Sign in to follow this  
180sxnit

Evo 7 and 8

Hi Guys,

just wondering does much go wrong with evos 7's and 8's? are they reliable providing they are serviced and not thrashed?

how would these cars compare to a gtr? in service costs/ wear and tear (im asuming both cars have been looked after)

not sure what car to get as a weekend car hence the reason im asking looking at s15/evo7-8/gtr not really a person that abuses cars just a squirt now and again and once in a blue moon maybe a track day

Thanks in advance

Ive never owned a GTR but ive heard they are quite expensive to service/modify..

As any car they will be reliable if you service them regualarly but just remember u have 3 diffs and the cost of servicing an evo does get up there with all the fluids etc..

I sold my Built motor 292rwkw S15 half way through this year and purchased an evo 8 GSR that in my mind is alot better car then the s15, the only thing i do miss is hanging the tail out there and getting abit sideways oh and my gate :(.. but if u plan to track the car eg circuit/time attack id reccommend and evo for sure mate cant go wrong..!

Depends on what your willing to spend? If i had the cash i would definately be going a r34 gtr v-spec 2. And if i had the cash for that i would save abit more and get the NUR edition. Hands down best car ive ever been in. Blow any evo away. Just a thought.

Depends on what your willing to spend? If i had the cash i would definately be going a r34 gtr v-spec 2. And if i had the cash for that i would save abit more and get the NUR edition. Hands down best car ive ever been in. Blow any evo away. Just a thought.

lol id pay to see that? :rolleyes:

abit different comparing a 100K+ car to a 25k+ car mate.. your way off the mark.!

Dont get me wrong i love the 34 GTR's but they got nothin on evos on the track..!!

I have driven evo9's and evo10's. Im telling you. R34 gtr vspec 2 NUR kills them. Keep telling yourself they wont just because you have a evo...............

I know the GTR's are quick but are u refering to straight line speed or on a track?

thanks for some replys guys keep em comin :)...

well i would love a r34 gtr but they are still around 45-55k

so my budget would be around 20-25k which would limit me to a.... S15/R33 Gtr/ evo 7

my reason for be very on the fence about a gtr is the oil starvation problem and the fact every owner says its not a matter of if but when will they pop, Thats fine i understand everything mechanical can/will fail but 10k for a rebuild makes me slightly dizzy

so what are the issues evo's face? any thing prone to failure?

ps. newjosh i saw your s15 for sale was a damn fine car

check for AYC pump and rear diff issues. Do some slalem turns - if you hear a disconcerting whining noise coming from the back - the AYC might be on the way out.

Clutches are prone to failure if the car is not treated well, eg. launched hard and often. Check for slipping.

The 6 speeds in IX's and some VIII's have weaker high gears. 5th and 6th can have issues if the car is driven hard

clutches are a prick to replace so it'll cost you more than your average car to replace one. Replacing a diff is an expensive exercise also. If the AYC diff goes, you can sometimes pick up a second hand one for a bit less. Most of the motorsport guys pull them out and replace them with aftermarket or RS mech diffs, so they turn up for sale every so often.

if it's got a full service history, all the better. If the diff oils aren't changed when they are supposed to be, that can contribute to AYC and ACD diff failure

best bet is to get any potential car you are going to purchase checked out by someone who knows Evo's. There are reputable workshops in every state, even a basic state roads / raa / whatever inspection will tell you a good deal about it.

Like any car it all depends how it's treated.

if you want a comprehensive list of owners issues for CT9A evos, there is a thread on evooz detailing reliability and issues. Starts at 2006 so it's a long read.

http://www.evolutionoz.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5171

thanks for some replys guys keep em comin :)...

well i would love a r34 gtr but they are still around 45-55k

so my budget would be around 20-25k which would limit me to a.... S15/R33 Gtr/ evo 7

my reason for be very on the fence about a gtr is the oil starvation problem and the fact every owner says its not a matter of if but when will they pop, Thats fine i understand everything mechanical can/will fail but 10k for a rebuild makes me slightly dizzy

so what are the issues evo's face? any thing prone to failure?

ps. newjosh i saw your s15 for sale was a damn fine car

Mate for that monney i would def get an evo 7/8 i went through the same drama. The R33gtr is just getting plain old now, the intereior and the whole car feels old, the evo is a 2000+ model car, just from the factory your looking at brembos, recaros, momo steering wheel. There very reliable and the main issues are the ones headlock stated, but as with any car you get one thats been treated well and you will be fine.

I had to exact issue when I was car hunting, had about 23k to play with and was looking at either an S15/R32 GTR/Evo7/RX7

It depends what you really want.

How much would you intend to drive it? Daily driven? Then stay away from a GTR

Alot of people suggest the Evo 8 over the 7 as alot of problems were rectified, this put me off the 7.

Eventually I found a neat S15 with goodies and then spend a few grand making it mine.

Hey mate,

so far ive owned a r33 GTR and now an evo 7 from your list.

Loved the r33 GTR, LOVED it but and its a BIG but, was f&*king expensive to keep! As a daily it was great fun to drive, fast, handled well, sounded great etc etc But it was getting to much to keep it running. Lets face it there getting old and have been around the block a few times, and id probably add been around the block driven HARD!

Mine had only done 65,000kms.

I owned the GTR for 2 years. In that time i rebuilt the engine ($10,000+) as it ran a bearing, had the 4wd system fixed ($1000s) etc etc etc

I now own a 2001 Evo 7. Its totally stock at the mo. I went for the 7 over an 8 as i prefered the look of the 7. (yep i prefer the 7s looks, feel free to have a crack at me!)

And for me its just as fun! Fast enough for the street, handles awsome and comfortable enough that it is my daily without a problem!

Fits 4 people with ease.

After owning this car i wouldnt bother going back to GTRs, unless its a 34 or 35.

With a few tweeks you can see good power from the evo. There are plenty of parts around for it. Lots of support and a good car community.

The evo feels much newer (well i mean it is 2001 compared to a 1995), feels less thrashed, feels like a brand new car.

IMO i wouldnt get another old GTR and S15s have never done it for me as i prefer something more sports car feel (4wd all the way!)

The evo is a quick street car and fun if you take it to the track...

my 2cents

Hey mate,

so far ive owned a r33 GTR and now an evo 7 from your list.

Loved the r33 GTR, LOVED it but and its a BIG but, was f&*king expensive to keep! As a daily it was great fun to drive, fast, handled well, sounded great etc etc But it was getting to much to keep it running. Lets face it there getting old and have been around the block a few times, and id probably add been around the block driven HARD!

Mine had only done 65,000kms.

I owned the GTR for 2 years. In that time i rebuilt the engine ($10,000+) as it ran a bearing, had the 4wd system fixed ($1000s) etc etc etc

I now own a 2001 Evo 7. Its totally stock at the mo. I went for the 7 over an 8 as i prefered the look of the 7. (yep i prefer the 7s looks, feel free to have a crack at me!)

And for me its just as fun! Fast enough for the street, handles awsome and comfortable enough that it is my daily without a problem!

Fits 4 people with ease.

After owning this car i wouldnt bother going back to GTRs, unless its a 34 or 35.

With a few tweeks you can see good power from the evo. There are plenty of parts around for it. Lots of support and a good car community.

The evo feels much newer (well i mean it is 2001 compared to a 1995), feels less thrashed, feels like a brand new car.

IMO i wouldnt get another old GTR and S15s have never done it for me as i prefer something more sports car feel (4wd all the way!)

The evo is a quick street car and fun if you take it to the track...

my 2cents

thankyou so much.. most useful post for me personally!

while we're on it, daily commuting fuel economy.. what kinda distances are you guys getting? 400kms a tank? 350.. u have a 48L tank yeh?

48l tank in the 7, 8/9 have a 55l.

My 7 gets about 270-330 depending how I drive that's with a stuffed o2 sensor also, some owners get to 350 but the fuel economy isn't the greatest in these. 8/9 can get up to 450+ with an easy foot.

Daily mine with coils feels nice and has room for the family.

7s are good we usually get 350 in ours. It's all about the tune and there's a tweak u can make on the afm that most don't know about to lean out the sensor so u fuel economy is better.

Good part is the interchangeability of parts.

I luv evos and always will but the interior feels like a sedan rather than sports car and parts ain't cheap either

Parts aren't cheap compared to silvias. I went from a 180sx to an evo V, best decision I ever made. With a full exhaust, walbro, piping kit, cold air box and intake I walked away from my tuner with 220KWatw running 98RON with a flat 11 afr on 23psi. If your worried about engine performance don't, it easy to make power like this for under $1500. You don't even have to buy an ECU because the stock one is better than most aftermarket ECU's. You can also tune and log yourself if you have a laptop and a cable. The downside to the EVO 7 and 6.5 TME is that some came with a weak connecting rod and rod bolts which has lead to a few in recent time blowing a hole in the side of the block. This can be avoided by not pushing the 7 & 6.5 past 250KWatw which for me would be plenty enough.

Just some food for thought

Owned both (still curently own a evo 7)

R33 Gtr was great but getting older to keep maintained cost me a packet. Not to mention a 10k engine that went bang.

Evo 7 has had no dramas. had it 2 years and apart from the servicing which is done ever 5000 thats about it!

If i had the choice of a 34 GTR and a evo 7/8 id go the 34. But a 33 and a 7/8 evo hands down simply because its newer, better nic useally and cost a hell of a lot less to keep running