Sign in to follow this  
GFUNK

macpherson vs wishbone suspension

yo guys

im doing windows update so my pc will probably crash

Been reading about macpherson and wishbone and was wondering which one is better?

from what i understand macpherson is lighter and easier to adjust

wishbone looks heavier but more stable

for those wondering S models use macpherson and R models like skylines use double wishbone

Macpherson cambers in more theN wishbone through it's travel. Which have better king ping angles and more consistant tyre contact through steering.

Skylines don't have double wishbone, mx5's have 'a-arm' which is similar but not as refined.

-dan

Hey Caz,

I wasnt thinking of changing it, was just comparing.. its been on my mind for ages. I might do some reading at work tomorrow

LCD (dan) - man your a smart dude i cant believe you sold your S13, no more cool mods :(

double-wishbone is great for strength, but really only means a great deal for missiles and cars that are drifted real hard, where you're thinking about hitting walls, and planning on driving away, or fixing it in as minimal time as possible.

MacPherson / multi-link all the way. If you're going to mod a car with good coilovers, sway bars, bracing then this will be as sufficient as a good double wishbone setup. If the camber is set properly for the conditions as well as toe, track, etc then you will net more benefit from this with decent coilovers, sways and braces.

Scorched S15 in Japan uses multi-link and it's insanely fast, much faster than double wishbone RX7s that are competing with it on the Tsukuba track.

Hey Caz,

I wasnt thinking of changing it, was just comparing.. its been on my mind for ages. I might do some reading at work tomorrow

LCD (dan) - man your a smart dude i cant believe you sold your S13, no more cool mods :(

I have another s13, turbo this time. Check my build thread.

A well set up car will handle well, but a better suspension design will handle better with less comprimise. Look at merca and jags etc they are super smooth cars and still

handle really well for such big things. It's because the suspension design is better, more refined and developed by engineers on paper, not kids on forums buying coil overs and sway bars online...

-dan

Hey Caz,

A well set up car will handle well, but a better suspension design will handle better with less comprimise. Look at merca and jags etc they are super smooth cars and still

handle really well for such big things. It's because the suspension design is better, more refined and developed by engineers on paper, not kids on forums buying coil overs and sway bars online...

Not all multi-link suspension is modded by kids on forums though. are they...

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2010/02/25/car-spotlight-gt-gt-scotch-racng-s15.aspx

Macpherson cambers in more theN wishbone through it's travel. Which have better king ping angles and more consistant tyre contact through steering.

Skylines don't have double wishbone, mx5's have 'a-arm' which is similar but not as refined.

-dan

The camber control of a wishbone setup is far better than a MacPherson setup. And the amount is directly related to the difference in length of the upper and lower wishbones.

The MX5's setup is a double-wishbone setup. Double A-Arm and double wishbone are the same thing.

-dan

The camber control of a wishbone setup is far better than a MacPherson setup. And the amount is directly related to the difference in length of the upper and lower wishbones.

The MX5's setup is a double-wishbone setup. Double A-Arm and double wishbone are the same thing.

^^ Right on the money

I always thought the wishbone design gives grater camber on compression, so it's better for corners.