Sign in to follow this  
Purple-monkey

macro lenses

Hey guys,

As I have already stated I am a fairly noob when it comes to photography and i have been reading up on some macro cameras.

Basically my lense kit comprises of the 18-55 f3.5-5.6 and the 55-250 f4-5.6, the basic twin IS kit.

I am looking into expanding my collection at the moment and buying some filters and a new macro lense and am making this topic to find out some information from you guys.

What I am wanting is a lense where i can take some real close up shots of some bugs, spiders, leaves. I have been searching the net for the last few hours and getting a fair bit of info, but I want to know your views on a nicely priced but half decent macro lense.

I would love the canon 180mm but it's a bit out of my price range at the moment so i was looking at the 100mm canon. However the tamron and sigma have a 180mm which is around the $1000 mark.

So what are your thoughts??

For $1200 get yourself the new canon 100mm L lens or for $650-750 the older model which is still one of the canons sharpest lens.

I have used the 180mm marco lens and its damn good, but sometimes too big and heavy. You will need a tripod.

If i was you I would get the 100mm L marco lens. Remember for proper marco shots you will also need external flashes (proper macro ring flash), as well as know about marco focusing. Look it up.

Here are some shots with the 180mm marco lens.

20100523113753_img_9180_resize.jpg

20100523181119_img_9175_resize.jpg

IMG_9234_resize.jpg

IMG_2658_resize.jpg

etc etc etc etc..

For $1200 get yourself the new canon 100mm L lens or for $650-750 the older model which is still one of the canons sharpest lens.

I have used the 180mm marco lens and its damn good, but sometimes too big and heavy. You will need a tripod.

If i was you I would get the 100mm L marco lens. Remember for proper marco shots you will also need external flashes (proper macro ring flash), as well as know about marco focusing. Look it up.

Here are some shots with the 180mm marco lens.

etc etc etc etc..

The 100mm was my preferred choice but i was looking over some results with the tamron and sigma 180mm and they take some pretty amazing photos. I prefer the idea of staying with canon because if I go to upgrade my thoughts are you would get better resale value on the canon then the other two.

You can really spend some money on those ring flashes. What type would you recommend with the 100mm lense?

I was just looking at the orbis ring flash that utilises your exsisting flash and 'supposebly' gives you some pretty good results. I would prefer not to spend 1000's on a ring flash just yet.

I shoot Nikon and have the 105mm 2.8, awesome lens, can actually be used really well for portraits too.

Shooting macro is a lot more difficult then it looks, definitely a good challenge :thumbsup:

I shoot Nikon and have the 105mm 2.8, awesome lens, can actually be used really well for portraits too.

Shooting macro is a lot more difficult then it looks, definitely a good challenge thumbsup.gif

I'm all for the challenge, I just really like those types of photos, so i want to learn how to do them..

You can really spend some money on those ring flashes.

or you could spend a little on some LED's and make your own for a fraction of the cost. wont be as good, but for most things you wouldnt notice.

Difficult????

Guys i think he owns a canon dslr.

yes a 500D, its nothing special but it is my first so im loving it

Get the 100mm f2.8 L already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He has anyone tried mounting their lens backwards to get the macro effect? I recently came across a magazine with a macro photocomp and two the entrants had used this technique. I'll try find some info and post it up

^yup lots of people do it.. esp the 50mm prime. Give it a try.

^yup lots of people do it.. esp the 50mm prime. Give it a try.

i think i might

i purchased a adaptor ring on ebay US for $4AUD delivered :o

or you could spend a little on some LED's and make your own for a fraction of the cost. wont be as good, but for most things you wouldnt notice.

heres a link to a diy, looks pretty good, im gonna give it a go http://www.diyphotography.net/diy-macro-lighting-led-ring

you can even mount a lens backwards on another lens and also theres extension tubes tubes that you can use

heres a link to a diy, looks pretty good, im gonna give it a go http://www.diyphotography.net/diy-macro-lighting-led-ring

you can even mount a lens backwards on another lens and also theres extension tubes tubes that you can use

thats a good DIY lighting article. i might have to do that also.

i ended up putting mt 2 x teleconvereter going into my revered 55-200mm and OMG the Macro is insane!

it focuses thsi close. will post the actual image shortly.

Image187.jpg

PS. i bought this for even closer image, around $7 deleivered

12511859411.jpg

Keen to see the pic.

here are some samples.

keep in mind the lens in just sitting in front of camera, not screwed on :P

the $10 note

DSC_1040.jpg

a flower

DSC_1048.jpg

My plasma

DSC_1033.jpg

thats a good DIY lighting article. i might have to do that also.

i ended up putting mt 2 x teleconvereter going into my revered 55-200mm and OMG the Macro is insane!

it focuses thsi close. will post the actual image shortly.

Image187.jpg

PS. i bought this for even closer image, around $7 deleivered

12511859411.jpg

you can actually buy ones with the electrical contact so you can still have auto focus etc. theyre around $50-$60 off ebay

12511859411.jpg

you can actually buy ones with the electrical contact so you can still have auto focus etc. theyre around $50-$60 off ebay

i will probably be mounting the lens backwards most of the time so for me not really worth it

Got a link?

Got a link?

nikon adaptor ring here on ebay

When I can eventually afford it i'll be going for a Sigma 150mm, only issue is finding a ring flash for it

Thanks green_pea.

Anyone spent $40 on one of those "fisheye" adapters? I really want a fish eye lense but cant justify the cost of it just yet.

Sign in to follow this