scooby36

Option1Garage / Signature Performance OUTLAW Sil80 Racecar

biggrin.png cheers fellas.

2nd HT day yesterday, P1 overall, couldnt match my pace from last time, bummer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6nfzgosSfM

+rad pics thanks to Kaul

258592_10151064033321107_873031592_o.jpg

412399_440158442673573_1632617080_o.jpg

pretty close :] health n safety anyone? :] inside a fast slidey apex, bit dangerous but all sweet

Edited by scooby36

Whats with the ariel up were you listening to classic FM? :)

He was cranking some One Direction when I was driving beside him. Bit gay.

nah 24/7 beibers greatest hits

yea its truly fuggin jammed now, can hear the motor spinning but was like pushing down with enough force to bend the panel and it still wouldnt budge.

Will FM still work if i just have a length of antenna cable inside the boot or something?

nah 24/7 beibers greatest hits

yea its truly fuggin jammed now, can hear the motor spinning but was like pushing down with enough force to bend the panel and it still wouldnt budge.

Will FM still work if i just have a length of antenna cable inside the boot or something?

wouldn't take long to get through his "greatest" hits lol

loving the simplicty of your car that still gets great results, really shows how overboard alot of people go with builds

Awesome thread mate! Love the S chassis! If I was you I'd go a custom weld in cage. Depends on your height as well. I had issues with my bonds cage as i'm 187cm and my helmet was hitting the roof bar and side bar. Ended up cutting them out and having custom ones fitted up. Also look at going moly if your budget can afford it as you can save close to 30kg's out of a full cage! Once its caged you can get rid of a lot of weight too. Mines down to 1019kg atm and i still have full glass.

:D thanks heaps dudes ! still waiting on a final decision on my cage. hitting head on the crossbar would be mega off putting when relying on your inner ear for balance.

Dont think my budget will cover moly, after this big spend i just wanna drive it for a while.

Good news re. recent missfire, compression test at Option1Garage returned 150~ psi on all four... says a lot for my good old 170,000 kay motor :]

little bit of shaft play on the turbo was noticable but who cares.. changed fuel filter, ran injector cleaner through it...

Finally Solved with borrowed coilpacks - thanks jarred! and closing the plug gap down to .7 - running sweet again now.

Thanks to gktech.com.au I'v replaced the crappy old suspension arms and finally got some rear camber adjustment.

New caster, rear camber, rear toe... and eccentric bolt eliminators which made up a big chunk of the 1.4KG weight saving on the camber arms.

installed.JPG

comparison.jpg

castercompar.jpg

Edited by scooby36

Another quick update - Thanks to O1G again - had the car up on the hoist today to fit the remainder of the GKtech parts - eccentric bolt eliminators for rear toe, and an alignment - rear camber is finally achieved for the first time since owning the car, hehe.

Also was a bit suss on a knock from the front end under lateral load... had known this dust boot was rooted on the leftside balljoint for a long time now, but not until taking it off the car did i discover just how stuffed it was.

plenty of sand/dust mixed in with the grease, was loose in its 'home' position and would bind up past that point. so yea, check your ball joints peeps

dustboots.JPG

Edited by scooby36

It amazes me how fast you've been going with standard suspension arms!!

You should notice a big improvement now you can set rear camber and toe.

Its amazing you haven't adjusted the suspension before yet have done so many races!!!!

Just goes to show what can be achieved with a relatively cheap and simple car!

When's the next time out? Should feel a sh!t load better!

a month away from the next race meet at lakeside

Got busy pulling the old halfcage and dash out, dropping the car to STZ tomorrow, things are finally happening :D

456638_10151077628536107_491196680_o.jpg

Edited by scooby36

Going weld in cage?

I assume your rear camber would have been around 1.5-2 degrees before the arms anyway? Hopefully it was, or I might be in trouble :-p .

haha yes, weld in....

found an old alignment sheet and it was around -2~ beforehand, sheesh it needs a lot eh

lol youd get in trouble... what for!

Edited by scooby36

I run about 1.75, bit more on the left, bit less on the right.

Hopefully you don't go too much faster, or I'll never be able to keep up.

It amazes me how fast you've been going with standard suspension arms!!

You should notice a big improvement now you can set rear camber and toe.

I believe the scorch car has some standard arms Dumhead has his head under it most of WTA!

Looking good man just got my lockout bolts from GKTech today as well actually.

pointless bump, picked up my new rubber from http://www.hornityres.com.au/

might be a bit harder than the hankooks but will hopefully last a bit longer, correct camber should help. -2 or -2.5 dya reckon? opinions plz on what you guys run for best rear tyre life

574997_10151100671746107_1823844333_n.jpg

Edited by scooby36

Man I'd heard the hoosiers wear down quicker than the hankooks, also heard they were a quicker tyre. Not that you can believe everything you read on the internet!

You shouldn't need to go over 2 degrees on the rear I wouldn't think. I need to get onto slicks once these Federals wear out.

How's the cage coming along?

mase, these hoosiers are apparently harder. so might not be as fast.. but will hopefully last longer. i will make an effort to drive them straighter with less sliding on exit.

cheers sam - still reckon i need more camber after how bad i killed the last set :

Went to STZ and had a look on friday, cage bars are all cut up ready to go, plates welded onto the floor, hopefully be done later in the week :]

3 weeks to round 4 lakeside... pumped much :D

How many meetings did you get out of the last set? I assume they were Z214 mediums?

I will definitely be racing QRDC this round :D

try 2.5deg with a little toe in each side, say 0.5mm. you start to go much.more with camper and you have issues with traction although you can adjust the damping down on the rear to get some more coming out of.the corners by playing around

yea sam, z214 mediums. got about 280 laps on the tyres so far, and theyv lost about 2secs of pace around QR. 4 meets.. not that great. so yea wish i hadnt killed them so fast.

tire rack has been banned from selling them. cough http://www.racetiresdirect.com/

yea boxhead thats more like the numbers im thinking of.. will check tyre wear closely and adjust to suit. gotta be somewhere between 2 and 2.5

update: cage completed thanks to Mich and Marty STZ automotive, now trimming dash and sticking it all back together. Has removable side intrusion bars with camlocks to try and keep it legal

220889_10151106293501107_101711908_o.jpg

+ more progress, interior going back in.. thanks heaps to Nick who came and helped out :] then took it for a bit of a road test

324331_10151108242611107_742616267_o.jpg

Getting ready for QRDC lakeside - came up with this spring solution to try to stop bending splitter rods

622708_10151123289521107_165267815_o.jpg

Edited by scooby36

really like the overall look of this car.

good to see it being enjoyed too

Thanks dudes ^ biggrin.png

Good fun on the weekend for QRDC Round 4 at Lakeside. Friday practice wasnt looking too good, car was down on power... lots of headscratching finally resolved thanks to Nick who saved the day by running home to grab his leak-checker, finding the silicone pipe coming off the turbo had split. Flipped it around and went out and ran a 57.2 on the new tyres on the cool track before the rain came.

On Saturday a small issue (stupid air filter fell off) and lots of traffic in qualifying put us P5 on the grid with a 57.8. Race one was intense, with a couple of faster cars having issues and we finished P3. Race 2 started well, hassling the top3 cars in the early laps before POP went a coolerpipe and i caused a caution delay as i was towed out of the way - sorry to the other drivers. Traced the problem back to find the wastegate line had suffered from heat and perished, snapping off and the car was freeboosting - no wonder the power felt great!

Thanks Mark Jones:

561856_508465652514813_1795259840_n.jpg

Thanks Mark Pryor photography: - more here

383562_413073825418008_1694803651_n.jpg577090_10151129584471107_362900500_n.jpg

Race1

http://youtu.be/gNBtFYQhyKE

Race2 - strong start before popping coolerpipe -

http://youtu.be/7TV0KYiUrZA

Sunday - Sorted car issues, regained some control of boost levels! Started from rear of field - p16 in race 3 for the first time, was very interesting.. most cars were good in letting us through. Made it up to p5 at the end. Race 4, had a good battle with Sam until a small rear lockup into eastern loop opened the door for me to sneak through. Finished P4.

The final race is where it got interesting - the lead OzTruck driven by the american Ed (Real nice fella!) didnt properly understand the aussie rolling start rules, and took off too quickly before the grid had formed up in behind. This resulted in the 2 lead trucks being sent to rear of field and Mark Papps on pole with me beside on the front row for the restart. Very cool battle ensued - with the Trucks charging hard through the field and came very close to catching us at the chequer, finished P2. Great weekend, thanks again to Paul from Option1Garage, GKTech, my awesome pitcrew Nick- INCREDIBLE help beyond the call of duty - getting dirty and cameras !, Gabby for being my awesome pit girl through a long tedious weekend, Jarred for the loan of the wheels, Dad, mum and everyone else who came and said hello throughout the weekend!

gnarly helmet cam thanks to Nick's gopro's!

Race 3 - starts at 8:30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuCgRtAhS2Y

Race 4 - starts at 6:00

woops i have maxed out the links allowed: watch?v=jIwuqMZlwdc

Race 5 - starts at 4:40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS0l4wdLzUQ&feature=youtu.be&t=4m46s

Cheers Ross! : more here - http://www.trackphotos.com.au/p300142438

post-156917-1348389504592896414.jpg

Edited by scooby36

Cool videos as per usual thanks for sharing them. Out of interest was there a massive difference in the feel of the car with the new cage in?

Sign in to follow this