Sign in to follow this  
Bennybear

MY11 WRX

***Pics in OT latest purchase thread***

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=361059&st=1410

Hi all,

My wife & I share a car but I'm finding it tedious so I'm looking into getting another.

With the exception of the Golf GTI & the new MY11 WRX everything I have looked at thus far is pathetic. I would prefer to keep the budget under $50k but could probably stretch it if there was a good enough reason... The scope for this car is to cover my Monday-Friday work travel but has potential to expand into the odd spirited weekend drive.

Aside from dealers I can barely find any media on the new WRX - can anyone on here assist with an opinion? I went out to a dealership today to go for a test drive but the only model they had was sold; it was in the typical metallic blue with the nav/roof/leather package. I'm a fan after sitting in (the leather recaro seats are very comfy) and getting a general idea of the cabin layout; the Subaru guy was nice enough to start it so I could play with the stereo/controls and also had a chance to hear the exhaust which has a nice subtle little burble.

Any opinion/reference would be much appreciated; I can't deal with the 'hairdressers car' stigma of the GTI but as with any purchase I'd like to do a bit of research before committing.

All the best,

Ben

How bout one of the fpv's. They are a big car but still go quite well and have plenty of space.

^ I've considered it but I really cant warm to any of the Holden/Ford/Toyota offerings

V6 Passat, they are $60k, but AWD, roomy and would look sweet with some flush wheels.

Some cool little ideas - has to be new otherwise the R32 would be great (aside from the price tag)

Renault = little too stripped down (i.e. roll cage, no sat-nav etc)

Fiat = Couldn't do it, too small for my build (the GTI is a borderline fit)

Citroen = cool looking little car but again too small

Passat = didn't consider this one but they are nice cars; anything I get won't be touched as I'm not particularly into modifying. Is it really worth $60+k though? The cheapest optioned version I could find was $66k drive away...

Do the liberty, cousin just got a 2010 gt liberty (I think). Really, really nice.

I'd only go the liberty Gt out of all those suggestions good looking unlike the wrx , it has the power , the room and very versatile

$60K gets you the base My11 STi and they really are worth the extra money over a WRX

I'd only go the liberty Gt out of all those suggestions good looking unlike the wrx , it has the power , the room and very versatile

Have you seen the current liberty? :sick:

SUBARU-LIBERTY-GT-1469_l-600x400.jpg

^^Looks like a Holden Cruze with a bonnet scoop. The previous model Liberty was a thing of beauty.

I know you said you can't stand ford but my work uses only xr6 turbos and I have to say they are awesome cars for the price!! But with that said if I had my choice it would be a liberty gt like soo many others.. They are very comfortable cars and not too exxy for what your getting (turbo, AWD).

My 2cents

Currently liberty just reminds me of a camry and a maxima smashed together.

Digging up an old thread; I ended up going with the Subaru. Have placed an order for an MY11 WRX hatch in WR blue w/STi front and rear under lip spoilers, Bluetooth & the Audio upgrade. Due to take delivery mid March.

All the best,

Ben

Digging up an old thread; I ended up going with the Subaru. Have placed an order for an MY11 WRX hatch in WR blue w/STi front and rear under lip spoilers, Bluetooth & the Audio upgrade. Due to take delivery mid March.

All the best,

Ben

congrats!!! Im sure you will enjoy it!!!

Thanks guys - got word today that it should be ready in the second week of March; I'll update with pics then.

FFFF

Delivery pushed out to June/July for blue!!

Gave me an opportunity to re-think the colour choice; changed to white and they managed to find one that should be in Sydney by March 10th!

White should look the goods, I had a look at a white sedan @ the dealership and it looks great - is very pearlescent!

very nice. I love the white, the pearl makes all edges stand out.

white is a good colour it's cool when the sun is shining and it allways looks clean and wierd colours always run the risk of dating the car at resale time

:( 2011 WRX, can't tell the diff now with the STi version, both Wide body..

Good pick up though, I love the wide body wagon STi

How are they on fuel?

Back from the dead

6600km in

Haven't driven much as I've considered selling; my wife recently entered a role with a non-negotiable fleet car so I have adopted the A4.

I think I'll end up selling the Audi and keeping the Subaru - not quite at the point where I am happy to retire into luxury vehicles, still really enjoy the sporty nature of my little white hatch.

Re fuel, it isn't conservative by any stretch; average tank lasts about 450-500km. Spirited driving can drop this right down to 300ish; I've heard the basic ECU remap is fantastic for fuel consumption as well as a bit of power gain.

SOLD :(

Not to worry, A4 lease will expire in 12 months so I will go again - may consider STi or similar.