describe as a decent streeter is beyond me.

i can see this just ending up like your average drift pig..

also i think people get confused about rad roads and hot rods what most people define as hot rods are 9/10 time just fiberglass kit cars with new gen 3 engines put in them

the true hot rods are rad rods with old cars peiced together from junk with old motors and stuff.

this is the thing kids were doing back in the 50's and are the true hot rods not fibergalss kit cars that are made to look like old cars but have aircon and all the features with efi and shit....

if you wanna know what im on about watch the series rides with the episode about rad rods they explain everything.....

Everything sounds like it might end up ok, except for the rims.

Ditch the 19inch chrome and go old school or 4x4 rims in low offset.

Sounds more Ed Hardy than Rat Rod.

Patina is earned not made, btw.