Sign in to follow this  
scooby36

Option1Garage / Signature Performance OUTLAW Sil80 Racecar

cheers protius, i like the idea of the smaller turbo's early spool. really like getting on and off the gas pedal rapidly and having the power somewhat immediate.

yet to drive a car using a 2871 / GTRS that doesnt feel doughey compared to my little t28.

so with the disco potato, looks like the best deal is $1200 from paul - street to track. unless i can get one elsewhere cheaper?

yes ash the FZ201 is the only proper tyre iv driven on so cant really compare to anything else ! very sticky and lasting well i guess?

IPRA looks like great fun, is it true that the rules ban rose jointed suspension? must be expensive to build adjustability into the suspension setup?

plus the turbo restrictor, not that big a deal. any other finicky rules associated with running in ipra?

Great read and videos :)

How did you resolve your heat issue? It didn't raise it's head with the new front end?

I'm asking as I'm also baking on track by about lap 3.

I've ducted my fmic->rad and added an oversize water pump pulley with no success yet.

Am about to add an underdrive crank pulley (power bond race) to hopefully stop the pump cavitating.

Next step will be a Davies Craig ewp if that doesn't work.

I'd like to know more about those federals too - are they street legal like an R888?

I noticed you have your plates on, or do you switch wheels at the track?

What is the wear rating?

The diy aero is great work!

cheers tinto :]

yea opening up the airflow with the silvia front helped.

if youre still running the stocko you could try a bigger ebay radiator for about 200.

i havnt mucked around with different pulleys as yet.

in the 10 lap races water temp peaked at around 110-115 and oil was up at 125+

the last few events i have just slapped the semis on the day before and driven to the track on them.

not sure on the legality, they are dot rated but say 'competition use only' on the side shh.

not sure on the treadwear but itd be under 100, 60 maybe? mine are lasting well considering the punishment im giving them.

killin' it Callum... you put so much time and hard work into this being out there so often, cant wait until you have more power it will be a whole new game

cheers gfunk :]

got my 'f**ked' 2860RS + 740cc in the car, retuned at EFI performance

tuneAPR11.JPG

pretty happy

then drove yesterday at the topgear race at QR, despite still not feeling 100%.

was very cool to race on all the different layouts. Sprint was mega tight and hectic, clubman slightly less so, and national is great for big drafting + braking battles.

Qualified 6th on the national track, scrubbing in new tyres with a 1:22.60. Unfortunately one of the fast cars, an EL Falcon V8SC broke something and was done for the day.

For some reason instead of everyone moving up to fill the vacant spot, it was left empty? which is very weird for a rolling start when 1st and 2nd are line astern. Raised the point with the officials but they stayed firm. strange.

Race 1 Sprint -restarted after a couple of cars spun off. Video shows the restart.

Tony powers round the outside of me on turn2 with awesome speed, then has a tankslapper into the flip-flop which causes some of us to back off for safety... while others pounce :]

So, lost a couple of spots to Chris's FD and Garrett's aussie racecar. Next lap Garrett runs wide and paints my car with mud, while up ahead Garys evo goes too deep and allows the 2 RX7's past.

My cornerspeed is somehow better than the aussie race car and i get past in turns 1 and 2. Begin chasing Gary's evo as some light rain starts to fall.. but wont be noticeable with hot tyres.

His tyres begin to overheat and on the last lap I take advantage of his error into turn3 to move up back into 5th. awesome fun, best lap of 57.73.

Race 2 Clubman -

Clean start, begin chasing Garys evo again. Garret goes under me at turn 6 early on but i just drive past with power.

Garys evo begins to overheat its front tyres and on the 3rd lap he runs wide on the exit of 2 and i move inside and brake hard off-line to get it stopped to take away his apex.

Run home from there for 5th again with a best lap of 60.04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoiVVUUk2xI

Race 3 National -

Poor start saw me swamped by mazdas. Seems like Tony's lost power on the exit of turn 3 and i got through. Then had one opportunity to attack Chris and Gary who were fighting at turn 6, but mustv got a bit excited and spun the tyres, and that was my chance gone. Gary had sorted his tyre issues and held 4th ahead of me.

Race 4 National - handicapped release.

Somehow Gary and Tony started ahead despite having turned quicker laps than myself earlier in the day. Chased Tony around and put him under a bit of pressure, then sadly his FC spluttered and ran out of fuel.

The lightning fast cobra caught and passed me, then in the last couple of laps i managed to catch and pass an MX5, aussie racecar, serious laser and commodore to finish 8th. fun :]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOHhOidtfv4

5626009683_c057e097c5_o.jpg

5626582916_6e303ee799_o.jpg

cheers tiit for the pics!

That's a seriously impressive sprint time, well done.

Simply sensational Callum! Well done on getting out there and racing at the track.

I bet you get alot of enjoyment and satisfaction fanging your sil80 at every opporunity. Not to mention mixing it up and beating more expensive and fanciful machinery.

Love the video's and pics, top stuff!

May have been explained before so excuse me if I'm rude, but wouldn't the 180 front end help airflow thus shaving of milliseconds of lap time? Silvia front seems from a physics point of view more drag coefficient

cheers nismoman! yea feels pretty awesome and driving it lots is improving my driving confidence bigtime.

wheres your build thread man! make one just like this! do ittt.

yes lsx, without doubt the big square nose of the s13 is not as efficient but i need all the airflow i can get for cooling. old 180 front end used to overheat after 3 laps on a cool day, couldnt get a rhythm driving like that.

Keep up the good work dude. Sweet rig btw

Ah yeh figured the 180 front would tackle all avenues (cooling, looks and air flow) but i guess not. I love this car showing it up to the big boys

Alot of people underestimate seat time. Too many car owners are focused on getting their car modified to a certain level before getting out there and just driving.

Little do some people realise they need to improve their driving before improving the car.

I can see how racing with others for position is a totally different way of driving compared to a hot lap at time attack or a supersprint. Plus you have to manage your tyres and brakes over the course of the race. Do you find that challenging?

It must be tempting to go all out for 10 laps but if you do, you have no grip or brakes left!

Build thread for my car? I started a topic ages ago which is kind of a build thread found here:

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=256960

:]

nice Mark. Yes on the seat time... People have a fear of speed and think that spending money upgrading is somehow going to make it go away.

Agree totally, theres no substitute for exploring the limits of your car in its current state, and only upgrading when a weakness is realised.

yes racing with other cars around definitely changes your priorities, its actually not the greatest for improving your 10/10ths lap speed because you're focusing on the cars around you.

Braking a little earlier because running deep could cost you a position.. for example. I am lucky that my car is able to run for 5 laps no worries in terms of brakes and tyres.

10 laps at irace was a definite challenge in terms of managing engine temps.. short shifting and coasting helped a lot there.

Really recommend giving it a crack if your car already has a cage. just keep in mind the risk of contact is always there i spose

ALSO

sbs speedweek coverage of race 4 from irace :]

http://vimeo.com/22078749

Added turnbuckles to make the front splitter height adjustable.

New tyres made the ride height much taller so the splitter was miles up off the ground.

Another factor is that my driveway is a bit of a challenge with this thing on so now i can tuck it up for the drive out then drop it down once i arrive at the track.

Bit of a test this sat at lakeside, will hopefully run a good number :]

splitup.JPGsplitdown.JPG

UPDATE: doh, car misbehaved all day.

kept losing spark on cylinder no.1, changed EVERYTHING... plugs, coils, ignitor, loom.. looking towards ECU or the part of the loom that connects it and the coilpack loom. GRR. thanks heaps to JARREDSX for bringing all the gear to try! far out what a day.

managed a couple of 58.3's on the couple of laps where the car behaved doh.

update again, have unplugged and replugged the ECU and the problem seems to have gone. WTF.

ALSO

sbs speedweek coverage of race 4 from irace :]

that's awesome! You got plenty of coverage there too.

May have been explained before so excuse me if I'm rude, but wouldn't the 180 front end help airflow thus shaving of milliseconds of lap time? Silvia front seems from a physics point of view more drag coefficient

aero is often counter-intuitive. Frontal area of the car is the same with either front end. The sloping 180SX nose will accellerate the air over the bonnet which causes lift. Higher speed air has lower pressure. The flatter Silvia bonnet doesn't do that, so its probably an advantage in higher speed corners.

cheers hrd !

splitter v2. bit beefier than the original, hopefully i can get it out the driveway.

topgear race tomorrow at lakeside, will update afterwards.

new1.JPG

new2.JPG

update:

253556_2154745153264_1385503745_32534033_562866_n.jpg

good day today at lakeside, qualified on pole with a 57.61, and managed to hold off a very fast evo to take my first win in race 1. bonus PB of 56.96 as i ran for my life to get away from him :]

race 2, evo was owning me under brakes and i ran wide at karussel and he got through. came back on to hang onto 2nd place.

perspective from Matt's FC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PriPYgMDtuc

race 3, evo starts from pole and no opportunities open up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqhTwXiOwF4

race 4, handicapping was miles off, finished 11th lol. oh well at least the slower guys got trophies for once.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XExraaCFa70

off to europe now, back in a month (Y)

back from a month away, had an awesome time :]

arrived friday, racing sunday at morgan park. was kinda sick, not feeling 100%

race 3 - not that exciting, but felt like i was driving alright

race 4 - brakes were feeling a bit average. gave them a quick bleed beforehand, burnt myself with hot fluid lol. 3mm of pad should be plenty for a race distance yea?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KayLXtdG4nQ

got to lap 7 and ran out of pad. nearly ended in tears. everything well and truly toasted.

254604_10150253598131107_553821106_7671833_5065828_n.jpg

rotors have been saved so thats good.

had spare pads sitting there but didnt want to go through the bedding process mid race, bugger

Good thread Mate. Jarrad forwarded me the link to it.

Awesome to see you giving Gary's evo a hurry up. He used to run sprints up here in Townsville.

I've nominated for the jap nats so be keen to have a yarn when I get down there.

Cheers Coop

whats up coop, cya at the jap nats !

good fun at QR last wednesday, cranked out a couple of PB's on sprint and clubman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KbjSDyo-A0

paul ruzic's time attack days are great value, 5 sessions in total and the early morning cool air was just great for horsepower and grip levels felt great too.

noticed my knock sensor lighting up occasionally during the last session, ignored it, pulled in and found a hole had melted through my shitty plastic intake pipe.

woops. most likely leaning out my engine a bit. still made plenty of power.

fixed it in the pits for the drive home, feels/sounds OK still. fingers crossed. time to get a proper intake pipe finally. hi jarred! lolz

japnats yesterday, good fun most of the day.

dad and a couple of mates helped me prep the car. Went a bit more extreme on the weight reduction, ditched headlights and a bit of other stuff.

24092011802.jpg

24092011804.jpg

321662_293962643953125_193280544021336_1389602_1539999289_n.jpg

thanks heaps to rob for this pic!

pgfoY.jpg

session 1 in the morning, new PB 56.89

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8mJclTpqFg

then the shootout,

officials released me into the path of another car on his hotlap, he gets distracted by me being there, spins and nearly hits me, i busted my splitter, digging it into the ground in avoiding getting hit.

biggest brown moment of my life seeing the out of control car growing rapidly in the mirror. prolly came within a meter or so?

feel sorry for martin aswell, he is an excellent driver, have never seen him make that mistake there, it was purely distraction at the fact that I was on the track.

thought it was a bit strange to be released but had my mind pretty focused on the task and just did what i was told.

oh well at least the car is in one piece.

awesome fun giving the big spenders something to think about anyway (Y)

got some new wheels for the street

299328_10150335971776107_553821106_8309419_1818613533_n.jpg

hell everyone bumps their own thread with boring shit like this so why not

Looks good, I thought this was a pure track car? How often does it get a run on the street?

cheers, 4.3 diff goes alright, brings on the shift light at about 220 but i only get up to 205~ at lakeside.

so no worries until i go to eastern creek or philip island?

I was running the 4.3 in my old car, deffs bangs limiter at 220/225 which is a pain as Barbagello is a track which you can easily reach 240-250km/h.

wat ^ thanks

yea i take the aero off when im not racing and drive it for fun. keep myself sharp in the car between races

couple of pics from last topgear round - thanks to spencerphoto !

spencer - win small.JPG

spencer - slide small.JPG

Edited by scooby36

TopGear 6/11/11 - managed to take out the points championship for the year on sunday with a 3rd, 4th, 4th and 10th in the handicap which wasnt entirely fair! ie, faster cars started ahead of slower ones

onboard, tried to cut out the boring bits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSZjzkMBg_o

Edited by scooby36

Great video and congratulations on the championship win.

That Torana looks crazy on the track, looked like he and the RX7 rubbed against each other at one point too.

Sign in to follow this