Sign in to follow this  
SPRIGGAN82

sr20det reliability

hi guys i got a red top sr20det and im looking to get 220kw - 250kw atw it will be my daily so what mods will i need to get that power but it has to be reliable i dont mind 200kw atw wheels but i'd prefer reliability so can anybody point me in the right direction of whats needed to make this a strong reliable motor

from what I gather on this forum in my own opinions.

Fuel system:

-Fuel pump(Walbro, Bosch)

-Injectors(550, 740)

-surge tanks & External fuel pump(may not be high on the list unless you drift or likes taking corners rather quick most of the time)

Cooling:

-Decent size FMIC and piping ( Hybrid, Trust, Blitz, ARC etc. depends on ur budget)

-Thicker alloy rad (Koyorad, PWR, Chinese spec etc. depends on ur budget)

-Good quality rad hoses

-lower rating thermostat (nismo)

-

Intake:

-Upgrade panel filter ( K&N, BMC etc.) or, upgrade intake pipe and a pod in an enclosed box

-upgrade turbo ( GT2871, GT3071, TD06-l20g etc) rear housing depends on ur pref of response or top end. get a set of braided turbo lines aswell I.E oil, water.

-decent size Wastegate of a good brand if you choose external type turbo

-upgrade BOV (Plumb-back, vent atmosphere)

Exhaust:

-Full turboback system with highflowed Cat ( X-force, JapBrand, Custom)

-Steam-pipe Exhaust manifold ( might not be necessary depends on ur turbo choice)

Electronics system:

-Boost Controller( MBC, EBC. depends on budget)

-Set of gauges I.E Boost, oil pres, water temp.

Computer:

-with Z32 afm ( Nistune, Power FC etc)

-Without Z32 afm, map sensor instead ( Motec, Haltech, Vipec, Power FC D-jetro etc. Depends on the tuner around ur area & budget)

ignition system:

-A set of Good quality plugs with proper gaps

Head:

-Camshaft( poncams, Easy cams, BC, etc.) A set of rocker arms stopper is a good idea too.

BottomEnd:

depends on the cond of the motor but stock internals should handle ur power goal. otherwise go full rebuilt with forged internals or stroked it if you got the cash.

Oiling system:

-Upgrade sump ( tomei, Greddy, Custom etc.)

-Good Quality oils and regular oil change.

I understand that other ppl might have diff opinions on setup so, if i miss anything or add unnecessary stuff on the list then, feel free to change them. that way, i could learn new things too.

^^^That list would be good for about 280kw depending on choice of turbo.

Basics requiered for 200-250

Turbo: T518z/2871r depending on your preference on brand. There are already epic discussions on which is better. Do a search.

Injectors: 740s, don't waste your time on 550s

Z32 afm with metal intake pipe, factory ones suck shut at these power levels

nisstune/power fc

good exhaust from turbo back

maybe cams, poncams or easy cams should get you the power you want. Rocker arms stoppers are pretty much a must if you plan to rev your engine

boost controller

good cooler, don't worry about bov, use the factory one but block off the recurc hole in the piston, there should be a guide some on the net

decent clutch and diff.

And a decent intank fuel pump

Everything else is not required unless your doing regular track days.

wow didnt realise i needed that much stuff lol maybe i should aim for bit lower power all good thanks for the info guys

wow didnt realise i needed that much stuff lol maybe i should aim for bit lower power all good thanks for the info guys

my sisters car, full exhaust, afc front mount, s15 injectors, rb25 afm and nisstune made 196 on 16psi. Perfect setup for a quick reliable street sr. And pretty cheap as well

Computer + tune, 3071R, cams, 740cc injectors, full exhaust, FMIC, Z32 AFM will make 250rwkw.

Also recommend RAS, BOV... you don't need all the stuff above... of course it's better but not vital.

I love it.

It's true you need to upgrade a lot, but quite a bit is easy to install for the DIY noob.

If cash is an issue (when isn't it), then hang around on eBay and the Sales forums here, buy stuff cheap and build a collection.

When you have everything, it's time to install!

i swear we should have a sticky saying

200-250rwkw, click here

300+ click here

and so forth. This comes up 5 times a week

haha'..yeah its quite a list, welcome to the world of imports. you just need to do it slowly so you can actually feel the diff one mod can do.

better question, why does someone need that much power for daily driving?

I understand "just because" but, why?

better question, why does someone need that much power for daily driving?

I understand "just because" but, why?

Traffic weaving.

For 240rwkw or so:

Z32 Air Flow Meter with metal pipe intake

Electronic Boost Controller

Front Mount Intercooler

high flow cat or de-cat pipe, 3" zorst.

Tuned length manifold with 3" bellmouth front dump

740cc Tomei injectors (best spray pattern)

Step 1 GReddy cams or HKS

Walbro 255 fuel pump

GT2871r 52 trim 0.64 A/R

NIStune

Looking at just under $7k

Otherwise go for the:

front mount intercooler

electronic boost controller

de-cat or high flow cat with cat back exhaust, 3"

NIStune or remap at least

All can be done for around $2.5-3kish, you'll have a little more response with the stock turbo too but much less pull compared with a GT2871R or the GT3071R.

I dont need that much power for the streets i want to do a bit of circuit and sliding so i want that power to be their when i go out

i swear we should have a sticky saying

200-250rwkw, click here

300+ click here

and so forth. This comes up 5 times a week

good idea should do it

I think you're looking at the wrong thing. By going with higher power more aftermarket parts you're going to reduce the lifespan/reliability of your car, not to say something will definitely happen, just something to think about. Trade-off between reliability and performance. Then again other factors like weather, driving, warming of engine would affect it too so who knows

I think you're looking at the wrong thing. By going with higher power more aftermarket parts you're going to reduce the lifespan/reliability of your car, not to say something will definitely happen, just something to think about. Trade-off between reliability and performance. Then again other factors like weather, driving, warming of engine would affect it too so who knows

i know dude thats why i wanted to know what power i can make and still be reliable i mean 200 250kw is that pushing it?

Most important, and first item to install for reliability is an ECU upgrade, and a tuner who tunes for reliability, i.e. power without risk of leaning out, or too high exhaust temperature, etc.

If you get an ECU with datalogging capability, you can check the facts, and not have to make decisions by the seat of your pants. By looking at your engine data, you may find that some of the mods listed by others are not required for your car.

Whenever we buy something we see its reliability first to check out all the important tings. All around the globe https://assignmentman.co.uk you will be able to adopt all the options through different surveys and guidelines.