Sign in to follow this  
TheLostLegend

180sx water leaks

Hey guys ive recently noticed every single 180sx ive seen so far has rusting in the boot and around the hinges for the hatch mostly up the top near the hatch hinges though and im suffering from said problems but to the point where i have water getting into my car in atleast 2 places...

What im really looking for here is common spots these cars rust/leak water into the car once they get a bit older... the guy who owned this car before me obviously didnt look after this cars exterior very well at all and its a shame and instead of palming it off like he did i really want to fix it because i love this car.

Now ill let you guys know what getting and hopefully someone can shed light or a solution to this problem from there own experience or just from there knowledge. My car is leaking water in to the back of the car in 2 spots there is ALWAYS!!! a puddle of water in my wheel well after rain and it seems to be always getting into my interior aswell.

The very rear of the roof trim seems to fill up with water (only just found this out looking into pulling the roof liner off so if anyone knows if the rear is clipped up or glued up and can tell me would appreciate it) there was a small hole rusted through near the hatch but i filled that in with silicone and in light rain that worked but with the recent heavy rain ive now noticed it hasnt worked ive looked all around the seals and over the hatch and cant find any other leaks so if anyone knows common leak spots around the top of the window and places like that please tell me because i need to fix it ASAP.

The boot leak again im stumped i did notice it came in around the lights a bit at first so i sealed all that up and anywhere i thought it could possibly leak at all but its still getting in so i have no idea.

if anyone has or knows where i can get a new rear seal for the hatch door would appreciate that to heading into just jap on wednesday so hopefully they will have one or can get one if no one here has anywhere else.

Thanks guys any info you guys have will be awesome.

Easy way to find where its coming in (to be certain), sit in the back of the car and get someone to hose it. If you've got holes rusted through, you're going to need a better (permanent) solution, otherwise fish oil, silicone, silastic should fix up shitty seals.

i noticed this when i bought my car and washed in on saturday that water would get in somewhere run down the inside and come out where the seat belt retractor bolts to the c pillar.

so if you find out where the problem is let me know

i noticed this when i bought my car and washed in on saturday that water would get in somewhere run down the inside and come out where the seat belt retractor bolts to the c pillar.

so if you find out where the problem is let me know

you got same problem i got mate and i think ive found it but now i have serious dramas if im right...

for some stupid reason when hoseing the car no water came in but when it rains it does lol but anyway i pulled my rear window seal off and there is holes rusted in the bottom of the lip that the seal holds on to or at least it looked liked holes, so ive siliconed all that up but!!! there seems to be a something that looks a little more sinister i pulled the roof trim off at the back and got a torch up under there to find i may have rust all the way through to the inside just around the left hand sides hinge for the hatch so at the moment ive siliconed the hell out of the whole area to hopefully stop the water leak for now and a new seal has been sourced and should hopefully be making its way here from japan shortly $229 later cant beleive how expensvie it is for a peace of rubber

but so far thats what ive found i also have a suspision the rear quarter window may have a small leak in its seal aswell so there is even more money which is just !#$%in great not!!!

either way im looking for a decent quality panel beater perhaps with experience on 180's to goto now because im pretty sure this problem is worse then ive feared so mate id be going to get yours looked at aswell and do the same thing pull the roof trim off and have a look up underneath it around the hinges to the hatch pretty sure you will find its rusted out and that you possibly need your rear seal done aswell if its not looking to healthy once the silicon on my car dries ill blast the hell out of it with water again and let you know if it has stopped the leak or not

but test your car if you have same problem go wet your wat and run your hand hard along the rear clip on part of your roof trim and you will possibly find its actually full of water and it will run out down the side near your seat belt

farkin hope not. but yeah i noticed the bolt that holds the retractor is rusted so thats gonna be a shit to get to..

Common with 180sx, it's the rubber boot that the wires go through for brake light, wiper and demister just next to the left hatch hinge. Water gets in and rusts the C pillar from the inside out and then leaks on to your rear seats and pools underneath them.

farkin hope not. but yeah i noticed the bolt that holds the retractor is rusted so thats gonna be a shit to get to..

oh yours might be worse then mine was running down the outside of the C pillar not inside it lets hope you dont have rust in there... fark i hope i dont either now im more paranoid lol but i dont think i do i dont have any trims down it and i only generally saw water on the outside of it...

Common with 180sx, it's the rubber boot that the wires go through for brake light, wiper and demister just next to the left hatch hinge. Water gets in and rusts the C pillar from the inside out and then leaks on to your rear seats and pools underneath them.

thats not good... know where i can get a replacement rubber boot? because that is that it sounds like is happening in both our cars and i hopei dont have rust in the C pillar replacing that will cost more then buying a new car... i may aswell roll cage the bastard and turn it into a track car if thats the case

this is gonna be a bigger project then i thought lol

this is gonna be a bigger project then i thought lol

you and me both haha and just think i got two of these bastards haha hopefully i can get the jump on the other one before it starts to have problems tho

The boot leak again im stumped i did notice it came in around the lights a bit at first so i sealed all that up and anywhere i thought it could possibly leak at all but its still getting in so i have no idea.

Ok well my sil had a rust spot starting to form inside my boot LHS,

I sused it out and found out that my light had some cracks on it so that when it rained water would seep down through the light and into the boot.

I cant believe it didnt short anything but yea im glad i got onto it quickly.

All i did to fix was take the whole light out and re seal it with new sealant.

Better off getting a new light cause it will most likly leak into light cacing but im going to buy new Smoked ones anyway so i didnt bother for the time being.

Hope that helps.

Matt

well depending on how bad it may look i may as well turn the c pillar into a silcone sausage once i find out where the entry point is. lol

Ok well my sil had a rust spot starting to form inside my boot LHS,

I sused it out and found out that my light had some cracks on it so that when it rained water would seep down through the light and into the boot.

I cant believe it didnt short anything but yea im glad i got onto it quickly.

All i did to fix was take the whole light out and re seal it with new sealant.

Better off getting a new light cause it will most likly leak into light cacing but im going to buy new Smoked ones anyway so i didnt bother for the time being.

Hope that helps.

Matt

yup i had that one and fixed it already im pretty sure ive manage to buy a car with every leak a 180 can possibly have its shit lol

well depending on how bad it may look i may as well turn the c pillar into a silcone sausage once i find out where the entry point is. lol

lmao!!! perhaps we may end up in the same boat lol

ill let you know how goes and how much silicone is required to fill the c pillars LOL

im pretty game to do it tonight actually couldnt weigh the car more than 2 kgs

I have also got this leaking over the seat belt issue in my Type X. I find it mainly happens when I park with the cars nose pointing down hill. What I think is happening is that water is pooling around the rubber grommet for the wiring and leaking into the trim from there.

When I have a spare moment I plan to pull it apart find the leak then fill it with silicone of some sort.

check in your QTR panels for mud or water built up in them. i have found amazing amounts of dirt built up in there.

Hey mate, i had boot leaks in the 180 i bought. Same happened with my s13. It nearly always is caused by bad sealing in the tail lights.

I tried sealing without taking lights out and basically it just doesn't work and even if you think you've covered everywhere you'll still get water in there.

I took my whole lights and bottom garnish setup out, pulled all the old sealant and crap off, then foam taped where they go in and sikafexed the shit out of them before reattaching everything. Also as silly as it sounds, to stop water leaking in through the bolts holding the lower metal garnish in, silicon these bolts from the inside once you've put everything back in because theres nothing stopping water going down there and leaking through the bolt holes due to old or non existent washer seals there. If your big main boot seal is in tact which it most likely is then its going to be your lights causing this annoyance. You may even see water marks from the bolts in your lights its coming through which would verify this.

This totally solved my problem anyway thumbsup.gif

As for the other leaks that sucks, and good luck mate haha

many places that water can leak in when these things get old unfortunately

around lights, screws for lights, wiring grommets at top of hatch, seal around hatch, antenna

the thing that annoys me so much is that new rubbers are so expensive

u know what they say, it isn't good to use rubbers twice :)

Just found this thread and I have the exact same c pillar leak and water in the spare wheel well

Looks like I have some work to do this weekend :(

This post really helped, thank god for ns.com

check in your QTR panels for mud or water built up in them. i have found amazing amounts of dirt built up in there.

Seems to be the case with these cars apparently.

i have exactly the same problem. i only noticed this leak when my rear passenger footwell was flooded with water. from the initial looks, it does seem like the rubber gromet on the left side. what i dont understand is why always the left when the same gromet was used on the right. i pulled the roof trim off and noticed the clips holding the trim was all rusted & flaking. both left & right but only the left side manages to leak water into the cabin.

i also hear all this water sloshing around noise when i go past speed humps. fed my hand behind the rear left quarter panel from the boot n felt a pond! does anybody know where that water came from? i was feeding around inside the pond of water & felt a vacuum hose kinda thing which i realise was directed to the bottom for water to drain out (or so it seems) but the higher side doesnt seem connected. did nissan decide to run some water through a hose & drain it out from the bottom there? & does anybody know where that source of water was from?

anyways, after ripping that hose accidentally, i found a large amount of water coming out from the hole at the bottom which was good news =)

on the side note, i do see some sort of condensation around my battery @ boot & some very minor water build up on the wheel well. is that mostly from the rear tail lights?

i have personally sealed up the tail lights & the metal trim under including every nut & bolt. but still getting a very small amount of water in =(

When there is the necessity to have the things we get by checking them out with all manners. Thus it is to be noticed that assignment help service is giving the options that are here just to present all the opportunities to see.